QOS Congestion Control "auto set-up"

bobby boy

Hi

Apologies if this has been covered before but when I use "auto set-up" in Congestion Control should I be saturating the network when the tests are run? Or should I disconnect all other devices for more accurate results? I select "prioritise ping" option.

My set up is Fibre to the premises 150mb down and 30mb up. On my XR500 I used to stick at 70% on upload/download and was happy with that. Just curious about the auto-set up and if it gives better "results"

• Administrators

No you don't need to do any of that, just run the test and it will work out what is best for your connection at that time. It should give better results yes but we're working on improving it and making it more accurate so if it gives you a recommendation that is too low then just change the percentage manually to what works best for you.

Hi

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I initially asked the question as I get wildy different automatic download speeds each time I perform an auto setup. With no network traffic it recommends 49% for download, then test 5 mins later and it recommends 76% and the third test was 99%. The recommended upload is almost static at about 30%.

I'll leave the settings that I had on my XR500 for the moment.

Thanks

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, bobby boy said:

Hi

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I initially asked the question as I get wildy different automatic download speeds each time I perform an auto setup. With no network traffic it recommends 49% for download, then test 5 mins later and it recommends 76% and the third test was 99%. The recommended upload is almost static at about 30%.

I'll leave the settings that I had on my XR500 for the moment.

Thanks

It can vary based on the time of day and the general network usage of the ISP at the time.

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2020 at 9:21 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

It is not currently available on the XR500 3.0 beta build.

Thanks, another thing is ever since I downloaded the beta on xr500 it's not recommending filtering mode at all or when I manually click the filter enable it won't filter anything in games at all I'm still joining high ping server compared to before where I had two very near me with average ping of 19-20 and now I'm in 60-90 ping lobbies... I have the same set up as previous firmware with strict mode enable and filtering enable. I did all the troubleshooting like clear clouds and stuff and I'm still getting into those high ping lobby... Anything that I need to do? Any update?

12 hours ago, migueltaveras6 said:

Thanks, another thing is ever since I downloaded the beta on xr500 it's not recommending filtering mode at all or when I manually click the filter enable it won't filter anything in games at all I'm still joining high ping server compared to before where I had two very near me with average ping of 19-20 and now I'm in 60-90 ping lobbies... I have the same set up as previous firmware with strict mode enable and filtering enable. I did all the troubleshooting like clear clouds and stuff and I'm still getting into those high ping lobby... Anything that I need to do? Any update?

No update on this specifically, but I do have a suggestion. If you are adding a games console to Geo-Filter, you can click CHOOSE MANUALLY instead of looking at the list of games. This sometimes produces good results where the game-specific profiles do not.

If you are using a PC, you can change the PC's device type to PlayStation or Xbox in Device Manager and create the same effect. This may filter more traffic than just gaming traffic on a PC though, so remember to disable Filtering Mode when you're not gaming.

15 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

No update on this specifically, but I do have a suggestion. If you are adding a games console to Geo-Filter, you can click CHOOSE MANUALLY instead of looking at the list of games. This sometimes produces good results where the game-specific profiles do not.

If you are using a PC, you can change the PC's device type to PlayStation or Xbox in Device Manager and create the same effect. This may filter more traffic than just gaming traffic on a PC though, so remember to disable Filtering Mode when you're not gaming.

I did it manually and I still getting matched to a 80 ping server it was just working fine before I downloaded the beta 

• Administrators
8 hours ago, migueltaveras6 said:

I did it manually and I still getting matched to a 80 ping server it was just working fine before I downloaded the beta 

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing on the Geo-Filter when in a game please? Is the high ping shown on the Geo-Filter or in game?

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing on the Geo-Filter when in a game please? Is the high ping shown on the Geo-Filter or in game?

It was in game for call of duty... But I think I fixed it. I probably needed to restart the router after updating which I thought I did with factory reset or I changed the nat filtering to secured instead of open idk what I did exactly but I did manage to fix it 

Just now, migueltaveras6 said:

It was in game for call of duty... But I think I fixed it. I probably needed to restart the router after updating which I thought I did with factory reset or I changed the nat filtering to secured instead of open idk what I did exactly but I did manage to fix it 

I think I also set my location on geo before adding the xbox filtering 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, BryceNTilla said:

Hello! I did auto-setup and it set me up to 1% for up and download... no one is home besides me and my desktop is the only thing connected to the router

Yeah, it's super aggressive at the moment. We're making massive improvements at the moment that should hopefully be ready for the next firmware.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Chf Wiggum said:

When I did the set up it put both at 1% down and .1% up and kicked everyone off the network. I have gigabit and the router seems to only pull about 700 tops. 

Yeah, this is something you may want to tweak manually for your environment and use case. As Fraser mentioned, there are developments in the works to make Auto-setup even better.