XR500 - Automated Scheduled Reboot Feature

On 1/10/2020 at 4:41 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Does the connection ever re-establish itself when it goes down? How long have you left it before rebooting? If you give a static/reserved IP to a device does that device continue to have internet?

sorry for the late reply but life happens 🙂

1. for your request it will show up as "connected" but every device will tell you that it has no internet connection.

2. 5 minutes the longest as i have family member who will complain if theres no internet!

3. i have mixed network with DHCP/reserved IPs and *drumroll* every device will report no internet...

that means Desktops and gaming consoles connected via ethernet partly dhcp and partly reserved ips

mobile phones via wireless also partly dhcp and partly reserved ips

i would really appreciate a small hotfix firmware to add this feature while you work on the netduma 3.0 version

you know incremental versioning is there for a reason 1.1.0 1.2.0 1.2.4 ....

or microsoft on windows with their kb712647861247  hotfixes....

going from all the posts so far people are willing to wait on this but HOW LONG do you want to keep us waiting on fixes? if you keep this up customers who from nature are very fickle and flock to the next best thing that works will leave you. the long wait will only give us bad experience with your software and will in the end turn customers off from your software.

Guest Killhippie
18 minutes ago, MadCheese1337 said:

1. for your request it will show up as "connected" but every device will tell you that it has no internet connection.

2. 5 minutes the longest as i have family member who will complain if theres no internet!

3. i have mixed network with DHCP/reserved IPs and *drumroll* every device will report no internet...

that means Desktops and gaming consoles connected via ethernet partly dhcp and partly reserved ips

i would really appreciate a small hotfix firmware to add this feature while you work on the netduma 3.0 version

going from all the posts so far people are willing to wait on this but HOW LONG do you want to keep us waiting on fixes? if you keep this up customers who from nature are very fickle and flock to the next best thing that works will leave you. the long wait will only give us bad experience with your software and will in the end turn customers off from your software.

Maybe ask Netgear as its their router and they provide the firmware and patches. DumaOS is on top of the Netgear firmware, so they would be the ones to deal with this rather than Netduma :)

• Administrators
6 hours ago, MadCheese1337 said:

When this happens I assume you are still able to access the interface? If so go to System Information, does it show in Internet Status that it is connected? What does the internet LED on the router look like when the issue occurs? If you go to Settings > Monitoring > Connection Status, what does it say for lease obtained/expired?

Hotfixes are reserved for big issues that are affecting a lot of people not for introducing new features. Pivoting to do things like this can cause the normal firmware updates to get slowed down as it needs to be developed, then tested by both us and NG before release.

I absolutely agree that this would be a useful feature.

About once a week/fortnight the router tends to end up needing to be rebooted because it stops providing an internet connection to all devices. It has become more frequent this week since working from home (twice in 4 days so far).

Would a regular scheduled reboot help avoid the frequency of such an issue?

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Berezau said:

I absolutely agree that this would be a useful feature.

About once a week/fortnight the router tends to end up needing to be rebooted because it stops providing an internet connection to all devices. It has become more frequent this week since working from home (twice in 4 days so far).

Would a regular scheduled reboot help avoid the frequency of such an issue?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Take a look in Settings > Monitoring > Connection status, does your lease obtained/renewed indicate the lease is about 4 days or less? If it does then auto reboot wouldn't resolve the issue. Instead in Internet Setup switch it to Static and that should resolve the issue.

On 3/25/2020 at 11:00 PM, Killhippie said:

Maybe ask Netgear as its their router and they provide the firmware and patches. DumaOS is on top of the Netgear firmware, so they would be the ones to deal with this rather than Netduma

that had already been requested a lot for the netduma os routers.

that feature can be found on the normal netgear routers with their own interface since all the way back to the 54g routers and even the linksys wrt54 cause thats why i have been missing this feature in the newer XR500
since its not available in your software it stands to reason that because of this its not available for "netgear" as well.

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, MadCheese1337 said:

thats the kicker... it states connected 😕

It would be connected unless you were doing it when it wasn't, I want to see what information is shown for lease obtained/when it expires e.g.

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 23.59.49.png

Guest Killhippie
15 hours ago, MadCheese1337 said:

that had already been requested a lot for the netduma os routers.

that feature can be found on the normal netgear routers with their own interface since all the way back to the 54g routers and even the linksys wrt54 cause thats why i have been missing this feature in the newer XR500
since its not available in your software it stands to reason that because of this its not available for "netgear" as well.

There isn't a scheduled reboot feature in modern Netgear routers as far as I know, although I could be wrong, my R7800 and RAX120 dont have that feature in the settings at all. The old prossafe/prosecure models don't even have that from what I can find online either.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Setting a static IP with the values that the XR500 was automatically assigned by my ISP results in a loss of connection.

I have included a snapshot of my automatic values. Is there a reason why setting these as static values shouldn’t work?

Thanks.

4899EB7C-E3AA-42A8-B2BE-AFFB353F0E46.jpeg

4 hours ago, piwikiwi said:

Setting a static IP with the values that the XR500 was automatically assigned by my ISP results in a loss of connection.

I have included a snapshot of my automatic values. Is there a reason why setting these as static values shouldn’t work?

Thanks.

You may be setting a static IP that is included within a range of addresses that are reserved for Dynamic assignment.

Try looking in your ISP router's settings to see if there is a range for this. I'd suggest trying to assign an address that's at the top of the subnets available range perhaps? For example x.x.x.255

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Troots said:

I have the exact same problem and it gets on my nerves that I MUST restart manually the XR500 every 2nd week... 

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear this, have you followed the troubleshooting steps we took in this thread?

• 9 months later...

Hi,

Apparently having the same issue on my XR500, although on my side i have to restart i every SINGLE day … 

Duma OS shows connected , bu there is no internet on my connected devices. So far I haven’t been able to check on my ethernet connected devices, just wi fi ( mobile, laptop) …it happened today during a meeting and I was so upset about it. 

i have seen people reported here, bu I haven’t seen any updates on how to solve it… it was reported in 2020… we are soon in 2022 … c’mon guys. 

anyone with a bit of time, can share if there is a way to make this work , or should I restart it daily? 

thanks in advance!

8 minutes ago, Xdrqgol said:

Hi,

Apparently having the same issue on my XR500, although on my side i have to restart i every SINGLE day … 

Duma OS shows connected , bu there is no internet on my connected devices. So far I haven’t been able to check on my ethernet connected devices, just wi fi ( mobile, laptop) …it happened today during a meeting and I was so upset about it. 

i have seen people reported here, bu I haven’t seen any updates on how to solve it… it was reported in 2020… we are soon in 2022 … c’mon guys. 

anyone with a bit of time, can share if there is a way to make this work , or should I restart it daily? 

thanks in advance!

Had the exact same issue with my XR300. I ended up decommissioning it. Huge mistake getting a DumaOS router after all, not gonna be making the same mistake again for sure... 

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Xdrqgol said:

Hi,

thanks in advance!

We're pushing Netgear on this as they'll need to fix this and it didn't seem to be a part of the recent firmware. What version are you on at the moment? What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to? Can you still access the interface when it happens?

25 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We're pushing Netgear on this as they'll need to fix this and it didn't seem to be a part of the recent firmware. What version are you on at the moment? What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to? Can you still access the interface when it happens?

• Version XR500 V2.3.2.130 - latest available
  • Model of the router: SAGEMCOM
  • The interface is available
  • Internet connection states : Connected

*I have changed the Internet Setup to Static IP and will check by tomorrow how it behaves . As well if the ethernet connected devices still work during this issue. Will report back, but as other people mentioned we really need this fix ... it really affects the user experience greatly.I am not giving up on the product yet, but if this doesn't get fixed, I will return it and get a refund.

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, Xdrqgol said:
  • Version XR500 V2.3.2.130 - latest available
  • Model of the router: SAGEMCOM
  • The interface is available
  • Internet connection states : Connected

*I have changed the Internet Setup to Static IP and will check by tomorrow how it behaves . As well if the ethernet connected devices still work during this issue. Will report back, but as other people mentioned we really need this fix ... it really affects the user experience greatly.I am not giving up on the product yet, but if this doesn't get fixed, I will return it and get a refund.

Okay great that's a good step to take, would also suggest setting the DHCP range to start at .50 instead of .2 then allocating IPs to devices between .2 - .49 and let us know how you get on. We are talking to NG so hopefully we can get that resolved asap.

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay great that's a good step to take, would also suggest setting the DHCP range to start at .50 instead of .2 then allocating IPs to devices between .2 - .49 and let us know how you get on. We are talking to NG so hopefully we can get that resolved asap.

I just experienced another drop , all devices ( ethernet/ wi fi ) are affected by this.

Will try your suggestion but I know you know better that we cannot fix this ….

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Xdrqgol said:

I just experienced another drop , all devices ( ethernet/ wi fi ) are affected by this.

Will try your suggestion but I know you know better that we cannot fix this ….

They are steps to hopefully prolong the issue, it definitely needs a firmware fix

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Following these steps, i haven’t  had so far any interruptions. Please do highlight this solution for any new comer that arrives here so that they can pick it up easily.

hopefully you will push for a fix, otherwise consumers that do not search for a solution, will refund your product and/or leave a negative comment.

thanks again!