XR500 - PS5 Trouble Connecting to Chat Party

I recently installed a Netgear Nighthawk XR500 as an upgrade from my original Netduma R1 router.  Since I completed the switch, I have had trouble connecting to others in a chat party.  The one that I have the most trouble with is someone that is actually located within my Geo-Filter range.  I added them to the "Allowed" connections list in the Geo-Filter, but the issue still persists.  They will connect to the chat party ,but neither of us can hear each other and we both see the other with a spinning wheel.  After some 5-10 minutes it decides to miraculously connect us.  I also Port Forwarded the following ports: 1935, 3478-3480 on TCP and 3074, 3075, 3076, 3077, 3078, 3079 on UDP.  Just wondering why this might be happening and if there is any way to fix this.

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

When this occurs look at the Geo-Filter, make sure it is zoomed out, do you see anything blocked? If so allow this and it should then work

The players are able to connect to an in game party with me in the COD Cold War game.  There are two symbols that show up when the chat connection starts.  I have never seen these symbols on my R1 so I am not sure if something has changed.  I am on the East coast of the US and the one shows up in the middle of the US and the other shows up around Washington state (west coast). I cannot click on them to allow because of autoping host is turned on.  If I disable autoping host will this allow me t add these to the allowed connections?  Should I turn this back on after?

In case someone reads this in the future.  I turned off the autoping feature and they were able to connect to chat right away.  This kinda sucks because I cannot use Ping Assist.  Fortunately living in the NE USA there are plenty of games within my Geo-Filter that it isn't really affecting getting a game.

• Administrators

I don't follow - you turned off Auto Ping and it worked? Auto Ping just pings the host, it doesn't filter or anything like that but yes if you turned it off and then allowed those connections it would work. Ping Assist you should still be fine to use.

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I don't follow - you turned off Auto Ping and it worked? Auto Ping just pings the host, it doesn't filter or anything like that but yes if you turned it off and then allowed those connections it would work. Ping Assist you should still be fine to use.

Maybe it was just a one time fluke.  Will try it again over the next couple days and report back.

• 2 months later...

Still having this issue.  I have to turn off the Geo-Filter for my friends to connect to chat party on PS5.  Once we are in chat I can turn the Geo-Filter back on.  One of these friends is within my Geo-Filter range and the other is not, but both require me to disable the Geo-Filter to connect to them in chat party.  It doesnt matter who joins who.  I cannot hear them and they cannot hear me.  In the char party it just shows a spinning circle and eventually says cannot chat with them due to NAT error or something like that.

8 hours ago, cwanner73 said:

Still having this issue.  I have to turn off the Geo-Filter for my friends to connect to chat party on PS5.  Once we are in chat I can turn the Geo-Filter back on.  One of these friends is within my Geo-Filter range and the other is not, but both require me to disable the Geo-Filter to connect to them in chat party.  It doesnt matter who joins who.  I cannot hear them and they cannot hear me.  In the char party it just shows a spinning circle and eventually says cannot chat with them due to NAT error or something like that.

Thanks for reporting back, is this still the case after disabling Auto-ping, allowed the blocked peers on the Geo-filter map and then re-enabling Auto-ping? If so, it may be that there's something else you need to allow after your friends try to join you with filtering mode turned on.

2 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for reporting back, is this still the case after disabling Auto-ping, allowed the blocked peers on the Geo-filter map and then re-enabling Auto-ping? If so, it may be that there's something else you need to allow after your friends try to join you with filtering mode turned on.

All players are on the allowed list in the geo-filter screen.  Disabling auto-ping only worked that one time.  The only thing that works every time is to disable the geo-filter then it connects to chat immediately.

2 minutes ago, cwanner73 said:

All players are on the allowed list in the geo-filter screen.  Disabling auto-ping only worked that one time.  The only thing that works every time is to disable the geo-filter then it connects to chat immediately.

OK thanks, if they're still not able to join then there must be something else being blocked. Next time you party up, enable filtering mode and zoom all the way out on the Geo-filter map. Then have your friends join and watch the map the whole time they're trying to join as these blocked icons may only appear for a short while.