Cold War fix for NORTH America +

oRaGaMi

Hello I was having a blast with cold war till a day after Thanksgiving and then the servers seemed to go to crap here in North America. The problem seems to be packetloss related and just over all lag without the benefits of being lag compensated which comes with the additional high ping.

My fix was simply to use geo filter to force European servers where I get 100+ latency and am on the positive side of lag compensation.

Its literally back to how it was b4 thanksgiving except with high ping.

My in game ping on NA servers says 32 typically which Is actually around 18 router side.

I hope this fix helps others out also I'd like to mention I'll be toggling back to USA servers every so often to see if they have been fixed. As I come from the battlefield community and realize playing out of region is aggravating to players with low ping and playing in region.

So apologies ahead of time If you encounter StarCraftGhost

;)

The secrets out, this is fairly true i play on a 130 ping server from uk and the match making algorithm seems to benefit high ping players although frames can skip but that doesn't appear to put me at a disadvantage the hit reg is also spot on even got a brutal last night was all going well until the beers kicked in.

I would suggest ping auto set up for far away servers 😎

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So I think that is brilliant for you guys over the pond, but for us guys in the UK this is not good, earlier on in the year it wasn't a problem as you would only notice it in the odd game, or even sometimes there would be some strange networking side effect where I would feel the benefits, almost like something would rub off (Non Technical). Though just of late, its starting to become really annoying, where no game seems to be without an influx of American usurpers. I don't expect you guys to stop it either, I would be lapping that up if the shoe was on the other foot. Though Alas, when I try to distance network to the USA or anywhere else for that matter it just puts me on the wrong side of the network, again!

I know StarCraftGhos apologised in advance, but this is becoming a real issue over here, there are so many of you jumping on this network hopping rollercoaster ride. once the Americans jump into your lobby its amazing what happens, its like players beam in front of you shooting, or you don't even see the person that killed until you play back the kill cam, its insane. I have just started to knock the game off when the Americans wake up.

So I have Nutdumas what can I do to make my gaming experience as good as it should be without those pesky Yanks nicking our kills (No disrespect meant), any help would be greatly appreciated. Or is it just a case of talk to Activision to sort out their servers?

Edited by Mrbchambers
Really bad English

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Mrbchambers said:

So I think that is brilliant for you guys over the pond, but for us guys in the UK this is not good, earlier on in the year it wasn't a problem as you would only notice it in the odd game, or even sometimes there would be some strange networking side effect where I would feel the benefits, almost like something would rub off (Non Technical). Though just of late, its starting to become really annoying, where no game seems to be without an influx of American usurpers. I don't expect you guys to stop it either, I would be lapping that up if the shoe was on the other foot. Though Alas, when I try to distance network to the USA or anywhere else for that matter it just puts me on the wrong side of the network, again!

I know StarCraftGhos apologised in advance, but this is becoming a real issue over here, there are so many of you jumping on this network hopping rollercoaster ride. once the Americans jump into your lobby its amazing what happens, its like players beam in front of you shooting, or you don't even see the person that killed until you play back the kill cam, its insane. I have just started to knock the game off when the Americans wake up.

So I have Nutdumas what can I do to make my gaming experience as good as it should be without those pesky Yanks nicking our kills (No disrespect meant), any help would be greatly appreciated. Or is it just a case of talk to Activision to sort out their servers?

You can't influence where players connect from unfortunately so your best bet is to force the closest server to you or perhaps servers with a slightly higher ping and see which one works best for you in this scenario

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Waka4412 said:

Is it possible to see the ping of the other players in your Lobby? I didn't find anything.

No it's not as you all make a direct connection to the server, not to each other

Fraser: I do log onto the closest server and that is where the issue is worst, because that is when my low ping gives the greatest advantage to stateside logins. When I go father afield I suffer not only from this problem but also the negative lag issues previously discussed, and potentially add to the woes of the low ping users on those servers, if there were to be an advantage, which typically there isn’t. Also pinching someones shoes because you have lost your isn’t the answer.

The Netduma router was the best thing that ever happened to my gaming experience, and now seems to be the cause of far worse experiences than it previously negated.

For me and my fellow gamers this is a serious issue and completely changes the playing demographic of not only COD but to other games that have their main host in the good old US of A! At certain times of the day it is impossible to get into a lobby on a European server that doesn’t have a guy or guys exploiting this net coding quirk.

What really amazes me is that you didn't say this isn’t the case and you can’t do that, in fact this Forum has give information how to use an exploit (Cheat), and I didn’t think you did that?

Wakka4412: No! Though this would be nice, it would cause lots of games to be quit, and may take awhile get fill lobbies. I would appreciate it if they did this, but still might not be ideal.

• Administrators

People can force servers with the router and they've been doing this since we launched in 2014, usually people do not go so far afield as it takes longer to search for games and the ping is higher, it doesn't always work when doing that. Most people that are doing this are actually using VPNs, it's not something we can actively combat unfortunately even if we wanted to, that would be down to the game to ban known VPN IP addresses and then it wouldn't be a problem

Sorry, I’m on a bit of a rant here, and will get off my soap box after this one last point. Activision, Treyarch, Sledgehammer, Infintyward, or whomever are the Devs for this game, and all the Devs of all he other games; must know that this is a thing.

I was watching a Stateside streamer the other day playing Cod Cold War, and getting Nukes (30+ Kills without dying) with gay abandon (3 in a single match of domination). This can only be through such an exploit as this, no one is that good, or to put it another way, try to find 6 players that are that bad would be a tall order! 

Fraser thanks for the swift response: I do understand the uses of the netduma, and its capabilities/limitations. I have used mine to discover many exploits in game (Private lobbies, selective matchmaking etc), though none of the exploits I used/use are at the detriment of other gamers.

I appreciate that it isn’t a problem of your (Netdumas) making, and do understand the changing dynamic of the gaming industry and telecommunications in general. Though these issues/symptoms of the changing nature of gaming, and the interconnectedness of communities over vast distances, does need to be addressed. Here is where we have the age old problem; who is it that needs to sort it out?

My last major point is this: The Netdumas and VPN's are independently formidable tools, when combined they become so much more formidable.

I raised this issue on here, because this is where I came to find a solution to a problem that I had, with what I thought was (Traditional) lag, not some weird net code issue, and found this thread. I am sorry if I come across as derisory and don’t mean to be disrespectful in any way. More issues will be found and should be discussed, where better than on a forum like this one.

• Administrators

Well we couldn't do anything regarding preventing people forcing servers abroad as for some of our users it is needed as they don't have any servers close by so that's not an option for us, likewise we couldn't remove the HybridVPN as people have legitimate uses for that as well. We give users back some control over where they connect, however it will be down to the developers/publishers of the game to enforce rules/bans on people using VPNs etc to force servers far away - however, I suspect that it is not something they will think is necessarily a big enough problem as it's not using a specific game exploit like some of the SBMM methods were 

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Well we couldn't do anything regarding preventing people forcing servers abroad as for some of our users it is needed as they don't have any servers close by so that's not an option for us, likewise we couldn't remove the HybridVPN as people have legitimate uses for that as well. We give users back some control over where they connect, however it will be down to the developers/publishers of the game to enforce rules/bans on people using VPNs etc to force servers far away - however, I suspect that it is not something they will think is necessarily a big enough problem as it's not using a specific game exploit like some of the SBMM methods were 

I agree with you in everything you have said, and if I were in the position to use this or anything to ease my woes, I would too. I do think this something Activision need to be aware of if they aren’t already.

Would dedicated servers prevent or minimise this kind of thing? I had thought that COD Cold War had dedicated servers, then I read something about them changing their configuration, though to be honest I don’t know enough about that technology. It might be something I have to read up on to fully understand it more.

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, Mrbchambers said:

I agree with you in everything you have said, and if I were in the position to use this or anything to ease my woes, I would too. I do think this something Activision need to be aware of if they aren’t already.

Would dedicated servers prevent or minimise this kind of thing? I had thought that COD Cold War had dedicated servers, then I read something about them changing their configuration, though to be honest I don’t know enough about that technology. It might be something I have to read up on to fully understand it more.

They already uses dedicated servers and that wouldn't counteract it anyway. If they really wanted to they could do what Netflix has done and just ban VPN IPs and it would be job done basically

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

They already uses dedicated servers and that wouldn't counteract it anyway. If they really wanted to they could do what Netflix has done and just ban VPN IPs and it would be job done basically

Thats interesting, and already something that is being done, albeit elsewhere. Thank you for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I CAN CONFIRM THIS FIX and i am crying HOW BEAUTIFUL the hit detection looks in the game now 😢

EDIT: A fix if you're facing the worst HIT DETECTION even on lowest ping you can get.

• 4 weeks later...