Internet cuts out periodically

MLine

Hi forum,

48 hours since I disabled the QoS and the R2 remains stable:

image.png.0800a9ca077b9232a9cd0b7f0d6f2865.png

And I'm still uploading traffic (work and Google photos).

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, kgrm said:

Hi forum,

48 hours since I disabled the QoS and the R2 remains stable:

And I'm still uploading traffic (work and Google photos).

Thanks for the update, how much data are you uploading exactly?

I have uploaded near 80gb and I already finished, now I'm sad because I need to keep the QoS feature off if I want to keep the R2 stable because my wife last Sunday upload 2 videos to Google Photos with the QoS enabled and the R2 froze.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, kgrm said:

I have uploaded near 80gb and I already finished, now I'm sad because I need to keep the QoS feature off if I want to keep the R2 stable because my wife last Sunday upload 2 videos to Google Photos with the QoS enabled and the R2 froze.

Could you let us know anything you can about how you're doing these uploads i.e. what devices you're using to do so, is it on all devices etc?

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you let us know anything you can about how you're doing these uploads i.e. what devices you're using to do so, is it on all devices etc?

Yes, of course, I really want that you fix this.

this is my topology:

CPE (ISP modem) <-----static DHCP and DMZ enabled-----> R2 (Wifi shutdown but is the DHCP server)<-----> Third party Wifi mesh routers (just 5ghz / bridge mode)<------> LAN devices (Phones, TVs, Laptops, server, etc)

Since Google is going to remove the "free high quality storage" we were backing up our photos/videos and we were uploading from our iPhones and Laptops, but from R2 perspective the "upload" traffic comes via "Wire" because the Laptop or the iPhones are connecting to the "3rd party Wifi Mesh" and those APs are connected via wire to the R2.

If you have any additional doubt, please let me know.

My scenario is almost the same as this post:

Yes, the same behavior directly or via Wireless (using 3rd party APs), could be a temperature issue, I'm not able to use a 3rd party app to monitor the temperature of the R2, I use the "ServerCat" app to monitor the resources and temperature of my home server but I cannot connect to the R2 via telnet/ssh.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, kgrm said:

Yes, the same behavior directly or via Wireless (using 3rd party APs), could be a temperature issue, I'm not able to use a 3rd party app to monitor the temperature of the R2, I use the "ServerCat" app to monitor the resources and temperature of my home server but I cannot connect to the R2 via telnet/ssh.

Okay great thanks a lot, will pass it onto the team

Hi forum, 

To keep update this post, the last status is that R2 remains stable with the QoS disabled:

image.png.8477799fcf97d77633cbda5b1a56edd5.png

This weekend I'm going to enable the QoS feature in order to re-confirm if is the QoS the problem, keep you posted.

On 4/30/2021 at 3:20 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Don't have an ETA currently but as long as you've still got plenty of time within your year warranty I'd wait for the firmware before going down the replacement route as there is no guarantee you won't have the issue on the new one. If you want to proceed with that then email [email protected] with a link to this topic and your order number.

Hi Fraser,

Any updated eta on the new firmware yet?

Thanks

Mike

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, MLine said:

Hi Fraser,

Any updated eta on the new firmware yet?

Thanks

Mike

I haven't heard anything yet, we're still working on the sprint, hopeful it will be soon as I have mentioned to the team it's been awhile since we've had a new firmware

On 5/27/2021 at 11:57 AM, kgrm said:

Hi forum, 

To keep update this post, the last status is that R2 remains stable with the QoS disabled:

image.png.8477799fcf97d77633cbda5b1a56edd5.png

This weekend I'm going to enable the QoS feature in order to re-confirm if is the QoS the problem, keep you posted.

Hi Forum, 

The past weekend I enable the QoS but just with the "auto-enabled" option and now I found the way to monitor the temperature, so far the R2 has remained stable.

image.png.bd7354e65edce998e616be643ec5af16.png

This Weekend I'm going to enable the QoS and I'm going to monitor the temperature to know if the "freeze" issue is related to the temperature. I will keep you posted.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's great, look forward to your results. How did you manage to monitor the temperature?

Hey Fraser what is the operating temperature range (min/max) of R2 routers?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, kgrm said:

Hey Fraser what is the operating temperature range (min/max) of R2 routers?

I will have to ask the team to see if they have any information on that but I suspect it will vary with the amount of air flow in the room.

Hi Fraser, 

Since I flipped the router (see the image attached) to install my "Sensor push" to "monitor" the temperature I have tried everything to brick the R2 again with no luck, but I noticed when the QoS is ON and I'm uploading traffic the temperature increase very very fast so I suspect that when R2 was stuck before it was related to high temperatures 

image.png.68a678ec4b3f9a030459d20a70704523.png

In fact, I think this post is related to high-temperature issues (and others that I have read that it stops randomly and they lost all connectivity of R2):

This weekend I'm going to normalize the R2 position to see if I can brick it when the temperature grows without the correct airflow that it has now. Keep you posted.

image.png

Screenshot 2021-06-07 091607.jpg

Screenshot 2021-06-07 092144.jpg

I've had mine raised up for airflow since I got it last year and that hasn't helped at all, but I've had a hunch the disconnects were a QoS Issue. A month or so ago, mine was stable for probably close to two weeks until I disabled all QoS features for a download that seemed to be throttled and that seemed to mess up the R2 again, even after reverting the settings. I've done too many resets to counts and reinstalled the firmware multiple times to try get it stable again, but no luck. I thought the QoS thing that had happened was more like metaphorically sacrificing goats because that seem to have kept the earthquakes at bay than a real reason for problems, but maybe there is something to it.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, leviduncan93 said:

I've had mine raised up for airflow since I got it last year and that hasn't helped at all, but I've had a hunch the disconnects were a QoS Issue. A month or so ago, mine was stable for probably close to two weeks until I disabled all QoS features for a download that seemed to be throttled and that seemed to mess up the R2 again, even after reverting the settings. I've done too many resets to counts and reinstalled the firmware multiple times to try get it stable again, but no luck. I thought the QoS thing that had happened was more like metaphorically sacrificing goats because that seem to have kept the earthquakes at bay than a real reason for problems, but maybe there is something to it.

Wait so you think disabling QoS caused the issue? That would be really odd as disabling QoS would reduce the load on the router and packets would be free to do their thing without being prioritized etc

Correct, unless it was one heck of a coincidence. I agree that it sounds like it should be the other way around and like I said, I can’t replicate it, so I really don’t know. I just saw that someone else seemed to connect the disconnects to QoS, so I thought I’d chime in. 
 The way things stand now, I have to restart at least once a day. Pretty much always in the morning (not at the  same time, but it usually does between 5 and 7am) and sometimes in the afternoon (like today when I got home and got on to look at the big June 8th netduma news). 
  In the past, when I could get it to stay connected for a few days at a time, I thought it might be QoS, but that was also something I was frequently changing, so correlation not equaling causation and all that. 

Just now, leviduncan93 said:

Correct, unless it was one heck of a coincidence. I agree that it sounds like it should be the other way around and like I said, I can’t replicate it, so I really don’t know. I just saw that someone else seemed to connect the disconnects to QoS, so I thought I’d chime in. 
 The way things stand now, I have to restart at least once a day. Pretty much always in the morning (not at the  same time, but it usually does between 5 and 7am) and sometimes in the afternoon (like today when I got home and got on to look at the big June 8th netduma news). 
  In the past, when I could get it to stay connected for a few days at a time, I thought it might be QoS, but that was also something I was frequently changing, so correlation not equaling causation and all that. 

Try to cold it down by installing it in another place fresher or install it a fan temporarily, I have been doing tests and it looks the issue is related to high temperature.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, leviduncan93 said:

If you could see how you get on with the stability of it on vs off and let us know your results that would be great, also good advice above