NETDUMA R2 vs FIFA 21

Martin D

Hi everyone,

I need to share my experience with the router NETDUMA R2.

If anyone is going to buy this router to solve the problem with gameplay in FIFA 21 , please save your 200 €.

After playing cca 450 games against online opponents , this is not the solution. The quality of the game will be the same as with 15 € router.

i tried all the possibe conbinations in the setting , sometimes you will get the feeling that it is great , but after 1-2 days it will disspear.

maybe it is great router for other games but definitelly not for FIFA.

If someone is interesting I connect mostly to the servers in Frankfurt , sometimes even the Geofilter is  "ON" with maximal allowed ping of 20 , the router let me in the game with PING 200 +.

you can use DMZ, UPNP, PORT FORWARDING , STATIC IP, DHCP, change the DNS SERVERS an many other setting , many conbinations ,  but in the final there is not longterm improvement.

• Administrators

Your Ping Under Load could be lower, by experimenting with Congestion Control on Always can you get them any lower?

What are your Traffic Prioritization settings?

So you don't have a modem or anything like that, just a cable from the wall direct into the router?

Did you test the MTU value to ensure you don't get fragmentation with that number?

DNS you don't need to put the router IP in there, that could cause a loop potentially. I see you're using OpenDNS so use both servers:

Primary 208.67.222.222
Secondary 208.67.220.220

Your Ping Under Load could be lower, by experimenting with Congestion Control on Always can you get them any lower?

Sorry i did not get the point , so what should I change to get "Ping Under Load"  lower ?

What are your Traffic Prioritization settings?image.thumb.png.01eb90c7952df5d07b56978f27f606c7.png

So you don't have a modem or anything like that, just a cable from the wall direct into the router? >>> Yes

Did you test the MTU value to ensure you don't get fragmentation with that number? >> how should I do it ? setup MTU 1490 = test, setup MTU 1480 = test ? and so on ?

DNS you don't need to put the router IP in there, that could cause a loop potentially. I see you're using OpenDNS so use both servers:

Primary 208.67.222.222
Secondary 208.67.220.220

I can change it, but I already tried all the DNS in the world , without any positive impact

4 hours ago, Martin D said:

Sorry i did not get the point , so what should I change to get "Ping Under Load"  lower ?

What are your Traffic Prioritization settings?image.thumb.png.01eb90c7952df5d07b56978f27f606c7.png

So you don't have a modem or anything like that, just a cable from the wall direct into the router? >>> Yes

Did you test the MTU value to ensure you don't get fragmentation with that number? >> how should I do it ? setup MTU 1490 = test, setup MTU 1480 = test ? and so on ?

Primary 208.67.222.222
Secondary 208.67.220.220

I can change it, but I already tried all the DNS in the world , without any positive impact

I have router TL-WR940N , should I connect : cable>>> TL-WR940N >> NETDUMA R2 ?

if yes , what seetings do i need to do in the TL-WR940N ? regarding DMZ, UPNP, PORT FORWARDING , STATIC IP, DHCP ,DNS ?

@Martin D Fraser was suggesting you go to QoS -> Congestion Control and conduct a few tests by adjusting the two sliders and seeing if you can get your ping test under load result a little flatter.

You could introduce the router into the equation but I personally don't see this having much affect on this particular issue.

9 hours ago, grgnta said:

„i tried all the possibe conbinations in the setting , sometimes you will get the feeling that it is great , but after 1-2 days it will disspear.“

100% agree with you :(

Welcome to the forum!

What games are you seeing this with? Perhaps we could help :) 

5 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Welcome to the forum!

What games are you seeing this with? Perhaps we could help :) 

Hello, thank you for the quick feedback. I got the R2 especially for Fifa. I was hoping that I would get better and more playable gameplay. I am from Germany and have set the Geo Filter to the Frankfurt servers. I also get opponents with 13-14 ping but it doesn't play like that. I am disadvantaged by one-sided delay. With the opponent it runs smoothly. Don't get me wrong, the R2 works in the sense that it blocks certain servers and you get opponents from close by. It's just that there is no advantage for us. As the previous speaker wrote, sometimes you have playable gameplay but very rarely and not at all consistently. With qos I have A+ everywhere and with dsl reports the test also shows me A+ with bufferbloat. I just think that some people benefit from their geographical location and therefore have good gameplay all the time. Sorry for my bad English.

• Administrators

Regarding MTU here is an easy way to test it and how to set it: 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/190/#:~:text=One of the easy and most accurate ways,the packet no longer needs to be fragmented.

If you do it incorrectly it will give you a worse connection, that's why it's generally better to leave it default. 

Have you adjusted QoS now to get Ping Under Load flatter?

Hi Fraser,

regarding MTU  = 1455 looks best for me image.png.619ea00593680e57906e619bd2e8ae37.png have used:  ping www.google.com -f -l

reagrding Ping Under Load flatter , the results are very similar  , whatever percentage in QOS i setup.

when I use 55% upload , 55 % download    

the result is :image.thumb.png.0c6e0b1edb5485f05e0b91cc87834edd.png

here is the result when 5% download + 5% upload

image.thumb.png.6a1a200c58736d39ab868cad9796cc28.png

Do you have some similar link for the best DNS as for MTU setting?

image.png

So , again , spent quantum of hours with another setings >>> the result is not even 0,00001 % better , so I defintelly confirm that this router is not gonna improve the gameplay of FIFA 21.

just my little remark :

Fraser asked me about  physical setup of the router = Liam said "don't see this having much affect "

Fraser asked me about  MTU = MTU won't really have an affect on the game though

Regarding the DNS it absolutelly does not matter what DNS you are using in this game.I am really frustrated , I can not enjoy this game especially in these times...

Anyway thanks for your  effort  lads , the router can be used as nice decorative element  in this case (FIFA 21 :-)

Yes i did, 2 times from 100% down in increments of 5%.

The video is not needed, in the video you will not be able to recognize the problem if you do not hold the controller in the synchronous connection with the game  +  if you are not FIFA player it will take another week to explain all the impacts.

simply: imagine you are playing football , but your players moving like playing on the ice., the feedback reactions are so slow taht if you try to do some tricks with the ball it is not possible because the command somehow dissapear , button delay is huge....

basically there is cca 95 % players having this problems with FIFA, and I have to accept it.

I am an adult playing for fun FIFA since 98´ , the point is that if there are some children or teenagers they can save their money in case they want to buy  some router to "fight with the online gameplay in FIFA" it is not possible in longterm meaning even with  NETDUMA R2.

but as I can see , my sons playing some action games like Fornite and they do not have any problems with lags or bugs.

So lets close this topic with some final conclusion.

If you guys know someone who bought this router and his online gameplay in FIFA 21 improved for more than 5  days, please let me know.

till then , I have to definetelly confirm that I bought quite expensive piece of something that does not fulfill the purpose of use. 

not sure if I can get my money back , but I will get the same results with 15€ router.

I did not get the answer on any of my questions regarding the setting ,  so bit dissapointed.

• Administrators

Did you experiment with Traffic Prioritization and did you see if you get the same issue direct to your modem? If you get the issue direct to your modem with no other devices being used then it isn't an issue on your side that can be resolved.