QOS issues (again)

ArcaPulse

It's me again 😞

125602267_xr500ping(2).thumb.png.779e313251869ed50ff0c102a55ebcf9.png

Ping with only my PC (doing the ping plotter test) and my iphone watching a youtube video on the XR500 network. Everything else is disconnected and theres nothing upstream of it. Anti bufferbloat is set to always and 40% for upload and download. This was the best result i've got so far, all higher percentages produced worse results. Any ideas now it's on the XR500? Ping with nothing going on is consistent a 9ms

Hmm there are a surprising amount of ping spikes there for such little activity on the network. I think the XR500 will perform better in this regard because it has more processing power. I imagine the issues you're having with your R1 are related to aging hardware.

This is with the XR500 unfortunately. The R1 is boxed up ready for return. The XR500 just arrived today and this is the first set of tests I’ve done with it.

Fraser said to continue on this thread if I had issues with the XR500 even though it’s in the R1 sub forum.

Well that's pretty good, but it does make sense that a YouTube video could cause a small ping spike on that connection, given that a 4K video would use about half of your bandwidth.

But if your anti-bufferbloat sliders were at 40%,  the quality of the YouTube video would be lessened, leaving lots of room for your pingplotter test, but it's still going up and down a lot...

On the other hand, there doesn't appear to be any packet loss, apart from a bit on the first couple of hops... I'll need to re-read this thread again to figure out if your network setup could have anything to do with it.

Just now, ArcaPulse said:

In speed tests I get the full speed expected

Reboot your XR500 and test to see if the congestion control is then working.

I too have this issue now and again, a reboot fixes it.

Only ran for a couple of minutes but thought there was no point continuing as the results were going to be the same. Still have spikes up to 85ms which is a slight improvement on before.

939670728_xr500ping(3).thumb.png.53e7174dfe1545444fec88bee3b4e4dc.png

Speed with QOS on and anti bufferbloat at 40% for up and down - ping 8ms Download 15.94mbps Upload 3.51 mbps

Speed with QOS disabled- ping 8ms Download 41.73mbps Upload 10.42mbps

I have 41down and 10up inputted into the anti-bufferbloat settings to account for any variation. Share excess is enabled and needs to be for my network as we have several devices that get used intermittently and I can't always be there to give them enough bandwidth if share excess is off.

That suggests that the QoS is doing something to mitigate the problem, but it's not entirely solving it. I don't think that QoS can be the cause of the problem here.

Do you still have your BT Hub? I was thinking that if you put the hub back, put the XR500 into the hub's DMZ, disable the hub's wifi and set the XR500's WAN settings to DHCP...

Basically it would be interesting to see if the problems went away or remained. If they went away, it would suggest something was dodgy with the XR500's PPPoE compatibility, or maybe just some incompatibility with your modem, unlikely as that seems.

Ok have tried now with a brand new BThub that has been in it's box for a few weeks (they sent it even though i said i wasn't going to use it). Speeds were slightly improved to 43mbps down and 11 up. Tried the same test with anti-bufferbloat on 70% for both as suggested in the optimal guide. This was the result for that.740049185_70(2).thumb.png.08a9022f0566159efb0bfafb6557af01.png

Then as 40% for both worked the best (but not well) for me in the past I tried that. Results here: 167749625_40(2).thumb.png.2a0d80e6e5665b4026bc1393529d1f0d.png

Setup BT Hub > XR500 (in DHCP mode)

On the BT hub the XR500 has a static IP and is in the DMZ, firewall is disabled, IPV6 is disabled on both also. Test was the same with youtube being watched on a single device, all other devices were forced disconnected. I also ran the set up wizard again for the XR500 and still no change (it did correctly recognise the DHCP connection though).

Just tried on Bt hub (I assume you wanted it to be with nothing else going on to see if a stable connection was being given to XR500). These are the results: 

2137903807_bthub(2).thumb.png.cc26fe071714f735694e064a27e23ac7.png

If you can't see clearly then the line is averagin about 8.5ms with that spike up to 9.5ms . Waaaaay less than the QOS spikes seen, however this is with nothing else going on on the network.

Right... Okay so it isn't QoS but is IS something on the XR500. This really narrows it down.

Your PC is connected via Ethernet correct? This seems like a wifi issue, but then again I don't think QoS would have any effect on a wifi issue, whereas the issue WAS improved by using QoS.

What really confuses me here is that both the R1 and the XR500 experienced these spikes. That would suggest to me that the problem was with the modem, but based on the last test, that isn't the case. What's the only other thing it could be? What about the cable between the modem and the XR500, have you tried switching that?

Unfortunately I have. For the R1 initially I had the cat 6 cable that was sent with the R1 being used from modem and cat5 cable from R1 to PC. But I purchased a whole new set of cat 6 cables which now go from modem (or bt hub) to the XR500 and to all connected Ethernet devices so it’s not the cable either unfortunately as the problems remained with both sets of cables.