Can you go back to a previous firmware version?

doylebl39

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, H4RV311 said:

@Netduma FraserCan you send me the original firmware so I can get my R2 to stop losing connection.  I too have reboot it constantly during the day since I updated to 179 firmware.

Or will the next firmware fix this issue and when can we expect it?

Thanks!

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Please could you take a look at and try the suggestions from this post down and see if that helps at all?

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/33563-wifi-very-unreliable/?do=findComment&comment=275773

I'll ask the team for a link to the previous firmware but it was happening on that also. The next firmware shouldn't be too far away and there will be more improvements and so more stable hopefully.

I have been having the same issue. Have to recycle the power on the router probably every few days, sometimes twice in a day according to my wife because it drops the internet connection. Did not have this problem with the previous firmware so I am going to try that again and see if it resolves that problem.

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Alias 1aB said:

I have been having the same issue. Have to recycle the power on the router probably every few days, sometimes twice in a day according to my wife because it drops the internet connection. Did not have this problem with the previous firmware so I am going to try that again and see if it resolves that problem.

Okay please do let us know how you get on.

So far after the firmware downgrade back to .123, my wife says she has had to recycle the R2's power only once in the 2 days since I flashed it back. Before she said it was happening around every 5 days or so so I am going to give it at least a week or 2 before I come to any conclusions. Lets say I have to recycle the power again tomorrow, then I will very likely flash is to .179 again and then call my ISP and tell them to refresh the IP the router is getting because it is tied to the mac ID of the router so I get the same one every time. Been like that for years with the cable ISP I have been with. I once had the same IP address for 4 straight years with the Netgear R7000 I used for 6 years. Never had to put it on static IP. Not once. IP only changed because I moved from one city to another city in a different state but ended up with the same exact internet provider. (not by choice or hence the lack of) 

Will have to see if doing that even helps any with keeping it from dropping the internet connection.

On 11/22/2020 at 9:57 PM, Alias 1aB said:

So far after the firmware downgrade back to .123, my wife says she has had to recycle the R2's power only once in the 2 days since I flashed it back. Before she said it was happening around every 5 days or so so I am going to give it at least a week or 2 before I come to any conclusions. Lets say I have to recycle the power again tomorrow, then I will very likely flash is to .179 again and then call my ISP and tell them to refresh the IP the router is getting because it is tied to the mac ID of the router so I get the same one every time. Been like that for years with the cable ISP I have been with. I once had the same IP address for 4 straight years with the Netgear R7000 I used for 6 years. Never had to put it on static IP. Not once. IP only changed because I moved from one city to another city in a different state but ended up with the same exact internet provider. (not by choice or hence the lack of) 

Will have to see if doing that even helps any with keeping it from dropping the internet connection.

I initially encountered the drop in connection at the tale end of the previous software.

I received my router Sept 23, 2020 and it was smooth sailing until around the beginning of November when the internet starting dropping. I came to the forums to look for a solution and was told to update to new firmware .179. The problem persisted so it’s happened on both firmwares. Could it be production/hardware related?

14 minutes ago, Cbarr12 said:

I initially encountered the drop in connection at the tale end of the previous software.

I received my router Sept 23, 2020 and it was smooth sailing until around the beginning of November when the internet starting dropping. I came to the forums to look for a solution and was told to update to new firmware .179. The problem persisted so it’s happened on both firmwares. Could it be production/hardware related?

Any chance of seeing of photo of your router and where it’s placed.

have you moved it at all?

Have you added any devices to it and then noticed strange behaviour?

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Cbarr12 said:

No it's most likely firmware, we'll continue to work on it and get out some updates. 

13 hours ago, Newfie said:

Any chance of seeing of photo of your router and where it’s placed.

have you moved it at all?

Have you added any devices to it and then noticed strange behaviour?

It’s in the same spot since I first installed it before there were problems. There’s really no putting it on a 4ft radial island. 
Only device I can really think I added before it started messing up was my new iPhone 12 pro, but I kept it on cell only and it would still happen. 

image.jpg

It could do with moving to be honest, even just for a test. Lots of interference there including the power lines going past the router, it all adds up.

Routers to achieve best performance really need to be away from other sources of electrical equipment. 

You could try turning the WiFi off in that position and see if it drops, EMI can have some strange side effects. 

after downgrading to .123 firmware, have only lost internet connection once so at least that works for now. But I have lost everything I gained from the .179 firmware. Better wifi range, was getting better connections to servers with geo-filter, Qos was working better, ping heatmap was working ( died again on the .123 firmware).

the new call of duty black ops is an absolute disaster. finding a server for that game is just stupid. I even completely turned geo-filter off. its almost like playing games in slow motion many matches.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Alias 1aB said:

after downgrading to .123 firmware, have only lost internet connection once so at least that works for now. But I have lost everything I gained from the .179 firmware. Better wifi range, was getting better connections to servers with geo-filter, Qos was working better, ping heatmap was working ( died again on the .123 firmware).

the new call of duty black ops is an absolute disaster. finding a server for that game is just stupid. I even completely turned geo-filter off. its almost like playing games in slow motion many matches.

There will be a new firmware soon so hopefully that will combine the good parts from each firmware for you and give a better experience. 

Ok..!! I think I have made some progress here. I was having to reboot multiple times per day and tried all the suggestions that @Netduma Fraser has been posting but still had the same issues. I have kept all of these settings he mentioned but did one other thing that has seems to have fixed the issue for 3 days now. Here is my set up:

Spectrum Modem——>R2——>eero Pros

I don’t have a static IP from Spectrum and have seen no issues with that ever

I have multiple items (Xbox’s, ps4, etc) hard wired to the R2

I have the main eero Pro hard wired to the R2. It’s set to bridge mode and feeds the other 2 eero Pros in my house

All of my WiFi connections (not sure how many but a lot..) are on my eero’s WiFi  network. All of these connections are fine, fast and stream fine and show up in the R2 settings as normal devices on the network

I have turned off all WiFi on the R2 for that reason

***Originally I had the 3 eero’s on DCHP like all other connections. What seemed to fix this issue was when I set the 3 eero’s on a reserved IP address in the R2 settings.***

So if you have other routers connected after the R2 then this may be your issue and may work for you.

Maybe it’s due to them re-leasing IP addresses under the DCHP and causing issues? Not sure and I really don’t want to jinx anything but since that change I have had no issues for 3 days with very heavy network use age with all the family in town.

Hope it keeps up and helps you all stay online!

Hey Fraser,

So I factory reset the R2, then flashed it back to the 179 firmware from 123, then factory reset it again. I did call up my ISP provider and get them to refresh my IP on their end so I do have a new IP now. It seems the only way to get a new IP from them other than calling them is literally to have my router off for at least 24 hours. No one does that these days. But anyways, since all of that, everything has been working fine. Internet connection has not dropped, Wi-fi is working well even though 2.4 GHz is still a little weak (need it for wireless HP printer and wife's cell phone). Creating 2 separate networks yields better signal strength. No wi-fi drops. Heat pingmap is functioning properly. Adblocker still has some issues with Android devices especially in Chrome so I just keep it turned off. And of course auto-setup of QoS still does not work (yes, I know you are working on it).  Trying to find the sweet spot for 150 mb down/ 10 mb up has been interesting. Upload ping at load seems to be my biggest deterrent.

Also wanted to point out the Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War hardly ever shows it connects to a server, its almost always a peer connection. Really difficult to use geo-filtering for that game if you ever want to find a game.

Glad to hear this appears to be resolved.

Thank you for the feedback regarding CoD: Cold War. We are currently preparing a cloud update which should hopefully recategorize the new CoD servers as dedicated servers rather than peers. We hope to release this update soon.

However, even if the servers are miscategorised, this shouldn’t affect your ability to find a game. Could you explain more about the problems you’re having with this?