Issues since getting the NetdumaR2

HaydenBee

Hi! I purchased the NetdumaR2 a couple months back and have since been having my internet disconnect for 10-20 seconds at a time, usually every 30 minutes to an hour (at worst). This happens to all devices, connected both via ethernet and wifi. Sometimes it goes a day or two without happening, then the next day it will happen every 20 minutes for hours. I have been in contact with my ISP but they can't seem to figure out what's happening. I have updated the firmware of the router, factory reset it multiple times, but nothing seems to work.

Another issue is that every time I restart the router with any device plugged into it via ethernet, the router apparently 'bridges' the connection and lets the device connected get an IP instead of the router (these were roughly the words of the tech support at my ISP, I may have slightly butchered the wording). This renders my entire network unusable until I call my ISP to manually kick the connection and restart the router again with no devices connected.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated :) thanks!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. What is the ISP modem/router you're using? When it 'bridges' how are cables connected to the R2 exactly - is the device plugged into the internet port or a LAN port when restarted?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. What is the ISP modem/router you're using? When it 'bridges' how are cables connected to the R2 exactly - is the device plugged into the internet port or a LAN port when restarted?

Hi! I am in Australia, with aussiebroadband as my isp, using FTTC technology. This means that i have an NBN "FTTC Connection Device", which connects via WAN port to the NetdumaR2 router. I have 5 devices connected to the LAN ports, three directly and 2 via a network switch (so i have a cable running from the 4th LAN port on the router to a network switch, and I have 2 devices connected to that switch).

Thanks a lot!

• Administrators

Great thank you, that's a modem then. On the R2, in DHCP options change the DHCP lease to 168. When the issue happens are you able to access the interface? If so go to System Information - does it get a WAN IP? Also in the log are there any entries around the time of the disconnections?

Under DHCP Lease Time, there is hours and minutes. It's currently set to 12 hours 0 minutes. Did you want me to change the hours to 168 hours 0 minutes? Next time it disconnects I will take note of the logs and WAN IP, and will reply again

Hi! So it took around 4 hours to go out again since last night, these were the logs at the time of disconnect: (it happened at 21:35). The WAN IP was the same as it normally is. The issue with the 'bridging' only happens when the router is restarted, so next time that happens for whatever reason i will update with what the WAP IP is.

Edited by HaydenBee
removed images

• Administrators

Okay interesting thank you, so I think it is when your public IP renews that you're getting this issue. Can you obtain the specific static details for your IP from the ISP and then enter them as static in WAN Settings and see if that resolves it please?

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay interesting thank you, so I think it is when your public IP renews that you're getting this issue. Can you obtain the specific static details for your IP from the ISP and then enter them as static in WAN Settings and see if that resolves it please?

Ill chime in here, also a aussie broadband user and this issue is due to 30 minute wan ip lease. Well that's the dropout part, the other part is an issue somewhere in the r2 code as lan devices are connecting before wan so therefore the lan is getting the ip and not the wan. This occurred on the xr500 aswell. It doesn't happen on the r1. 

For the 30 minute wan lease dropout maybe netduma can look at the dhcp query frequency. Unfortunately this happens on alot of routers and providers. My r2 should be here by the end of week ill do some testing myself. 

FYI aussie amongst most rsps in Oz use dhcp for the ip and can't set static ip up, even if they provide a static ip it still comes in via dhcp... silly really 

Oh and the OP might want to edit his IP out of the pics 

Instead of calling ABB you can kick your own connection through their app for your phone. I used to have issues where the router just wouldn't get a WAN IP even after power cycling everything and wasting 30 mins I found the quickest way is to stop turning everything off lol. Keep the router and NTD on, unplug cable from WAN port, kick connection via the app, wait 5 or so mins tops then plug cable back into WAN. Might save you a call

Thanks for the help everyone! I have removed the images now lol, but otherwise, what is the best solution here? Mainly for the 30 minute dropout issue. If i can't get my ISP to give me a static IP...can the issue be fixed while still using DHCP?

• Administrators

At the very least it's not going out every 30 minutes which is good. It's something we'll need to look into really. Do you have an old router you could put in between to handle the renewal of the WAN IP so that you can then give the R2 a static IP?

Ok so r2 in hand. Yep I also get this bug from time to time. Also happened on my edgerouter x but the r1 is flawless. Also the lan is taking the dhcp wan ip instead of the wan port for God knows why. This was a bug also in the xr500 router which was fixed. Can we get this looked into the lan stealing the ip that is.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So after feeling okay for around a week and a half, it has gone back to pretty constant dropouts. It's almost like a half dropout, since i can usually still hear people in discord, but my game will freezeup, chrome wont load tabs and my phone will lose all connectivity for 15-20 seconds. It happens on all devices. This is making the router nearly unusable, and i may have to bite the bullet and buy a new router if there is no solution :(

44 minutes ago, HaydenBee said:

Update: So after feeling okay for around a week and a half, it has gone back to pretty constant dropouts. It's almost like a half dropout, since i can usually still hear people in discord, but my game will freezeup, chrome wont load tabs and my phone will lose all connectivity for 15-20 seconds. It happens on all devices. This is making the router nearly unusable, and i may have to bite the bullet and buy a new router if there is no solution :(

Damn! So you don't lose connectivity all together then? Do your friends report any issues from you such as a drop in audio quality etc?