Traffic Prioritization questions

Hey guys, just setup my new XR700, have been enjoying it thus far

Just curious about a few things..

1) Is there a list somewhere that tells you which games are under the "DumaOS Classified Games", does it mirror the list under "Basic" when you click "add device"? Does the list get updated by NetDuma team in a cloud or only from firmware updates?

2) when setting up a game under the "Advanced" section, do I need to enter both the "Source" and "Destination" ports, or only the "Destination"? If the latter, do I leave the Source ports at 1-65535?

3) I read somewhere that not all ports need to be prioritized for a game as it's not the same as port forwarding, example is UDP ports are typically gameplay packets while TCP are other things, Is there a way to find out exactly which ports need to be prioritized for each game? does it matter too much if I just find out which ports are typically used for port forwarding and just add them?

4) If 2 PCs are playing the same game on the same router, do I just add both PCs to "add device" and use the same ports for both? Is that possible?

5) I am currently playing Apex Legends on PC and have googled which ports are used for forwarding, but for prioritization I have only added the UDP ports and the TCP ports that have a matching UDP port number (see screenshot below) Is this a correct setup? It does appear to be working correctly, "High Priority Traffic Detection" light only comes on while playing

HGEV2MI.png

Thanks for help in advance, this seems to be the only area of the router that isnt very straight-forward (not the routers fault) and lends itself to being difficult to set-up for future games

1 hour ago, Klesk Reaver said:

Hey guys, just setup my new XR700, have been enjoying it thus far

Just curious about a few things..

1) Is there a list somewhere that tells you which games are under the "DumaOS Classified Games", does it mirror the list under "Basic" when you click "add device"? Does the list get updated by NetDuma team in a cloud or only from firmware updates?

2) when setting up a game under the "Advanced" section, do I need to enter both the "Source" and "Destination" ports, or only the "Destination"? If the latter, do I leave the Source ports at 1-65535?

3) I read somewhere that not all ports need to be prioritized for a game as it's not the same as port forwarding, example is UDP ports are typically gameplay packets while TCP are other things, Is there a way to find out exactly which ports need to be prioritized for each game? does it matter too much if I just find out which ports are typically used for port forwarding and just add them?

4) If 2 PCs are playing the same game on the same router, do I just add both PCs to "add device" and use the same ports for both? Is that possible?

5) I am currently playing Apex Legends on PC and have googled which ports are used for forwarding, but for prioritization I have only added the UDP ports and the TCP ports that have a matching UDP port number (see screenshot below) Is this a correct setup? It does appear to be working correctly, "High Priority Traffic Detection" light only comes on while playing

HGEV2MI.png

Thanks for help in advance, this seems to be the only area of the router that isnt very straight-forward (not the routers fault) and lends itself to being difficult to set-up for future games

There haven't been any list or FAQs given the list of ports used for the dumaos classified games. But yes, I would assume it's update by Netduma.

It's up to you, as many of the games varies on the source and destination ports used but if want to use a range, 1024-65545 is not a bad start. For example, you can see the list of ports I presented that is used in Call of Duty:MW Warzone here.

Yes, games such as First Person Shooters, utilizes UDP packets due to faster transmission and other technical reasons. But there are shooters like The Division that uses TCP and NBA 2k that does the same in usage heavily on TCP. 

Yes, but make sure you utilize UPNP.

5) I am currently playing Apex Legends on PC and have googled which ports are used for forwarding, but for prioritization I have only added the UDP ports and the TCP ports that have a matching UDP port number (see screenshot below) Is this a correct setup? It does appear to be working correctly, "High Priority Traffic Detection" light only comes on while playing.

I play mainly on the PS4 the source ports is 50000:60000 to destination 37000:42000. As I also have captured the packets and have the saved data. PC is not too far off, as someone on the EA forums have found the information to coincide with my own findings in this thread here. Just to give you and idea of what I'm talking about, here a screenshot of that data.

APEXPS4.thumb.png.328dfd043c6707883b393a4c203fbed9.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

As you've already received some answers I'll just chime in with a few:

1. In theory yes I think we can add more services via the cloud, in practice though we generally wait for a firmware update to do this.
2. I would recommend you just change the destination and leave the source ports as they are.
3. If someone is entering ports manually I generally suggest using the ports that the game says the use on their support site etc for port forwarding purposes.
5. You can use a range for the destination as well, if they're mentioned then I'd suggest adding them.

Awesome, thanks for your replies guys,

So the list of known games is not available to be seen anywhere? all good if not, ill just try them and add them manually if need be, Although it would be nice to know the games so that I can remove my manually added ports later if you add a game that is currently not on the list

also I noticed there is an option to enable Telnet, is it possible that I could add ports to the priority list using a batch method later on if I reset router to factory settings?

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Klesk Reaver said:

Awesome, thanks for your replies guys,

So the list of known games is not available to be seen anywhere? all good if not, ill just try them and add them manually if need be, Although it would be nice to know the games so that I can remove my manually added ports later if you add a game that is currently not on the list

also I noticed there is an option to enable Telnet, is it possible that I could add ports to the priority list using a batch method later on if I reset router to factory settings?

There isn't a list no, basically all console games will be prioritized automatically. There are a few games on PC that it should prioritize, just from the top of my head they are League of Legends, Apex Legend, Monster Hunter, Rainbow Six Siege & Fortnite, CS:GO I'm pretty sure there are more though! If you find that manually adding ports isn't working then adding your PC with the console service will work - if you have any services that use ports in the 1024-65535 range then they may get prioritized also so it's more of a temporary workaround.

I wouldn't recommend playing around with it as if you don't know what you're doing then you can cause major issues using that functionality.

On 3/26/2020 at 5:39 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

There isn't a list no, basically all console games will be prioritized automatically. There are a few games on PC that it should prioritize, just from the top of my head they are League of Legends, Apex Legend, Monster Hunter, Rainbow Six Siege & Fortnite, CS:GO I'm pretty sure there are more though! If you find that manually adding ports isn't working then adding your PC with the console service will work - if you have any services that use ports in the 1024-65535 range then they may get prioritized also so it's more of a temporary workaround.

I wouldn't recommend playing around with it as if you don't know what you're doing then you can cause major issues using that functionality.

Apex Legends doesn't seem to be on the list but I have added it manually :)

thanks for the tip about setting a PC into Console mode, I will keep that in mind :)

• Administrators
On 3/27/2020 at 6:08 AM, Klesk Reaver said:

Apex Legends doesn't seem to be on the list but I have added it manually :)

thanks for the tip about setting a PC into Console mode, I will keep that in mind :)

Apex will be in the next release (v3.0), but for now that workaround will work!