Received a faulty router (in Kenya)

Shah_Tha_Sharq

Hello. So i received my router today and i tried setting it up i hooked up the Ethernet cable provided with the router from the blue port to my modem and another ethernet from the yellow ports to my laptop. Although some thing strange was occuring only the power light was on the other light would not turn on they would flash. I am not able to obtain an ip address at all the wifi doesnt even show up on the wifi list. I have tried doing a 30-30-30 reset but still no success. I have tried accessing it from different ip addresses but im unable to reach the web ui. When i do an ipconfig no ip address is assigned to my laptop btw the ethernet port on my laptop works perfectly fine. Seeing that i was the first to buy the router in Kenya i was excited to test it and recommend it to people although my hopes are still high so if anyone can please help me out. I have also sent videos to netduma on twitter DMs. Im not sure how i can send this router back to be replaced as shipping costs can be very high here in Kenya.

Hello, Ive watched your video and my first recommendation would be to do a factory reset to the router from the little pinhole in the back of the router.. Hold the reset in for 30 seconds then release and see if the router will fully boot up.. See if that gets you any further. 192.168.77.1 should get you into the UI.. 

If the above doesnt do anything try the same thing again but have nothing connected to the R2 but your computer.. Dont have anything else connected..

Give those a try and post back here..

Good luck.

Zippy.

Yeah. Try disconnecting R2 from everything else other than your laptop. R2 can sometimes be difficult to connect to when its starts looking for an internet connection in the background.

Also you shouldn't need to, but try giving your laptop a fixed IP address of 192.168.77.2 and try all LAN ports one at a time. (BTW LAN 1  is the farthest away from the blue WAN port.)

Make sure the paperclip is hitting the reset button square on. you should feel a soft click ( some times I fail to get it bang on and fail to feel the click and it wont reset)

hold it for 15-20 seconds if nothing happens after a while, switch r2 off /unplug power put it back on again as normal and leave it for  a good few minutes (this is what I did when I thought i'd bricked it a while back)

whatever you do don't push reset button in too hard

Hi i tried holding the rest button with everything disconnected there is still a problem. Also tried using the 30-30-30 reset method still no success. Tried assigning my laptop a static ip it still cant reach the web ui. Im also still not able to see the wifi after trying the reset, im not sure what to do now.

Please don’t use the 30.30.30 method. That can create issues and was used back in the day for the really old routers. The rest button is all you need.

When you first turn the router on you should see the WiFi lights flash away. 

When you check for the WiFi signal what devices are you using?

9 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Please don’t use the 30.30.30 method. That can create issues and was used back in the day for the really old routers. The rest button is all you need.

When you first turn the router on you should see the WiFi lights flash away. 

When you check for the WiFi signal what devices are you using?

I am using my Laptop and my mobile phone.

Just confirm that you can’t see any WiFi transmitted after the router has booted up and has been on for 5 minutes.

do the lights flicker when you first turn on the router?

you should see the WiFi lights flicker for a bit

Guest Killhippie

Ive seen the port lights flicker after a hard reset (please never do 30/30/30 on modern routers) It may be the firmware is now corrupt of the is a hardware issue, as Newfie has said @Netduma Fraser should be able to help more. It does look like its stuck in a boot loop though. but he will be able to tell you more.

1 minute ago, Killhippie said:

Ive seen the port lights flicker after a hard reset (please never do 30/30/30 on modern routers) It may be the firmware is now corrupt of the is a hardware issue, as Newfie has said @Netduma Fraser should be able to help more. It does look like its stuck in a boot loop though. but he will be able to tell you more.

That is how i recieved it out of the package it was stuck in a boot loop so i tried doing a normal reset but nothing happened so i left it for about an hour and still nothing so i was looked up online and someone recommended doing a 30 30 30 reset.

Guest Killhippie
4 minutes ago, Shah_Tha_Sharq said:

That is how i recieved it out of the package it was stuck in a boot loop so i tried doing a normal reset but nothing happened so i left it for about an hour and still nothing so i was looked up online and someone recommended doing a 30 30 30 reset.

It happens,  30/30/30 can cause issues with modern ram, its a relic of the days of routers gone by but you were not to know that. As I said I'm sure Fraser will help. :) Brand new hardware can fail I've seen it on really expensive things like a 1000 volt amp APC UPS. Sadly it does happen. 

Guest Killhippie
2 minutes ago, Shah_Tha_Sharq said:

Is there any way i can get it replaced? Cause i just received yesterday.

Speak to @Netduma Fraser  He will be able to test with you and decide the best course of action. If It was faulty on arrival he will know what to do. :)

• Administrators

@Shah_Tha_Sharq Thank you very much for all the useful information here and on Twitter. Based on all the information please could you email us [email protected] with a link to this topic and we will get you a replacement sent. Sorry that you've not had a great experience so far.

• Administrators

Sorry this has happened. Either something went wrong with the install, or it was damaged en route. Either way, we are sending you a new unit today which will be with you early next week. We will also be refunding your postage cost from your initial order. Thank you for working with us in trying to fix it, and apologies again that this was not working for you when you received it.

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

@Shah_Tha_Sharq Thank you very much for all the useful information here and on Twitter. Based on all the information please could you email us [email protected] with a link to this topic and we will get you a replacement sent. Sorry that you've not had a great experience so far.

No problem my experience was not bad. BTW the software you have developed is mind blowing.