Need help with my benchmark.

Logic

Hello, I received my R2 today :) and was wondering if my stats here are good? With the XR500 i had alot of instamelt moments on games like cod and had very inconsistent games where bullet registration just didn't work.. I feel like i had alot of issue with finding the right stats..

Can any one help me fine tune my network? I tried the auto setup on QoS but after every run it just completely turns down my download and upload speed.. Im also wondering if i could lower my bufferbloat because it feels way too high.

image.pngimage.thumb.png.d28565644564f913b3a53f23781444a8.pngimage.thumb.png.078395db0deb99213006a4000ab31429.png

Looks like an issue which I think is being worked on. Move the congestion control manually to around 70% on both. As it stands it looks like you have crippled your connection.

did you run this test with other devices running at the same time?

It's not an issue with your router.

You probably have the Compal Connect Box (lucky guess, location holland + 500/40 DL/UL = Ziggo) and it's an issue with that. You can't really iron out these ping spikes, at least after my expirience. Also when you start generating some datatraffic these are suspectible to giving bufferbloat.

Best is doing it manually with pingplotter.

6 minutes ago, Bert said:

It's not an issue with your router.

You probably have the Compal Connect Box (lucky guess, location holland + 500/40 DL/UL = Ziggo) and it's an issue with that. You can't really iron out these ping spikes, at least after my expirience. Also when you start generating some datatraffic these are suspectible to giving bufferbloat.

Best is doing it manually with pingplotter.

I don't understand pingplotter, i have installed but no clue what to do with it

5 minutes ago, Newfie said:

The idea was to saturate your network and iron out the spikes but you would have trouble saturation 480 down.

70% is a good starting point.

even with 2% on both down and upload its still peaking..

It will peak because of the info what Bert has supplied, that’s your isp. Lowering your throughput will not help your situation and you are crippling your throughput.

try 70% and have a few games and see how it feels.

Guest Killhippie

Auto test looks like it has a bug possibly so best to play at 70% and see how it feels, with the hardware issues you will never remove the the spikes as that's your ISP's equipment. As you can see in the results of the auto test it wants your download to be apparently 0% and there is no number by it. Just enjoy your gaming and and possible bugs found will be fixed but the hardware we cant help you with sadly it seems. :(

For reference,

Here is my graph. I use a XR500 but it would not matter much, my R1 produces the exact same result. I use the speedtest app to run a quick test and see what happens at different settings.

bufferbloat test XR500.png

1 minute ago, Bert said:

For reference,

Here is my graph. I use a XR500 but it would not matter much, my R1 produces the exact same result. I use the speedtest app to run a quick test and see what happens at different settings.

Strangely enough BT my isp has an issue where if you stream twitch or YouTube it introduces latency and again there is no way to work round it but the BT forum has a 90 page thread and BT have now said they are slowly putting out a fix. 
Some providers are hard work.  

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

For reference,

What do you ping? your own ip or how do you test it :P

• Netduma Staff

Hi @Logic,

I'm Adrian, one of the devs behind Connection Benchmark. First of all, looking at your screenshots your unit seems to be fine, so don't worry. Let me explain what is going on:

Your network speeds are very good, but the latency of your connection seems quite unstable (unfortunately, there is a limit on what we can do here, and in this case it seems your ISP's fault). The reason why I think that is because when I look at the Ping (Under Load) stage of the Connection Benchmark test, the idle seems very unstable.

What is happening with the Auto-Setup on QoS is that the tool is trying too hard to stabilize your connection, because its trying to ensure you don't get spikes. This is a known issue and something we plan to improve over time. In fact, a new firmware should be coming today (I believe its a matter of hours) with some fixes, including making sure the minimum value set is 1% and increasing the test accuracy. But the Auto-Setup is, in the end, a suggestion. If the speeds given to you are too low, feel free to give yourself a higher percentage (as other people suggest, 70% seems fine). Also assume that depending on the hour of the day your ISP network might vary, so I would suggest decreasing the sliders when you are experiencing lag spikes in games, and increasing them if you feel something (like a Netflix video or a download) is not being as fast as you want it to be.

Hope this helps!

2 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Strangely enough BT my isp has an issue where if you stream twitch or YouTube it introduces latency and again there is no way to work round it but the BT forum has a 90 page thread and BT have now said they are slowly putting out a fix. 
Some providers are hard work.  

I think that is something else tbh.

A lot of ISP's nowadays integrate stuff like IPTV and so on and they prioritize video streams from their side. Aka they run QoS on that. So if you try to supress your bandwidth, they are slowing down your other traffic in favor of these streams. This is done so customers don't complain when their TV gets messed up when other family members are downloading etc. 

In a very high bandwidth scenario this should never be an issue but as far as I am aware connection speeds like 70/10 are pretty common for BT and you could have an issue there.

On this particular ISP there is no such thing as they deliver TV services over another channel (Coax cable) It's purely down to the modems they use.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Adrian said:

Hi @Logic,

I'm Adrian, one of the devs behind Connection Benchmark. First of all, looking at your screenshots your unit seems to be fine, so don't worry. Let me explain what is going on:

Your network speeds are very good, but the latency of your connection seems quite unstable (unfortunately, there is a limit on what we can do here, and in this case it seems your ISP's fault). The reason why I think that is because when I look at the Ping (Under Load) stage of the Connection Benchmark test, the idle seems very unstable.

What is happening with the Auto-Setup on QoS is that the tool is trying too hard to stabilize your connection, because its trying to ensure you don't get spikes. This is a known issue and something we plan to improve over time. In fact, a new firmware should be coming today (I believe its a matter of hours) with some fixes, including making sure the minimum value set is 1% and increasing the test accuracy. But the Auto-Setup is, in the end, a suggestion. If the speeds given to you are too low, feel free to give yourself a higher percentage (as other people suggest, 70% seems fine). Also assume that depending on the hour of the day your ISP network might vary, so I would suggest decreasing the sliders when you are experiencing lag spikes in games, and increasing them if you feel something (like a Netflix video or a download) is not being as fast as you want it to be.

Hope this helps!

TBH i never had any issue with lag spikes, my ping seems to be stable between 20 and 28..

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

What do you ping? your own ip or how do you test it :P

I ping the Ziggo gateway that is after the modem, so the first hub on their network. So I can tell it's in their modem, not upstream in their network.

You can use 8.8.8.8 as well, google on AMS-IX.

I think that is something else tbh.

A lot of ISP's nowadays integrate stuff like IPTV and so on and they prioritize video streams from their side. Aka they run QoS on that. So if you try to supress your bandwidth, they are slowing down your other traffic in favor of these streams. This is done so customers don't complain when their TV gets messed up when other family members are downloading etc. 

In a very high bandwidth scenario this should never be an issue but as far as I am aware connection speeds like 70/10 are pretty common for BT and you could have an issue there.

On this particular ISP there is no such thing as they deliver TV services over another channel (Coax cable) It's purely down to the modems they use.

It’s something we have battled hard to get BT to admit too, even now no one knows what’s going on. 90 pages of people complaint has finally got them moving.

Adrian has kindly pointed out the issue, keep an eye out for the update.

I ping the Ziggo gateway that is after the modem, so the first hub on their network. So I can tell it's in their modem, not upstream in their network.

You can use 8.8.8.8 as well, google on AMS-IX.

Any isp that doesn't has this issue? I will switch if i have to. Or should i call ziggo and see if they could send me a replace unit?

• Netduma Staff
2 minutes ago, Logic said:

TBH i never had any issue with lag spikes, my ping seems to be stable between 20 and 28..

Yes, sorry, I should have expressed myself better. By spikes I meant that, the differences between 20 and 28. The tool is trying to make the ping line as horizontal as possible, as sometimes is way too much aggressive with that. We'll work on that for sure!

KPN possibly.

But you're limted to their ADSL service I imagine. I have no direct expirience with them but have read it's more stable. Would limit speeds though, to 100 mbit in my case. So really getting 100 mbit ADSL or choke the Ziggo connection to 100mbit is "lood om oud ijzer"

Where I stay there is no real alternative to Ziggo. So in the mean time it's praying to the fiber gods if they want to roll out a network here LOL.

Just now, Bert said:

KPN possibly.

But you're limted to their ADSL service I imagine. I have no direct expirience with them but have read it's more stable. Would limit speeds though, to 100 mbit in my case. So really getting 100 mbit ADSL or choke the Ziggo connection to 100mbit is "lood om oud ijzer"

Where I stay there is no real alternative to Ziggo. So in the mean time it's praying to the fiber gods if they want to roll out a network here LOL.

I live in a boerendorp ;)  So before we will get fiber i might be 90+ and switching from 500-40 to 100-10 i guess, isn't worth it.. Ziggo knows my network is unstable they did send me a some new cables that i still need to use..

@Logic 

As @Netduma Adrian promised, here's a new hotfix firmware:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/vklzjkftpdcd01t/DumaOS-R2-RC5-Production-3.0.129-100820.sig?dl=0

After installing this firmware, Auto Congestion Control should be more accurate, and it will not suggest a minimum value below 1%.

The fix included in this hotfix firmware will be rolled into the next big update, which will be released in the next few days.

To update: Download the file above, open DumaOS, click the three dots in the top right corner, choose update, upload the file you just downloaded, and wait a few minutes while the R2 restarts.

Let us know if this hotfix works for you!

31 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

@Logic 

As @Netduma Adrian promised, here's a new hotfix firmware:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/vklzjkftpdcd01t/DumaOS-R2-RC5-Production-3.0.129-100820.sig?dl=0

After installing this firmware, Auto Congestion Control should be more accurate, and it will not suggest a minimum value below 1%.

The fix included in this hotfix firmware will be rolled into the next big update, which will be released in the next few days.

To update: Download the file above, open DumaOS, click the three dots in the top right corner, choose update, upload the file you just downloaded, and wait a few minutes while the R2 restarts.

Let us know if this hotfix works for you!

Updating right now.