In game External IP Address

GHOST-1-EC

@Netduma Admin can i use the IP reservation option on the XR500 to reserve my 'in game external ip' - by this i mean - would me reserving the external ip sort of create a static external ip which does not alternate (change everytime either the router goes off or automatically everytime i put the console on and off) and thereby locking in my in game geographical location? 

Taking into account that the external ip is what dictates yr in game geo location - which i turns has an effect on your online gameplay. 

TIA

Well you could set your IP as static in Internet Setup.

I'd start by taking your WAN IP from System Information, then putting that in as Static in Internet Setup.

Although your external IP should be pretty consistent anyway unless your ISP changes it all the time.

2 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Well you could set your IP as static in Internet Setup.

I'd start by taking your WAN IP from System Information, then putting that in as Static in Internet Setup.

Although your external IP should be pretty consistent anyway unless your ISP changes it all the time.

I dont think you understand what i am referring to - i already have a static 'local' ip address set up on the ps4 which is reserved on the XR500.

I am referring to the external ip address that is found in the games network data under the geographical location - all COD games have it.

The External IP is linked to your in game Geographical location.

13 minutes ago, progprogprog said:

Hi ghost

The external ip in game is the ip address assigned to you from your isp

Go to google and type

what's my ip

Does it match with in game?

Yeah bud i know that (i have the apps on my phone) , my train of thought was, since the normal private (dhcp-dynamic) ip is also issued by your isp and the counter to that being a static private ip created by yourself within the routers specified ip range fixes your ip address, i was wondering if this feature could be a possibility with the XR500 / DumaOS as the public ip is directly linked to your in game geo location. 

Almost everyone will mention that their in game Geo location is not where they are actually located. 

I've been able to get mine to be exactly where i live but it requires a constant reboot of the isp router/modem till i get the correct location, but it would change again after a day or two. 

By fixing / creating a static External Ip with the IP linked to where your exact in-game location is, it should never change again until you change the External IP. 

1 hour ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

Almost everyone will mention that their in game Geo location is not where they are actually located

I see

One thing I did do was to do a trace route to my isp ip address then placed geo home to where it shows on the map(net analyzer)

Had 3 good games in a row

Maybe try that?

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

Having an in-game location that's the same as your real world location isn't something that will affect gameplay, as far as I know.

Lol

It defnitely does.....thats why i am wanting to get its fixed on my exact location. 

Its also not placebo cos i know thats the next thing thats going to be said. 

Alright, well I don't really understand.

I guess maybe having an IP closer to you means that there are fewer layers of NAT to go through or something, like it's breaking through carrier grade NAT or something, I dunno.

3 hours ago, progprogprog said:

I see

One thing I did do was to do a trace route to my isp ip address then placed geo home to where it shows on the map(net analyzer)

Had 3 good games in a row

Maybe try that?

Will definitely have a look at it, i have noticed at times on the Geofilter once the game says connecting to online servers, it will pick up the Dedi's in my radius or ping assist value and it will also show another player icon which is actually my External Ip location / in game geo location.

Never paid attention to it but will see what improvements it brings.

38 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Setting a Static Public/External IP is not something you can do at the router level, you will need to ask/purchase (depending on ISP) a static (instead of dynamic) IP from your ISP.

Thanx 

Will enquire with them what the process entails.