Xbox: Packet Loss 3 Orange Squares in EVERY CQC engagement

K0NSPIRACY

I’ve been testing numerous settings over the last week on the R2, but unfortunately Warzone feels like a total piece of shit right now whatever settings I use.

Hit detection is the worst it’s ever been for me, and I’m constantly getting the shoot first die first scenarios. I’d hold my hands up if it was my aim or playing badly but I genuinely feel behind the game, losing engagements that I should knowingly win and constantly getting shot around corners.

This is even more exaggerated in CQC and I’m getting the 3 orange square packet loss icons in every engagement...it used to be every now and again, but now it’s EVERY engagement and it’s simply making the unenjoyable/unplayable.

My wired internet connection is stable and decent (63 up and 18 down), and I get good ping to UK servers (usually 10-20ms).

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues playing on Xbox One, or have any recommended settings that may improve things...or are the servers just total shite?

I have the same problems. I play on PC and started to record my gameplay. I watched back some of my footage in slow motion and can see that I hit my shots  but that they don't count, and I also see this squares a lot. I lose a lot of gunfights because the hit reg is not there. It just doesn't count my shots. That makes me crazy. I shot first, I hit my shots, but I lose the fight anyway.

The experience with Duma OS is very very inconsistent. When I bought my router it felt great for the first weeks. I read hundred of pages, watched a lot of videos, tried so many settings. When I think I found good settings It feels good and works for some weeks. Now it feels very bad again and I didn't change anything. I'm just tired and fed up putting in so much work to make Warzone work for me.

The Warzone servers are bad but my friends all use the routers\modems they got from their internet providers and don't have these problems. How can that be? I paid good many for my router and have a worse experience. I think Duma OS sounds good on paper but just doesn't work at least with CoD.

I will go back to my old router and see if that feels worse...

6 hours ago, Waka4412 said:

I have the same problems. I play on PC and started to record my gameplay. I watched back some of my footage in slow motion and can see that I hit my shots  but that they don't count, and I also see this squares a lot. I lose a lot of gunfights because the hit reg is not there. It just doesn't count my shots. That makes me crazy. I shot first, I hit my shots, but I lose the fight anyway.

The experience with Duma OS is very very inconsistent. When I bought my router it felt great for the first weeks. I read hundred of pages, watched a lot of videos, tried so many settings. When I think I found good settings It feels good and works for some weeks. Now it feels very bad again and I didn't change anything. I'm just tired and fed up putting in so much work to make Warzone work for me.

The Warzone servers are bad but my friends all use the routers\modems they got from their internet providers and don't have these problems. How can that be? I paid good many for my router and have a worse experience. I think Duma OS sounds good on paper but just doesn't work at least with CoD.

I will go back to my old router and see if that feels worse...

Yeah sounds like we have a similar experience...whatever I do using the R2 doesn’t resolve or improve the issues I’m experiencing in game.

Let me know how you get on using just your ISP router without the R2.

• Administrators

Does the ping on the Geo-Filter fluctuate a lot when you're seeing this? Does it fluctuate on the in game ping? What is the in game ping? Does it show packet loss?

What is your exact physical setup? I.e. modem/router model - how is it setup to give the R2 an open NAT? Are ALL devices connected to the R2?

What are your Connection Benchmark test results?

26 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Does the ping on the Geo-Filter fluctuate a lot when you're seeing this? Does it fluctuate on the in game ping? What is the in game ping? Does it show packet loss?

What is your exact physical setup? I.e. modem/router model - how is it setup to give the R2 an open NAT? Are ALL devices connected to the R2?

What are your Connection Benchmark test results?

Hi Fraser. I don’t see much fluctuation in either Geo Filter or in game ping, and I can’t say if there is any packet loss when this happens in game as I’m usually dead so the time has passed to check. I don’t particularly trust the in game monitors on Xbox anyway.

In game ping is usually around 50ms and the R2 pings shows around 10-20ms. I don’t get any packet loss on any of my connection benchmark tests on R2.

Physical setup is BT Smarthub2 wired to the R2 with all devices connected to R2 (all on Wi-fi apart from Xbox One X which is hard wired). 

I’ve followed the instructions for open NAT and don’t have any issues with that. R2 IP is in DMZ on BT Smarthub2, UPNP is off, and static IP assigned to Xbox. I have all the recommend ports forwarded in LAN Network Settings, and Games Console set up for Traffic Prioritisation in QoS. I have tested and removed Bandwidth Allocation as this did nothing at all, and only seemed to make in game performance worse if throttling the download and upload speeds.

I have tested and used a variety of QoS settings but none of them have any impact on in game performance. My best AAA connection benchmark results are when I set sliders for download to 20% and upload to 5% which makes ping test under load very close (ie within 0.2ms) to average ping (as you have previously requested).

Like I said in original post, this only happens when I’m engaging with other players in CQC...and it’s almost as reliable as a heartbeat sensor as if the 3 red orange squares appear then I know there’s another player in close proximity. 

Please let me know if you require any further information. 

• Administrators

Thank you for the information, I've got an idea, can you filter using the Geo-Filter as you normally would do to get a server. Once you're loading into the game/server disable Filtering Mode on the Geo-Filter and see if those icons appear during the game. If they don't keep trying it that way, so re-enable it, wait 2 minutes so all connections are severed, search, obtain a game, switch off and let us know what you find please.

34 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for the information, I've got an idea, can you filter using the Geo-Filter as you normally would do to get a server. Once you're loading into the game/server disable Filtering Mode on the Geo-Filter and see if those icons appear during the game. If they don't keep trying it that way, so re-enable it, wait 2 minutes so all connections are severed, search, obtain a game, switch off and let us know what you find please.

Hi Fraser. Well I’ve just done some testing of my own by simply unplugging the R2 and connecting everything to the BT Smarthub2...this isn’t the result I wanted, but network performance is excellent, hit reg is crisp, I’m not stuttering during engagements, and I’ve only had the packet loss icon once in my games this evening.

I’ve gone from getting 0-1 kills per game this afternoon to 8-9 kills per this evening, so it’s as clear as day to me that there is something wrong with the R2 (or at least the settings) for it to be having such a negative impact on my gaming experience. I’m sure you would agree that the R2 is advertised and we buy it to improve online gaming network performance, however as it stands, it is doing the exact opposite...well at least for me it is.

I will try your suggestion over the next few days, however could you advise why you think the Geo Filter could be causing the issue please?

2 hours ago, Fanthom said:

You know i have the same experience with my pc but its not R2 fault, again activision f*** up with their netcode.

Please read my post above. I’ve taken the R2 out of the equation and it’s resolved my in game issues...like I said though, that’s not my idea of a fix! Try doing the same and see if your issue persists without using the R2. If not, then it’s a different issue we’re experiencing.

11 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Hi Fraser. Well I’ve just done some testing of my own by simply unplugging the R2 and connecting everything to the BT Smarthub2...this isn’t the result I wanted, but network performance is excellent, hit reg is crisp, I’m not stuttering during engagements, and I’ve only had the packet loss icon once in my games this evening.

I’ve gone from getting 0-1 kills per game this afternoon to 8-9 kills per this evening, so it’s as clear as day to me that there is something wrong with the R2 (or at least the settings) for it to be having such a negative impact on my gaming experience. I’m sure you would agree that the R2 is advertised and we buy it to improve online gaming network performance, however as it stands, it is doing the exact opposite...well at least for me it is.

I will try your suggestion over the next few days, however could you advise why you think the Geo Filter could be causing the issue please?

Thanks for the update, give Fraser's suggestion a go over the next few days and let us know how it feels in-game. Pay close attention to what times of day you're playing and what the experience is like as there may also be a correlation here.

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for the update, give Fraser's suggestion a go over the next few days and let us know how it feels in-game. Pay close attention to what times of day you're playing and what the experience is like as there may also be a correlation here.

Yeah I will test out Frasers suggestion.

Is there a known issue with the Geo Filter that could be causing this issue? (such as causing packet loss to players located outside of the filter?).

I get those issues using the R2 in both afternoon, evening and late night so time of day is irrelevant, but definitely happens in EVERY close quarters engagement (I don’t get packet loss when shooting someone at range and it’s hard to say if hit reg is affected when sniping).

1 hour ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Yeah I will test out Frasers suggestion.

Is there a known issue with the Geo Filter that could be causing this issue? (such as causing packet loss to players located outside of the filter?).

I get those issues using the R2 in both afternoon, evening and late night so time of day is irrelevant, but definitely happens in EVERY close quarters engagement (I don’t get packet loss when shooting someone at range and it’s hard to say if hit reg is affected when sniping).

I have exactly the same problem. No problem with long range fights. But in close quarters especially with fast shooting guns the hitreg disappears.

I don't use the geofilter. I noticed that I also have alot more prio upload packages than download packages. Almost twice as much.

14 minutes ago, Waka4412 said:

I have exactly the same problem. No problem with long range fights. But in close quarters especially with fast shooting guns the hitreg disappears.

I don't use the geofilter. I noticed that I also have alot more prio upload packages than download packages. Almost twice as much.

I’ve recently rebooted my R2 so TP stats have been reset, however I can confirm that my upload were also significantly higher than download packets using the Games Console setting. I don’t know if this would have anything to do with this issue.

Also worth noting that I tried using UDP3074 as a TP rule with Games Console turned off (as advised on a video posted on here) but it didn’t have any packets at all. I still had the same issues so I don’t think it’s anything to do with TP packets.

Have you tried playing without the R2 connected yet? I connected direct to ISP router last night and this instantly resolved my issues, so the R2 is definitely the root of the problem.

11 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Please read my post above. I’ve taken the R2 out of the equation and it’s resolved my in game issues...like I said though, that’s not my idea of a fix! Try doing the same and see if your issue persists without using the R2. If not, then it’s a different issue we’re experiencing.

I’ve taken the R2 out  too and still the same. Worst multiplayer i ever played, well done activision.  I bought R2 and thought i will fix my game experience with cod but not the slightest improvement, even worse because in bridge mode i had problems with connecting to R2 so now just using my isp modem.

2 minutes ago, Fanthom said:

I’ve taken the R2 out  too and still the same. Worst multiplayer i ever played, well done activision.

Yeah I can’t disagree with that due to all the ongoing issues with the game, but unfortunately I can’t blame them for this particular issue that I’m experiencing as it’s clearly the R2 causing it, however I’m just about to jump on and see if the issues have still cleared during day time hours.

• Administrators

It's just an idea but it could be the Geo-Filter is blocking a server that is required - though if this were the case I'd expect you to be kicked really.

The upload higher than download packets is something that has been brought up before so it could be that. In which case there are quite a few topics around on the forum of users suggesting different Traffic Prio rules which they found helped the most.

43 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's just an idea but it could be the Geo-Filter is blocking a server that is required - though if this were the case I'd expect you to be kicked really.

The upload higher than download packets is something that has been brought up before so it could be that. In which case there are quite a few topics around on the forum of users suggesting different Traffic Prio rules which they found helped the most.

Ok. I’ll test the method you suggested but I’m going to try enjoy a few days of being able to kill other players for a few days first before plugging the R2 back in.

At the moment all my devices are connected to the BT Smarthub2. Would it be best to just connect the Xbox and laptop to the R2, and leave all other devices on the BT Smarthub2? (obviously need laptop connected to access DumaOS).

17 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

I’ve recently rebooted my R2 so TP stats have been reset, however I can confirm that my upload were also significantly higher than download packets using the Games Console setting. I don’t know if this would have anything to do with this issue.

Also worth noting that I tried using UDP3074 as a TP rule with Games Console turned off (as advised on a video posted on here) but it didn’t have any packets at all. I still had the same issues so I don’t think it’s anything to do with TP packets.

Have you tried playing without the R2 connected yet? I connected direct to ISP router last night and this instantly resolved my issues, so the R2 is definitely the root of the problem.

I haven't had time but I will try on the weekend.

On 3/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, K0NSPIRACY said:

I have now tested Warzone with my old router for a few days and it is 100% better. I have a normal hitreg, and also don't die in seconds. So I guess the QoS of DumaOs is currently not working with Warzone.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Waka4412 said:

I have now tested Warzone with my old router for a few days and it is 100% better. I have a normal hitreg, and also don't die in seconds. So I guess the QoS of DumaOs is currently not working with Warzone.

Did you have all devices connected to the R2 when you were testing it?

18 hours ago, Waka4412 said:

I don’t know if it’s the QoS but it’s definitely something to do with DumaOS or at least our settings. I haven’t plugged my R2 back in yet, and I’ve tested all the suggested methods on here so I’m none the wiser at the moment...my R2 is just gathering dust as it’s basically useless to me right now.