Bt Smarthub 2 to DrayTek 130

ArcaPulse

18 hours ago, ArcaPulse said:

Having continued playing, I'm definately having problems again, the only solution is to not share excess bandwidth. Is there a way to set a devices bandwidth in stone (e.g give xbox 10% and not share but share the rest of the bandwidth around that's not allocated to the xbox?) 

There's currently no way to do that but I think that's something we should definitely add. I'll forward it to the devs.

18 hours ago, ArcaPulse said:

Another thing i've noticed is that the CPU usage on the duma seems to be pegged at or near 100% most of the time, could that be causing issues?

That's not meant to be the case but on aging hardware, DumaOS can struggle. It could be causing issues.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:27 AM, ArcaPulse said:

Both upload and download have gone up 75-90 packets in a 20 minute game.

Online gaming doesn't use all that much bandwidth... That said, 90 packets seems very small for a 20 minute game. I assume it's not picking all of the gaming traffic up, which is annoying considering all of that Traffic Prioritizing you did.

Yeah comparing it to when my brother is playing overwatch, it’s night and day the amount of high priority packets detected. I’m going to try deleting all the Xbox rules and just try using the default games console profile and see if that makes a difference.

I think having set bandwidth for a certain device while sharing the rest would be a game changing feature and I think would help a lot of people with medium bandwidth but lots of devices who are currently having trouble.

thanks for all the help, i had a play with the anti bufferbloat settings while having share excess on and have found a good middle ground where there’s the very rare lag spike but no packet loss. If you have any other suggestions I’m all ears!

thanks again for the help the last week!!

1 hour ago, ArcaPulse said:

Yeah comparing it to when my brother is playing overwatch, it’s night and day the amount of high priority packets detected. I’m going to try deleting all the Xbox rules and just try using the default games console profile and see if that makes a difference.

The default games console profile just prioritizes all UDP traffic. Since online games almost always use UDP traffic, it should work well. Patch downloads and such won't be prioritized as they most likely use TCP.

This is what the cpu graph looks like, this is without me actually changing any settings, doing that always causes lag spike, as does loading Duma OS.

Is there anyway you guys can help me with this?

I it think it’s likely to be the cause of the priotisation issues. I’ve only had the duma less than a year now, and while I love the OS, I’m wondering if the R1 hardware is causing problems, was before you guys partnered with NetGear which is annoying).

1A37C63E-39D7-42CD-AE14-8E4700A38FF6.jpeg

I get lag spike whenever I change anything in Duma OS, or when I load Duma OS. On that note, recently the OS has been very glitchy when loading, crashing quite often, needing to reset the Duma maybe twice a day. I’m also wondering with the random lag spike I get in prioritised games is because the cpu can’t handle the amount of prioritisation that the OS wants it to do. Here’s the full picture. Both of the sunflower and the rules.

Ive only got TCP rules on for the Xbox to see if that helps capture the unprioritised packets, however it made no difference.

The lag tonight was on 2 PCs, one playing overwatch and the other PubG.

57A83A96-CFE9-49ED-AA25-4E2FB7FA9374.jpeg

7EF68695-DAE4-4F5B-B900-049BA1C3F972.jpeg

CDD7A384-DE15-46E1-A94B-E6B530919E0D.jpeg

666DF4ED-FFD9-4E3A-984C-2BF59B51EEA3.jpeg

16FDB2AD-19B5-47DE-983A-A50F90AFBA10.jpeg

• Administrators

Okay well that might be why, you're prioritising port 80 which is the standard internet port and so you could be prioritizing downloads which could have an adverse affect. Remove all those rules and use DumaOS Classified Games instead please.

The rule 80 was only added tonight as part of a test. It was not present the other day when Alex replied regarding the 80-90 packets over a 20 minute game. If I’m honest the new rule made the connection no better or worse. Using Duma Classified the other day caused serious problems. I’m happy to try it again if you still think it may provide a fix? And what about deleting all the Xbox rules and having it as a games console, while preserving the other rules?

Both mine and my brothers connection was much more unstable. It was either like something was being prioritised wrongly, or our game traffic wasn’t being prioritised fully. I will try for the Xbox to set it as a games console with no rules and see the result. 

The super odd thing about this though is whenever I am monitoring the network, the usage never peaks above 10mbps, expect for downloads but they are only done overnight. We have 45 down and 10 up, so I can’t understand why someone watching 1 YouTube video would cause huge spikes in ping for both our games. We’ve even tried it ourselves on our phones, with both of us playing, then one of us will load a YouTube video and we’ll be lagging, even though the network usage is below a quarter of the speed we get.

Maybe YT is actually using a lot more bandwidth then you think. 

What I see from watching YT on my own systems is that it sends it data in bursts. It's not a continuous stream but everytime it fills the buffer you get a data burst so to say. The Network monitor might actually show you average? There may be some graph smoothing going on?

Ok, I’ll reset the sunflower and see how that goes. Do you want me to leave the gaming devices at the default amount, or increase them at all? I am using share excess. 

I do think youtube uses a decent amount of bandwidth, but 1 video shouldn’t use up more than 10mbps on its own maximum.

All devices are connected to the duma either directly or through power line adapters that come from the Duma.

Done some testing (was going to test bf5 as well but there's a 20gb update). The reason I may have been having issues with DumaOS classified is it doesn't pick up all games. I'm wondering if it struggles with console, I ran out of time to test consoles but I will post that in a couple of hours. This is fortnite and PubG.

I reset distribution of sunflower, got rid of all unused devices, every devicve had 4 points for upload and download. Share excess was on. The only other network traffic except for the game was my brother on youtube. I reset the Netduma before doing the tests, and let the high priority indicator turn off before moving onto the next game.fortnite_x_duma_classified_2.thumb.png.fc5d8d14c7ebc093527e4fb169a078ae.png

You may be able to see, Fortnite the ping is in 70s and not picked up as high priority by DumaOS classified. I reset my PC and Netduma and tried again with the same result.pubG_x_duma_classified.thumb.png.67cd101b7707b5bc0af13fe9271266a4.png

On Pub G the ping was between 15-25 and was picked up by the Duma OS as high priority. 

The increase in high priority packets was way more than was seen on fifa the other day on console. I will test in a few hours the consoles (both ps4 and xbox) on fifa 19 to see if it still has this issue with DumaOS classified, and if it's console specific.

How should I proceed from here to fix the individual games that aren't working?

Having tested the consoles on fifa, ping was excellent, it was detected correctly. As this is the game i will be playing the most I tried a few more tests. I unpaused the BFV update and continued playing, with anti bufferbloat on 40% download and 70% upload I couldn't tell the network was being stressed and ping was once again perfect. I just need to know what to do about the PC games (only know of fortnite for now) that aren't being picked up correctly?

• Administrators

Okay that's good to hear, glad it has improved. We'll need to update Fornite classification then. I'm pretty sure that's already been done though so should be in the next version. So leave all the settings as they are at the moment but then add a rule for your PC for Fortnite: TCP/UDP: 5222 - 5847

Ok that did detect with those ports. Something I’m going to monitor though is the slow uptick of high priority traffic after fortnite was closed, however that may just go after 5 minutes which I don’t mind.

when is this new update coming?

So you're aware, the problem with packets slowly ticking up was fixed when I removed the Fortnite seperate rule. Highlighting that this was the cause I retried it with just TCP and then just UDP. Having it as 5222 5847 UDP fixed the problem, it was the TCP packets causing problems (don't know if that's the right terminology) ,that were causing high priority to remain for extended periods when not playing the games.

I also found that the packet rate for this was slow and game ping was fluctuating. However I found a reddit thread about the ports, and having 9000-9100 UDP fixed it. it prioritised in game traffic, I also had 5222 UDP on and 5795-5847 UDP for the actually fortnite launcher. Now everything seems right with the packets increasing at the excpected rate.