Bt Smarthub 2 to DrayTek 130

ArcaPulse

So a couple of months ago I posted with connection issues, now having bought a chromecast for BT Sport on the TV so I could hardwire the TV to the Duma rather than the Bt router the connection has improved significantly. When i run ping plotter there is no drops or issues when there are few devices on the network. However sometimes even then there will be a massive spike in ping for half a second. I was wondering if its due to the smarthub 2 being used as a pass through to the duma and if that was causing interference? I have anti-bloatbuffer set to 70% at the moment. Anyhow, I'm about to order the DrayTek 130 to replace the smarthub as a modem so I was wondering if this should help?

• Administrators

I'm sure the passthrough is fine, it's unlikely to cause you issues. Modem/modem mode would be better but I don't think it'd provide you with a better experience that is worth buying a new one. 70% is a good starting point but I would suggest you follow this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-diagnose-modem-internet-service-provider-issues while saturating your network - doing big downloads etc - while trying different Anti-Bufferbloat percentages to find what keeps your ping the lowest and most stable.

The only thing is the Bt router doesn't support modem mode, I just have to turn off the wifi, it also has very limited options to enable and disable other features that would benefit the Duma. I'll give the DrayTek a go and if worst comes to worst I can always return it. I also couldn't get PPoe to work with it but this new modem will support it. 

Whenever the network is saturated there are massive problems even with anti-bufferbloat. Even when its only at 20% unsage of total bandwidth there are massive problems with stuttering in games etc, which is why I thought i'd try this to see if it's the line, duma or BT router.

I’ve tried so many different QOS settings, the only way to solve the problem is to have share excess off, or have the anti bufferbloat on around 30%. I’ve looked at the network monitor, the usage of the internet never peaks above 10-20 mbps at one time and we have 45 down (download seems to be the cause of the issue.) that’s what makes me thinks it’s a problem with the smart hub. All devices are connected to the netduma either directly or via power line adapters which are plugged into the  Netduma.

having share excess off isn’t really an option as we have so many devices that might get used throughout the day such as phones tablets pcs, that I’d have to change the qos settings every 20-30 minutes based on what devices people want to use. Having the Xbox on 100% and share excess still causes problems.

• Administrators

It should be eliminating that issue, do you use PPPoE/VLAN/IPv6 at all in the router settings? If you disable Traffic Prioritization does that help at all? It could be prioritizing something that it shouldn't and that could be having a knock on affect.

• Administrators

It would be in the WAN Settings but unlikely as you'd have to input manually. Have you tried disabling Traffic Prioritization? Also could you see if you have any of these kinds of issues when not using the Chromecast please? Also do you do any torrenting when this happens?

I never do any torrenting. We’ve only had the chromecast 2 days and the problems were there well before we got it. I thought having it would help as it could mean the TV box could go into the duma and we’d still get the paid for sports channels but via the chromecast which is on the duma WiFi.

i couldn’t find a VLan setting in the WAN section, I have it set to DHCP and haven’t imputed anything. I’m going to try now with no traffic prioritisation and I’ll post an update in about half and hour.

Then I can try without the chromecast if you want, however it’s almost never been used so far, maybe once for an hour yesterday.

I tried a few games with no prioritisation and there was no improvement, looking at the network snapshot it peaked at 2mbps download and less than 0.5mbps upload and the only other device except for my xbox using the internet was my brothers phone and he was browsing reddit.

I then tried with only duma OS classification enabled (before this test in normal use I had it disabled and each device programmed in), and no improvement either with the same low network usage. 

That's whats really stumping me is the low network usage, never anywhere close to fully saturating the network, and still having these frequent connection issues in games.

I get 45 down and between 10-11 up

• Administrators

Do you notice if its smooth that it's the same server? Even if it's in the same location it may not be the same server, check the ID. Have you tried forcing different servers to see if they play any better and it is just a bad server?

Well EA chose to give a range of servers (at non peak it will be amazon web services, at peak it will be their own). The amazon servers have always been far, far superior to the EA ones, I believe I was on the amazon server in that geo filter picture. It's always that location where I get the best gameplay. I also played in another game mode where it's peer to peer and that was just as bad.

I have tried in the past blocking the EA own servers, however when they switch at peak times I can't get on the game.

Today I have been on 2 different amazon servers, both were as bad as each other, which i assume means it must be my connection?

Right something really really weird is going on, was getting internet on all devices but was laggy on games. Now swapped the Ethernet into the smart hub and I’m getting no internet whatsoever, nothing on my PC nothing from the duma if I plug the Ethernet for that back in. I had this problem a couple of times this week and I have to factory reset the router. I’ll try that and do the ping test, but this just reinforces my thought process that it’s a bad hub.

• Administrators

Probably due to the passthrough settings you have used. Okay so you had a massive spike by the looks of it and then a smaller one and it was fair stable after that. How long did you run the test for and how big are those spikes on the graph, it's hard to see.

• Administrators

Okay so that's looking good, could you do another one of these during peak times and then do the same with the router, same settings, one during peak and one during non peak please. That will give us a good data set to go on. Could you also include an entire screenshot of the QoS page please with the settings usually used?

Theres the QOS settings i normally use as well as the NetDuma off peak ping plotter. When i get home from work tomorrow I will run both the peak tests. I'm assuming you want devices connected for that test?

The ping plotter if it's not clear is exactly the same as when run through the hub with it stable around 8ms and spiking to 15ms.

duma 1am.png

qos.png

• Administrators

Okay so that's looking good so far then. No devices connected if possible thank you, I want to see if a) Your ISP/line is having an issue & if not then b) Is the R1 causing an issue. Look forward to those peak results. 

What do you have Anti-Bufferbloat set to, Always or When High Priority Traffic Detected?