QOS/Bufferbloat/Ping ETC....

Infoseye

Hi everyone,  

Now that I work from home due to the pandemic, I have time on my hands to actually test my network to ensure I'm getting the best out of Netduma I'm hopping netduma experts and members will assist me on here.

The the first stage of my test is to for bufferfloat if it exist on my BT internet without my netduma router connected, then the second stage is to test with netduma router connected.

Please bear in mind I am not a network wizard, its the little I have googled, researched also what I have read on the forum.

So to start of I got BT Internet Box the speed I get is 72.28Mps download and upload is 17.28Mps, but when I run speed test using BT speed test I get 65Mbps and 16.27Mbps.

So to test if I'm experiencing buffer float which causes lag etc while gaming which I watched on a YouTube video about lag etc. So I got 67Mbps download and upload 15Mbps then latency 4ms uploaded and 58ms Loaded, according to the youtube video I watched this means I have bufferbloat on my network also the video says my unloaded and loaded should be close numbers is that right? 

Another test for bufferbloat was to use http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest all my ratings for quality and speed was okay but bufferbload was poor at worst a get a C rating.

This is PS4 connected directly to BT internetbox no netduma router at this point, please advise so far have I done a good test for bufferbloat? Do I use the actual bandwidth speed given by my ISP 72 download  and upload 17 or the speed test on BT website/Speedtes.com?

I have more questions but I would like to confirm the test above was done correctly before I asked more questions.

BT speed.png

bt.JPG

fastbt.JPG

16 minutes ago, Seye said:

Hi everyone,  

Now that I work from home due to the pandemic, I have time on my hands to actually test my network to ensure I'm getting the best out of Netduma I'm hopping netduma wizard will assist me on here.

So from day 1 of unboxing Netduma I followed the instructions on here

Please bear in mind I am not a network wizard, its the little I have googled, researched also what I have read on the forum.

So to start of I got BT Internet Box the speed I get is 72.28Mps download and upload is 17.28Mps, but when I run speed test using BT speed test I get 65Mbps and 16.27Mbps.

So to test if I'm experiencing buffer float which causes lag etc while gaming which I watched on a YouTube video about lag etc. So I got 67Mbps

upload 15Mbps then latency 4ms uploaded and 58ms Loaded, according to the youtube video I watched this means I have bufferbloat on my network, according to the video my unloaded and loaded should be close numbers is that right? 

Another test for bufferbloat was to use http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest all my ratings for quality and speed was okay but bufferbload was poor at worst a get a C rating.

This is PS4 connected directly to BT internetbox no netduma router at this point, please advise so far have I done a good test for bufferbloat? Do I use the actual bandwidth speed given by my ISP 72 download  and upload 17 or the speed test on BT website/Speedtes.com?

I have more questions but I would like to confirm the test above was done correctly before I asked more questions.

BT speed.png

bt.JPG

fastbt.JPG

Are you asking what speeds to put in the netduma?

If so I would put 71.5 download and 16.5 upload.

1 minute ago, Sable said:

Are you asking what speeds to put in the netduma?

If so I would put 71.5 download and 16.5 upload.

Thanks for the answer, I ran a test for bufferfloat is that the correct way to test network for bufferfloat?

1 hour ago, Seye said:

Thanks for the answer, I ran a test for bufferfloat is that the correct way to test network for bufferfloat?

I believe you're supposed to enter a slightly smaller value than you actually have (someone else will most likely confirm this)

When I used the Duma R1, I used to put 5% less than my actual speed. In fact, the router I'm using now it is recommended to put 15% less than your actual speed.

I just tried with my router full speed and 15% less and on DSLReports and PingPlotter my bufferbloat was much decreased with the 15% less value. 

They are 2 different things.

On Netduma you can enter your full speed as base value and then you adjust the sliders to whatever you need.

If you use something like OpenWRT with their cake/codel algorithms you need to enter a speed 10-15% lower for it to work properly.

All this really does is move the bottleneck from your ISP to your router, and then let QoS on the router do it's work.

So in case of the topic starter.

For R1, he would enter 72-17 and adjust the sliders down.

For OpenWRT he would enter something like 65 to start off with. Since the speedtest result is abou 68 MBit you could go a little lower and set it to 60-62.

Cant seem to get the downloading and uploading lower that is is other than higher, I think its now its decent for now been testing all day and the results remain the same I'm worried if I move the sliders I might not get this good results again lol .

Capture.JPG

25 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Disable Traffic Prioritization completely as well as that can affect the results.

Will do that, thanks.

2 hours ago, Bert said:

They are 2 different things.

On Netduma you can enter your full speed as base value and then you adjust the sliders to whatever you need.

If you use something like OpenWRT with their cake/codel algorithms you need to enter a speed 10-15% lower for it to work properly.

All this really does is move the bottleneck from your ISP to your router, and then let QoS on the router do it's work.

So in case of the topic starter.

For R1, he would enter 72-17 and adjust the sliders down.

For OpenWRT he would enter something like 65 to start off with. Since the speedtest result is abou 68 MBit you could go a little lower and set it to 60-62.

I always did the -15% with the Duma routers too. Had good results.

SIM has some of the best videos. Specially on this.. He will guide you to the light! lol..  I havent seen him post in sometime though.. Hope all is well with him.. Dig his videos! 👍

Zippy.

Looks like I have nailed it for now, thanks guys 😀 ... Now that bufferbloat is sorted what else can I do to get crips hit markers/ hit registration on cod modern warefare 😋

Capture.JPG

Been playing and finding lobbies based on ping, placed my location middle of ocean set the distance to 111km and my ping assist to 30. Because this help with the chat party issues on PS4, for me its still on going even if I have added them to allow list. Doing this works flawlessly but the down side is I get to play with peers more.