Help with Destiny 2 PvP settings

Hi all!

I've come to the point where I need to play a lot of PvP in D2. I'm pretty sure my setup for D2 is outdated and I need help to get it configured so it works correctly for me.  I know people have different setups and are located in all different areas so their experiences is completely different.  I live dead in the center of the US in Kansas so I have a little room to branch out using the geo-filter.  I have the XR500 and I know I'm not using all the features it comes with. I was reading that using the ping assist as a ping filter was 'very powerful'.   Would anyone recommend using this in Destiny 2 as the main filter or just continue to use the normal geo-filtering?     Also it's been about since early 2018 that I have messed with my Duma settings/D2 setting for geo filtering.     What are the optimal settings for my location?  I am on Xbox.

Thank you in advance!

Recently in Destiny 2, people have reported that the game will only search for a peer-to-peer match for about 30 seconds before it gives up and just routes you through the servers. Because of this, having a very low ping assist setting will most likely cause it to bypass P2P altogether. The best settings would probably involve setting a ping that you consider reasonable in ping assist, make sure that strict mode is off, and see how you go from there. Destiny can be tricky to filter because of their complicated server structure.

Well what's the average ping you get in a game in Destiny 2? What's the best ping you've ever had in Destiny 2?

If you put it in Spectating Mode and leave the Geo-Filter open (maybe on another screen) as you play,  with Auto-Ping Host turned on, you'll be able to see the kind of pings you're getting. This should give you an idea of what's reasonable to expect in your area.

The Geo-Filter would be able to filter out any games where the ping is unreasonably high for some reason.

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

Recently in Destiny 2, people have reported that the game will only search for a peer-to-peer match for about 30 seconds before it gives up and just routes you through the servers. Because of this, having a very low ping assist setting will most likely cause it to bypass P2P altogether. The best settings would probably involve setting a ping that you consider reasonable in ping assist, make sure that strict mode is off, and see how you go from there. Destiny can be tricky to filter because of their complicated server structure.

Hi, could you be more specific please ?

In the geofilter settings, you select the Destiny profile then set the ping assist very low and you will never use P2P anymore to locate a host ?

Thanks

Basically if Destiny 2 is unable to get you a P2P match within 30 seconds it seems to switch to matchmaking through dedicated servers. This means that after 30 seconds, all of your Geo-Filter rules are disregarded. We have no control over this.

Destiny is peer to peer and no dedicated servers. I believe that when Geo-filter is enabled it will not go outside of your search area like it would do if geo-filtering is off it will time out and give you a mongoose error.  I have been testing after the new firmware patch and switched to strict mode with ping assist.  I have been only testing as a solo player and so far after 3 days I have had no disconnects like I did during previous testing.

• Administrators

There are definitely dedicated servers, they use a hybrid system where servers are used when players cannot all connect to each other. They are also used to periodically check (stats, connection etc) when playing.

19 hours ago, Bmann said:

Destiny is peer to peer and no dedicated servers. I believe that when Geo-filter is enabled it will not go outside of your search area like it would do if geo-filtering is off it will time out and give you a mongoose error.  I have been testing after the new firmware patch and switched to strict mode with ping assist.  I have been only testing as a solo player and so far after 3 days I have had no disconnects like I did during previous testing.

How have been the connections you've experienced?  Is the bullet detection the same across your games?

Iron Banner is usually the worse for me for whatever reason.  I do find that ghost bullets to be bad probably half of the time in pvp and certain game modes like comp and IB tend to be worse.  We are at the misery of Destiny deciding who the host is and its not always in our favor. I hate the fact that I can drop 40 plus kills in one game and the next match I can barley kill anyone and I am doing everything I can.

that's disappointing and accurate to my experience last night.  I would say 3/10 PvP matches seems liked the Duma was doing what it's supposed to be doing.   @Netduma Admin @Netduma Fraser @Netduma Alex @Netduma Jack    Can I setup a session with someone and confirm I am using/doing is accurate so this product works for me?

thank you in advance, 

• Administrators

The auto ping won't be as useful for Destiny as most of the time it will be P2P so there won't always be one host per se so the Auto Ping will get confused. We're a small busy team so can't really provide 1 on 1 sessions unless there is a major issue and from your screenshots and descriptions there wouldn't be much we could do. Geo-Filter settings look fine but what settings are you using for QoS?

Ok, I guess that's fair enough.  So would it be accurate to say that Destiny 2 isn't exactly a game that is fully supported by DumaOS?  Definitely not trying to be difficult :) I'm just trying to understand why this product only works 30% of the time for Destiny 2.   I wish I was into COD or something because it seems like the game you guys use most to advertise the Duma.

My QoS is setup as recommended on this forum. I can't seem to find the thread I used but I think it's like the console gets 70% ?? when traffic gets saturated by something.   Is there a specific setting I need to be following for optimum QoS for D2 PvP?

• Administrators

It is supported but it can be tricky in that they've changed their matchmaking. It should still help you as the server is closest to you so then you should have an advantage. I'd suggest you follow this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-diagnose-modem-internet-service-provider-issues while saturating your connection e.g. downloading, streaming etc and trying different Anti-Bufferbloat percentages until you find what works best for you by keeping the ping low and stable. Depending on your internet usage use 'Always' if people stream etc a lot, it will help with buffering or use 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' if not much bandwidth is used. I usually leave Bandwidth Allocation alone with share excess enabled for download/upload. Keep Traffic Prioritization using DumaOS Classified Games. No specific QoS for D2 but this should get you optimal.

My DL speed is usually ~200+ down and 25 up so I use 'When High Priority Traffic Detected'.   I'll have to check the ping when I get home from work.    One question I do have is that some of their "dedicated" servers that do pop up from time to time, should I deny those and only Allow the ones closest to me?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

You're connected to the server in the middle of your radius and those players in your radius. It's also possible the ones outside your radius are connecting through the dedicated server to you but you have the advantage as the server is close to you.