DDNS thoughts?

Normally as you know this helps if you want internal connection from remote access, ie you are away but want access to a NAS for example if you are accessing through an IP address. 

there are security issues depending on what’s set up but I’m guessing you are not using this to access say security cameras or LoT devices.

Personally to me it’s not needed as there is a purpose to DDNS which you are not really using. I’ve never had issues with IP addresses changing either. 
That’s my thoughts anyway 😊

3 hours ago, Newfie said:

Normally as you know this helps if you want internal connection from remote access, ie you are away but want access to a NAS for example if you are accessing through an IP address. 

there are security issues depending on what’s set up but I’m guessing you are not using this to access say security cameras or LoT devices.

Personally to me it’s not needed as there is a purpose to DDNS which you are not really using. I’ve never had issues with IP addresses changing either. 
That’s my thoughts anyway 😊

Verizon hands out a new IP every 2-3 hours. 

Some IPs change the location hence changing the ms to Google or even the ISP itself.

Correct me if I’m wrong, ideally you want a IP that’s the closest to your ISP? 

or closest to Google?

I have a problem with dns i try to change it on my R2 it has dns override??? but when i put in say google dns my network cuts off resulting in a router reset. I guess dns override means its going to use my isp dns that are awful as im o n talktalk.

can anybody explain the process to change dns on the R2 please?

1 hour ago, ONEovFOUR said:

I have a problem with dns i try to change it on my R2 it has dns override??? but when i put in say google dns my network cuts off resulting in a router reset. I guess dns override means its going to use my isp dns that are awful as im o n talktalk.

can anybody explain the process to change dns on the R2 please?

You're on the right tracks, you'll just need to also toggle 'Use upstream DNS' as well.

2 hours ago, Newfie said:

Never had that issue with BT. I don’t know your isp so I can only go on what I experience.

Game on it and see how it feels.

So VZ hands 2 different IPs which vary I’ve seen.

75.x.xxx

and

100.x.xxx

The 100,  I believe is closer to my location via geo ip (Pings 12-15 to google, but 15-17 to Verizon)

75 is a little farther away (pings 12-13 to Verizon but 17-20 to google)

Which one would be better?

ofc I’ll test it but on paper what’s better? To my ISP right? But it has a farther location according to geo-ip

4 hours ago, CRarsenxL said:

Verizon hands out a new IP every 2-3 hours. 

Some IPs change the location hence changing the ms to Google or even the ISP itself.

Correct me if I’m wrong, ideally you want a IP that’s the closest to your ISP? 

or closest to Google?

Hey CR could you clarify what you mean by your ISP hands out new IPs every 2-3 hours? Do you mean they hand out new public IPs every 2-3 hours? 

Also what do you men by some IPs change the location?

What IP are you referring too when you say closest to your ISP?

Thanks!

Zippy..

3 hours ago, CRarsenxL said:

The 100.x.xxx.xxx IP is exactly where I’m located 

the 75.x.xxx.xxx is about 20-30 miles from me

Okay Thanks! Does it make that big of a difference being 20-30 miles from you in relation to ping? 

How has DDNS helped you? Does it seem to make a difference in your case? I do know it is used more for remote access like Newfie has stated..

Zippy.

I think it does help.

my ping to data centers in cod have been better.

(Connection quality in the menu)

on the 100. IP I ping around 13 ms to the first data center

On the 75 IP I ping 17ms