qos not working

• Administrators
2 hours ago, mercuryin said:

Hello,

I´m about to buy a netgear xr500 and I was wondering if this problem has been already resolved ? I want to check first if the QOS is working also with the upload channel. Thanks

Sorry to say that QoS not working due to PPPoE/VLAN or IPv6 hasn't been resolved yet. If you have another router you can put before the XR500 to handle these options then it would work absolutely fine.

Fraser, I don´t need to use VLAN or IPV6 but PPPoE. If I use PPPoE the QoS will not work with the upload channel ? Just think about this, if I´m going to pay almost 300 pounds for a router I want to use all the functionalities of that router I´m buying and not starting to use tricky solutions with a new router ?

• Administrators
On 11/18/2019 at 1:34 PM, mercuryin said:

Fraser, I don´t need to use VLAN or IPV6 but PPPoE. If I use PPPoE the QoS will not work with the upload channel ? Just think about this, if I´m going to pay almost 300 pounds for a router I want to use all the functionalities of that router I´m buying and not starting to use tricky solutions with a new router ?

That's correct, it would not work correctly. I totally understand that, I just wanted to give you the available options so you could make an informed decision.

@mercuryin I think Fraser has given you a very honest answer. While it may not be what you want to hear you have to commend him on his honesty! Im sure this will be corrected in the future. 

Zippy

On 11/16/2019 at 7:08 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to say that QoS not working due to PPPoE/VLAN or IPv6 hasn't been resolved yet. If you have another router you can put before the XR500 to handle these options then it would work absolutely fine.

Say Fraser, Can you clarify what parts of QoS doesn't work with IPv6? Things like BufferBloat, Traffic Prioritization, anything at all you can think of?  I really would love if you guys could get IPv6 supported using QoS..

Thanks!

Zippy.

Thanks for your 

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's correct, it would not work correctly. I totally understand that, I just wanted to give you the available options so you could make an informed decision.

Thanks for your answer Fraser. I have already buy one trusting in that your team will fix this problem soon.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Say Fraser, Can you clarify what parts of QoS doesn't work with IPv6? Things like BufferBloat, Traffic Prioritization, anything at all you can think of?  I really would love if you guys could get IPv6 supported using QoS..

Thanks!

Zippy.

As far as I am aware whether you're using IPv6, VLAN or PPPoE it is only the upload portion of Anti-Bufferbloat that is affected. Everything else should work fine. We definitely will be doing that but I couldn't give an estimate as to when that might be.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As far as I am aware whether you're using IPv6, VLAN or PPPoE it is only the upload portion of Anti-Bufferbloat that is affected. Everything else should work fine. We definitely will be doing that but I couldn't give an estimate as to when that might be.

Thank you Fraser! It just helps me understand. As you know I am a big supporter of IPv6. I would just love to see you guys get ahead of this because I feel it can become very viable feature..Specially as IPv6 is becoming more and more used. Thanks again!

Zippy.

Guest Killhippie
On 11/19/2019 at 8:58 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Reading this makes me believe that IPv6 will not be fully functional in the release of 3.0. I hope I'm wrong. Its the current internet protocol that supersedes IPv4 as there are no more blocks of IPv4 addresses (not enough to go around) and all the big and small ISP's are transferring to it the biggest in the UK are all using it pretty much now. Maybe have a chat with IDNet, they have been using it for over 5 years. You need to have PPPoE working, VLAN tagging working and IPv6 working, these are basic router functions that a £30 ISP router that's posted though your letterbox can do, yet it appears DumaOS cant handle these functions.

The Netgear R7800 could do IPv6 with filtering on ICMP for supposed security, yet its brother the XR500 cant handle QoS and IPv6 on the upstream, and its as your devs quoted "it's not a requested feature" Some features are not meant to be requested they should be part of the routers basic functionality, as simple as that. With all the new options and oddities like seeing your internet usage where I know most people have unlimited plans these days (I imagine there are a few that don't and that will be useful but it feels like maybe you could have skipped that one) you are  not making the routers foundations as a tool to handle the internet in 2019/2020 rock solid on the  basic features, well that how it looks.

Also you keep skipping conversations about patching, lots of new features no news on patching still. Why so secretive on some of the  basic things people need to know? Right now seeing new users asking the same questions over and over because they are hitting bugs introduced last December with Milestone 1.3 is truly painful, yet you guys have such great ideas and are truly thinking outside the box with new featues, so maybe get the basics done first?

• Administrators

I can't give an estimate for any future updates so that doesn't mean it wouldn't be included in 3.0. We know what the bugs are and the developers are aware so they will be working on it. There are only so many times we can say that we don't have any information that we can share, I realise it's frustrating, it's frustrating for us as well.

• 10 months later...
  • Administrators
6 hours ago, kava05 said:

Hi Fraser got me a dlink router so how do i connect xr500 or xr700 to my dlink router using dmz

Connect the DLINK to the ONT, enter the necessary details in order to get an internet connection in the DLINK, verify that all works. Then connect the XR500 to the DLINK. Get the WAN IP from the XR500 System Information page and copy it. Access the DLINK interface - you can do this while still connected to the XR500, find the DMZ option, usually in LAN or Security settings and input the IP and apply. Disable the DLINK WiFi and then connect all devices to the XR500 and you should be good to go!

8 hours ago, kava05 said:

do i have to disable (dhcp) on one of the router or no?

You don't need to disable DHCP on the D-Link or the XR500... However it would be a good idea to set a reserved/static IP for your XR500, otherwise it the IP address might change, and this will invalidate your DMZ settings.

Your two options are:

Reserved IP: on the D-Link, set the XR500's current IP as reserved so that it won't change

Static IP: On the XR500, under WAN settings, enter the current WAN IP as static (instead of auto-configure)

• Administrators
6 hours ago, kava05 said:

i think the geo filter or the QOS still not working properly

What makes you think it isn't working correctly? 2% of 675Mb is 13.5 so those devices are still able to use the internet without any trouble. Also as Share Excess will be enabled they'll be able to take unused bandwidth from the Desktop if they need it.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, kava05 said:

i get lag spikes in games when family watching movies and all or is it just the game??? see the screen shot at the top xbox is taking everything lol up and down 

There is hardly any bandwidth being used in that screenshot, only 0.1Mbps so it could still grab up to 13.4Mbps more if needed (if Desktop used its allocation). What ping do you get as shown by the Geo-Filter and do you see the spikes there? What are your Traffic Prioritization settings and what is your exact physical setup?

• Administrators

What ping do you get as shown by the Geo-Filter and do you see the spikes there?

What are your Traffic Prioritization settings?

Do you have devices that are connected to the Dlink? ALL devices should be connected to the XR so it can effectively control them.