Disable QoS also disables?

fakkel

Hi, I am using the NetdumaR1 with the newest NetdumaOS released last year. My question: if you disable QoS does that also mean that Bandwidth/specific bandwith allocation and Traffic Prioritization is disabled/not functioning? 

I want to throttle a specific device - upload only.

My problem with turning QoS on since the new NetdumaOS is that it throttles my maximum download speed with a lot. I go from 30+ Mbps to 18Mbps on all devices, disabeling QoS gives me back my full download speed straight away. 

What can/should I do, please help me.

Greets,

Fakkel

The flower graph is not active when you disable QoS entirely, so there is no bandwidth limits active and no traffic prioritization. I just ran a quick test because I'm curious about the result.

If you have a switch between your router and devices, you can often set bandwidth limits on that. 

But it's strange you're not getting full speed at all. Have you tried entering higher BW numbers and see what that does?

• Administrators

When QoS is disabled from Anti-Bufferbloat settings no features on the QoS page are active. When enabled are you sure your drop isn't due to Anti-Bufferbloat being set to Always and the sliders having been lowered?

If you want to throttle a device through upload only then QoS will need to be enabled, then disable Share Excess for just upload and then adjust as necessary. Keep in mind the other devices will be limited to the percentages given on upload.

• Administrators

If you want maximum download then you can either choose 'Never' for the 3 options and leave the percentage at whatever it is or if you have 'Always' or 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' then choose 100% for maximum download. Keep in mind that will effectively disable the part of QoS that can prevent lag when there is a lot of bandwidth usage.

We usually recommend, as a default, to have the sliders at 70%. This is based on a lot of testing on our end, most connections experience best results at 70%.

Make sure that your bandwidth is entered correctly in the anti-bufferbloat side menu. If you disable QoS from that menu and run a speed test when no other devices on your network are doing anything, you should get a good idea of what to put in these fields.

14 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

If you mean the Upload slider on the Anti-Bufferbloat menu, then no, you need to turn anti-bufferbloat on for that to take effect.

If you mean the upload throttle from bandwidth allocation, then yes that will work.

Just a quick refresh question while you’re on the topic.......

On the flower petal / bandwidth allocation, let’s say I have 3 devices......a WiFi router, a laptop and my console.......the distribution is 33% on each default. Since the WiFi router will use the most bandwidth due to streaming Netflix, etc, would I allocate more or less to the WiFi router? I thought it said somewhere to allocate MORE to greedy devices, which my allocation would look something like: WiFi Router - 60%, Laptop - 25% & Console- 15%.

Do I have this wrong? I’ve always gone the other way.....giving more bandwidth to my console but I feel I may be confused on how it all works. 

Thanks!

I never touch it since I have share excess on anyway. It should more or less regulate itself that way. Unless you have issues where one device is slurping up bandwidth right away. Most streaming devices operate in bursts. Like they will send you a huge chunk of data and then pause for a little, huge chunk of data again etc. If that interferes with the rest of your traffic its best to turn share excess off and simply tone down it's bandwidth.

15 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Just a quick refresh question while you’re on the topic.......

On the flower petal / bandwidth allocation, let’s say I have 3 devices......a WiFi router, a laptop and my console.......the distribution is 33% on each default. Since the WiFi router will use the most bandwidth due to streaming Netflix, etc, would I allocate more or less to the WiFi router? I thought it said somewhere to allocate MORE to greedy devices, which my allocation would look something like: WiFi Router - 60%, Laptop - 25% & Console- 15%.

Do I have this wrong? I’ve always gone the other way.....giving more bandwidth to my console but I feel I may be confused on how it all works. 

Thanks!

Obviously it depends on what you want for your network, but here's my advice:

There are bandwidth heavy applications like video, and there are applications which require fast responses like gaming. In order to make sure that your gaming applications always get an instant response, you should prioritize them, because a streaming application will adjust it's quality if it needs to in order to fit within its bandwidth limitations.

Basically, give priority to the consoles every time.

44 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Obviously it depends on what you want for your network, but here's my advice:

There are bandwidth heavy applications like video, and there are applications which require fast responses like gaming. In order to make sure that your gaming applications always get an instant response, you should prioritize them, because a streaming application will adjust it's quality if it needs to in order to fit within its bandwidth limitations.

Basically, give priority to the consoles every time.

Ok,  so does this mean to give my console the 60%, as in the example above? I’m looking for a good description on exactly how that concept works. I feel I can’t get good, informative answers on this & it can be quite confusing. I’ll totally take the blame for just not understanding but I could definitely use more info so I don’t feel like I’m playing a guessing game. 

Thank you sir,

Chris 

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Ok,  so does this mean to give my console the 60%, as in the example above? I’m looking for a good description on exactly how that concept works. I feel I can’t get good, informative answers on this & it can be quite confusing. I’ll totally take the blame for just not understanding but I could definitely use more info so I don’t feel like I’m playing a guessing game. 

Thank you sir,

Chris 

Bandwidth Allocation allows you to set limits on how much bandwidth you want devices to get. So if you had 99 download/upload, 3 devices, split evenly then each would get 33mbps. Now with share excess enabled devices can go over this limit if they need them, say you have a big download/upload it could take more bandwidth away from the other 2 devices IF they weren't using all their bandwidth allowance. This works very well and in most cases you don't really need to change anything because the feature will give out the right bandwidth. However, if you wanted this to be a hard limit, so that a device could not go over it's allocation no matter what, even if it needed it then untick share excess. This also works the other way as well, if a device was using 1% of its 33% allocation but one of the other devices needed 50% then because of the hard limit you have given it will be maxed out at 33%.

In my opinion in almost all cases I would leave this feature at default and only if you had specific needs would I suggest giving it a hard limit. Even with share excess enabled 60% to a console is excessive IF you're just playing games because it'll use less than 1mpbs.

Hope that clears it up a bit for you!