Share Excess

CRarsenxL

I have seen numerous posts about disabling share excess for more stable gameplay. Can I get some insight into this? I have noticed that whenever shared excess is on, I sometimes in pull 3k bandwidth on cod

1 hour ago, fiefo said:

I have seen numerous posts about disabling share excess for more stable gameplay. Can I get some insight into this? I have noticed that whenever shared excess is on, I sometimes in pull 3k bandwidth on cod

I think most people that disable share excess do it so that they can set a certain max bandwidth to certain devices, in essence getting on the right side of lag comp. If share excess is on, you receive more bandwidth if other devices aren't using it up, likely bringing you near full speeds. Rumor has it 0.5 upload speed is preferred on CW, so people set their system to get 0.5up and turn off share excess so it doesn't receive more than 0.5up.

• Administrators

As above, people do so to throttle the connection as they think it will give them a better experience. As with all settings it's about finding what works for you, it's not something I'd necessarily recommend but if it works it works.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:54 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

As above, people do so to throttle the connection as they think it will give them a better experience. As with all settings it's about finding what works for you, it's not something I'd necessarily recommend but if it works it works.

works for me 100%. I have my PC set to 1.5 Down and 0.5 UP. Network monitor says that COD is only using 0.2 up and 0.2 down. My hit detection is INSANE now. Just have to remember to change shared access back afterwards. 

4 hours ago, Satan1976 said:

works for me 100%. I have my PC set to 1.5 Down and 0.5 UP. Network monitor says that COD is only using 0.2 up and 0.2 down. My hit detection is INSANE now. Just have to remember to change shared access back afterwards. 

Nice! Glad to hear that.

7 hours ago, Satan1976 said:

Hey, when you set 1.5 down and .5 up is that on the bandwidth chart? Or is that your settings on congestion control?

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Alan said:

Hey, when you set 1.5 down and .5 up is that on the bandwidth chart? Or is that your settings on congestion control?

I imagine that is on Bandwidth Allocation, you would need to disable share excess for that to apply a fixed limit - other devices would then be limited to their allocations as well.

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I imagine that is on Bandwidth Allocation, you would need to disable share excess for that to apply a fixed limit - other devices would then be limited to their allocations as well.

Thank you, I find it odd that you wouldn't disable share excess and allocate like 90% bandwidth up and down to gaming or a specific device. Do we know why some people are having better hit detection when only dedicated that little amount for up and down? I know online gaming doesn't use much bandwidth at all, but still trying to wrap my head around this. 

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Alan said:

Thank you, I find it odd that you wouldn't disable share excess and allocate like 90% bandwidth up and down to gaming or a specific device. Do we know why some people are having better hit detection when only dedicated that little amount for up and down? I know online gaming doesn't use much bandwidth at all, but still trying to wrap my head around this. 

As you said, gaming doesn't use a lot of bandwidth at all, around 1Mbps at most so doing that would unnecessarily restrict other devices. Some people theorize that by throttling your speeds that it gives you lag compensation.