Internet cuts out periodically

MLine

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, MLine said:

Is there any updated ETA on the firmware? If not  would it be possible to arrange a replacement.

I left it too long for the refund above.

Thanks

Don't have an ETA currently but as long as you've still got plenty of time within your year warranty I'd wait for the firmware before going down the replacement route as there is no guarantee you won't have the issue on the new one. If you want to proceed with that then email [email protected] with a link to this topic and your order number.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi forum,

Maybe it helps, my R2 router (3.0.205) has been stable for the last 4-6 months but the last week I created some "personal" lists of Adblocker, enable the DMZ to my PS5, I shut down the 2.4ghz WiFi permanently and I changed the secondary DNS from 1.1.1.1 to OpenDNS servers (208.67.x.x) and now I'm facing this issue, randomly the R2 lost the connection to internet/LAN, I cannot login to the R2 or ping to the 192.168.77.1, actually from my computer I cannot reach other devices on the same network (192.168.77.x/24). This happened 3 times in the last 48hrs and the solution is reset it from the power cable.

Now, I did a factory reset and now I'm testing it.

Keep you posted.

Info:

R2, static DHCP configured, Firm: R2 3.0.205.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, kgrm said:

Hi forum,

Maybe it helps, my R2 router (3.0.205) has been stable for the last 4-6 months but the last week I created some "personal" lists of Adblocker, enable the DMZ to my PS5, I shut down the 2.4ghz WiFi permanently and I changed the secondary DNS from 1.1.1.1 to OpenDNS servers (208.67.x.x) and now I'm facing this issue, randomly the R2 lost the connection to internet/LAN, I cannot login to the R2 or ping to the 192.168.77.1, actually from my computer I cannot reach other devices on the same network (192.168.77.x/24). This happened 3 times in the last 48hrs and the solution is reset it from the power cable.

Now, I did a factory reset and now I'm testing it.

Keep you posted.

Info:

R2, static DHCP configured, Firm: R2 3.0.205.

Can you not enable the DMZ please and see if it stops the issue?

it just happened again:

image.thumb.png.58c8bc1aaf11628b6906110ec23e47e0.png

And the DMZ is disabled:

image.thumb.png.acd1b74ca5b973c14f5b68c6dca04ee3.png

I have enabled the WiFi 2.4ghz, because something changed because for the last months my R2 has been stable.

OK, let me first test if enabling the WiFi 2.4ghz fix the issue, because as I said before, something changed (software) and now is unstable.

if the R2 fails again, I will change the ethernet cable to the ISP modem

btw, how the cable can brick the whole R2? because if the cable is the problem, I should only lost the connection to internet but I lost all connection on my LAN.

Thanks!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, kgrm said:

OK, let me first test if enabling the WiFi 2.4ghz fix the issue, because as I said before, something changed (software) and now is unstable.

if the R2 fails again, I will change the ethernet cable to the ISP modem

btw, how the cable can brick the whole R2? because if the cable is the problem, I should only lost the connection to internet but I lost all connection on my LAN.

Thanks!

Okay keep us posted. It's not likely to have caused that specifically but the time outs above it could be causing

I found a "pattern" of this issue, I have a contract with my ISP 100mbps/20mbps and I have set a limit of QoS for download 75mbps and for upload 10mbps and the last 3 days I have been uploading a bunch of data (80gb in total) and since I started to upload the data the instability began.

Since the last freeze, I enabled again the 2.4ghz and disable the QoS and the router has 3:30hrs stable:

image.png.90b1b1dce4f909cd25f0e50f3ab16adb.png

I will give you another update tomorrow or this Monday.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay keep us posted. It's not likely to have caused that specifically but the time outs above it could be causing

Those "time outs" were when the router bricked and I reset disconnecting the power.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, kgrm said:

I found a "pattern" of this issue, I have a contract with my ISP 100mbps/20mbps and I have set a limit of QoS for download 75mbps and for upload 10mbps and the last 3 days I have been uploading a bunch of data (80gb in total) and since I started to upload the data the instability began.

Since the last freeze, I enabled again the 2.4ghz and disable the QoS and the router has 3:30hrs stable:

image.png.90b1b1dce4f909cd25f0e50f3ab16adb.png

I will give you another update tomorrow or this Monday.

Thanks!

Interesting, are you doing the uploading via WiFi or ethernet? What is the modem model as well? Good job on determining the pattern, hopefully that is it and we can work out why that's causing it

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Interesting, are you doing the uploading via WiFi or ethernet? What is the modem model as well? Good job on determining the pattern, hopefully that is it and we can work out why that's causing it

I was uploading via ethernet, the ISP modem model is Huawei HG8245Q2, since I stopped "upload" traffic from my computer the R2 has been stable for the last 14hrs, I will continue upload traffic this Monday without QoS, if the instability starts again, I think we can determine that the issue is related to upload traffic constantly per some hours. 

Keep you updated.

image.png.dd856cb4ca2e6e307e9dd60cf3a689f3.png

The HG does not have a firewall (or are you saying disabling the DMZ?) and there is not other device in my network connected to the HG directly or Wifi.

this is how looks the "security tab":

image.png.e18bf5bee714efb2afd51932f8b73fc2.png

image.png.7fa88be170e8b2b06f0570042a354fa6.png

image.png.56949f1f4b0103ce1b5438d99d367c0d.png

image.png.cc8d007f1749c7d07baa2f16a3b4c1a5.png

image.png.1f5feac2b273056110a3e3faa434deb0.png

image.png.ad735e148b2b10238e2892dd1159ec35.png

btw, the router remains stable for the last 19hrs (QoS disabled and I'm not uploading anything)

image.png.772a31b753c6b007f2964bfc8e0b250f.png

I started upload traffic with the QoS enabled and an hour later the R2 stopped working, I rebooted the R2 doing the power cycle.

image.png.2a47937b79923d3bcaa8208e95f8dc50.png

Now my plan is to upload traffic with the QoS feature disabled.

Keep you posted.

• Administrators
On 5/24/2021 at 12:13 AM, kgrm said:

I started upload traffic with the QoS enabled and an hour later the R2 stopped working, I rebooted the R2 doing the power cycle.

Now my plan is to upload traffic with the QoS feature disabled.

Keep you posted.

Thank you for your diligent testing on this, it will really help us out when trying to reproduce it and hopefully speed up finding the root cause. Look forward to your results.

Hi Fraser, 

Yesterday with the QoS disabled I uploaded near of 30gb and the R2 remains stable, today I keep uploading traffic:

image.thumb.png.8ab4f0963c812e1b9fc54ed45952828f.png

Keep you posted.

Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

That's great news, though not for identifying the issue, thanks again!

Actually I think the problem is the QoS, with the QoS enabled the router stop working after one or two hours and with the QoS disabled I have 24hrs uploading and the router remains stable.