Netduma R2 3.0.179 and earlier versions = Never reaching ISP speed

Avalon2099

Ive yet to reach the speed with a Router attached to my network, I have theNetduma R2 and it can barely pull down 700+, without the router and directly connected to the ISP (Technicolor modem) I can get 900+

I dont have another router to test and ive updated to the latest firmware and turned off congestion control and any other throttling limiters. Ive done both Becnhmark tests in the Browser router interface and through speed test on both the browser site and the app program. 

Im so confused.

Speedtest1.png

Speedtest2.png

log-1604273226721.txt

The Netduma OS has never been good with really high bandwidth. It's a trade off you have to make to get all of the other perks of their OS. These products were conceptualized when 25 -50 up and down were good speeds and 100mb was godly. The heart of the OS is made to prioritize traffic and take super congested home networks and make them playable for gamers by gettibg the game traffic to the front of the queue.  I know it sucks that you dont get your full 1G service, but its a trade off for all of the other services the router offers.  Being able to select how much bandwidth a device gets by using a slider on a GUI is actually really fancy. It's not something a layperson can do on most home use routers

Your isp modem probably does not have much processes running hence why you get full bandwidth, that changes when you add a router and what it’s running in regards to hardware and firmware.

I doubt you need QoS on a gig, you can’t saturate that easily.

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, major masingil said:

Being able to select how much bandwidth a device gets by using a slider on a GUI is actually really fancy. It's not something a layperson can do on most home use routers

What's even better is having a router that does that automatically and at speeds exceeding human response times. Cake, piece of cake etc are great at doing this and the R2 when its gets its dynamic QoS should be too, but this will always reduce speed if the chipset hasn't got the grunt to push the packets though at faster speeds.Having a 32 bit CPU or SoC like the R2 has separate radios so its not really a SoC this all means slower speeds as it cannot do so many calculations as a 64 bit CPU or Soc, but that's fair because its priced at the lower range to make it more accessible. If you only have a few people at home say 4 in the house you will never saturate a 1Gbps line and you do not need QoS. QoS is really for lines at 300Mbps and under.

So essentially, with a gig I don't need QoS, what is the point to use the router. I'm just curious since with QoS disabled completely I'm still limited. 

I understand that the router can't handle that high of connections. I did not know this before I made the purchase, this would have been a highly important thing to know. I guess that's a failing on my part to lack of research.

I'm not using the VPN, I could just as easily port forward through my ISP, is it just the Geo filter?

Should I downgrade my isp speed to 750 then? Since I'm not getting above 750?

Several things to consider here:

1. Gaming actually uses very little bandwidth, what we're really interested in at Netduma is ping
  2. The R2 hardware can hit speeds close to a gigabit in a testing environment, but real world factors may be affecting your performance
  3. QoS intentionally limits bandwidth to bring control of the queue (buffer) onto your router. Using Auto-Enable, this can be limited to only happen when games are being played.

We could have made the hardware more powerful to allow a more consistent ability to get gigabit speeds, but we had to make a call concerning cost vs performance. We wanted the R2 to be affordable for most people.

It's also worth noting that in most countries (including the UK, where we are based) it's not common to have a gigabit connection. In fact it's pretty rare. As an example, at my house near our office, I get 30Mbits download and 6Mbits upload. For me, QoS really helps, especially when my family members are downloading/streaming things.

DumaOS QoS is very helpful for people with lower bandwidth connections, as it allows them to get the most out of what little they have. For those with very good bandwidth, DumaOS may still be able to help, but QoS will be less relevant, as there's probably not going to be any queuing going on.

I would suggest adding your Games Console/PC to Traffic Priorization, setting Congestion Control to Auto-Enable, and then trying different points on the sliders... If you're getting lag, try lowering the sliders by 10% and see if results are better. Once you find a setting low enough to work, you can start moving it up again by 5%. Basically you're looking for that sweet spot, the perfect crossover between bandwidth and traffic prioritization optimization.

23 minutes ago, Avalon2099 said:

So essentially, with a gig I don't need QoS, what is the point to use the router. I'm just curious since with QoS disabled completely I'm still limited. 

I understand that the router can't handle that high of connections. I did not know this before I made the purchase, this would have been a highly important thing to know. I guess that's a failing on my part to lack of research.

I'm not using the VPN, I could just as easily port forward through my ISP, is it just the Geo filter?

Should I downgrade my isp speed to 750 then? Since I'm not getting above 750?

A lot of routers will not give you the spec for wan to lan throughput and even then many routers don’t push a gig through so you could be searching for a while. Smallnetbuilder does have charts for this and to be fair what do you normally hammer at 1 gig unless you have huge amounts of devices downloading files.

for you the geo filter will be the feature of this gaming router. 

1 minute ago, Avalon2099 said:

Quick question, what are the steps to get my ping lower than it is? Are they the same steps you listed at the end of your message?

You can’t lower your base pin if that’s what you are asking, that’s down to your line quality, no router can change that. You could lift your house nearer the DSlam but that might be quite hard 😊

Just now, Newfie said:

A lot of routers will not give you the spec for wan to lan throughput and even then many routers don’t push a gig through so you could be searching for a while. Smallnetbuilder does have charts for this and to be fair what do you normally hammer at 1 gig unless you have huge amounts of devices downloading files.

for you the geo filter will be the feature of this gaming router. 

Oh, thats fair. I'm not upset overall, just was wondering and needed to be educated on how to use this router to its fullest capabilities. If it won't reach 1000 I don't need to pay for that and can easily redo my plan to 750, saves me some money.

Guest Killhippie
On 11/2/2020 at 5:27 PM, Avalon2099 said:

Oh, thats fair. I'm not upset overall, just was wondering and needed to be educated on how to use this router to its fullest capabilities. If it won't reach 1000 I don't need to pay for that and can easily redo my plan to 750, saves me some money.

The R7800 which is what the XR500 is only hit 740Mbps in the beginning, the more processes you have going on the slower things get as the packets are processed, hence why 64bit SoC's can work faster than 32 bit ones and that's why more modern routers use them too. No router will give you 1000, you may get 940 depending on the router but noise like ENI, RFI REIN and SHINE etc and how well your cables are shielded effects your line if its copper, and quality of fibre and fiber connections etc and the number of users as well.

How many people your ISP has makes a huge difference, its called contention and some iSP's promise none though their part of the network, some run hot as they just want that sweet sweet cash, then you have the telehouses that deal with peering distribution and the CDN's like akamai and what DNS you use also an effect. Note not all third party DNS are great as they might not have DNS servers in your area so the CDN (content delivery network) delivery may come from anywhere hence buffering in video chats and streams lag in gaming etc, I use my ISP's DNS because  they are good I trust them with my info (small ISP) and they run Domain Name System Security Extensions (DNSSEC) so are safe from DNS hijacking. :)