Lag and inconsistent packages.

Hi all, 

I have a question regarding my issues with package loss and lots of lag in games. 

It appears that i cannot get an constant connection to the internet and game with it. 

I have very inconsistent package loss and lots of lag in Warframe and Destiny 2. All ports are enabled and opened and UPnP is also opened. 

I have fixed IP to my PC but no matter what i do i get lots of lag and package loss. I have my NEtger XR500 directly connected to the fiber cable from my ISP so i only use my XR500 without the modem of the ISP. I did this via Vlans and PPPoE. No matter what DNS server i use i get very unstable connection most of the time. 

I hope someone can help me as this is driving me nuts and i suspect my ISP from doing some weird stuff of my router is dying. 

Thnx.

• Administrators

This may be down to VLAN and PPPoE as there are some issues we're aware of where QoS can't be fully utilized with it. Is it possible for you to use the ISP modem to handle this and then connect the XR to the modem without VLAN/PPPoE configured?

It worked before so well actually. But every now and then i can't game online and Warframe can't detect any NAT type on my system which is odd.

I did factory reset and redialed every thing in again but didnt work. 

Is there going to be a fix for this? As it renders my router useless because if i connect it to my ISP modem or my Fritzbox 7950, it doesn't function properly. 

• Administrators

Yes exactly. First setup PPPoE/VLAN on the Fritzbox and ensure you have internet. Then connect the XR to the Fritzbox. Remove any previous PPPoE/VLAN settings from the XR. Go to System Information on the XR and copy the WAN IP. Put that IP in the DMZ section on the Fritzbox - usually found in Firewall or Security settings. Disable the Fritz WiFi if applicable, then connect all devices to the XR and you're good to go. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

At first the router worked good but now the UDP ports simply wont open on the XR500 anymore... 

I opened Warframe and all of a sudden it says that the ports are not open as it worked before. Also on the Fritzbox and in Windows the ports do not open which is required in the game.

Why does this happen? 

I read on the net that Netgear routers can have problems with NAT filtering dated back from 2010.. This still havent been fixed yet?

• Administrators

Have the IP addresses of the device/router changed at all? That is the most likely reason as the DHCP lease may have renewed and given them new IPs. Set static/reserved IPs so they stay the same and then port changes will still apply.

Yes i tried but no luck, here's the screenshots of my settings: 

I really start to think that this thing doesnt like to run on router mode or something as something will go bad over time for no reason. I have no issues with my Fritxbox and i have it longer than the XR500..

routes.PNG

routes5.PNG

routes2.PNG

routes3.PNG

routes4.PNG

routes6.PNG

Man, this thing is the worst product i ever bought... Never i had so many issues with something as thit pos.. 

First i tried to load my saved settings that worked before but that didn't work as the router was stuck and didn't do anything so i had to reset it AGAIN.. 

I tried resetting the router but it simply didn't reset and i had to try it 3 times and on the last time it finally worked. 

After resetting and putting the UDP ports and every thing manually back to the settings that worked. It worked for a couple of hours but now i have the same thing again and the game says that i need to open up the ports i just forwarded..

When i plug the cable in my Fritzbox it works immediately without any issue.. Im starting to think that this router is failing hardware wise or the software is really really buggy.. 

Well it sounds to me like it might be down to the Fritzbox not opening ports properly for the XR500. If ports have been forwarded correctly from the Fritzbox, they should remain open for the XR500 and be available for forwarding to anywhere. I don't know why this would be happening but it's probably a communication problem between the two routers.

As a test, you could put your console into the DMZ of the XR500 temporarily and see if your ports remain open permanently. If they do remain open, it suggests a problem with the XR500's port forwarding. If they don't remain open, it suggests a Fritzbox problem.

If that was the case than why is it so that when i hook my Fritz to the PC every thing is working fine? 

I tried every thing even DMZ but nothing works reliably.. I spend 2 hours with Netgear on the phone and the guy said it has to do with Fritz not communicating that well with the Netgear router or its my ISP that is giving us an hard time. 

• Administrators

Static route isn't what you want, you've also changed a lot of settings such as MTU which can hinder you if you haven't done it properly. What IP address did you put in the DMZ on your fritzbox? If this changed then that's what needs to be fixed first otherwise your port forwarding won't work. 

What do you mean? That always worked for me.. I leased the static route so the PC always get static IP no matter what. I even set static IP in Windows and it always worked for me. 

In DMZ i put the PC IP but it still doesn't work.. I even tried with the ISP modem/router and it also doesn't work and the ports 4950 - 4955 remain closed for some reason.. 

For DMZ you need to put the WAN IP adress of your XR500 in your Fritzbox. Or preferrably the MAC adress so it's always routed right. I looked up a manual for Fritzbox 7590 though and I'm not sure this router provides this option.

Then the other way is to forward TCP / UDP 1-65535 to your XR500.

On XR500, you don't need a static route for a static IP on your PC, you can make a IP reservation under XR500 LAN settings. But really you don't need this either since uPNP is supposed to take care of this, doesn't matter what IP your PC has.

You're using uPNP and port forwarding at the same time, best is to let uPNP do it's job, or if you want the manual rules turn off uPNP.

The issues with PPPoE / VLAN only affect your upload QoS by the way. If you have enough bandwidth I doubt it makes a difference.

DNS servers don't make a difference for your in game connection quality, usually I just set them to ISP native DNS servers.