Duma r1 vs xr500

• Administrators

That's really down to you, it depends what you want from a router. If you want a router that has higher specs that can handle your traffic and features of the router then yes. If you want intelligent AC WiFi then yes again. Only you can really decide whether the benefits are worth the extra cost.

• Administrators

Yes absolutely but it can't solve your inconsistencies with Virgin if you have them, no router can do that unfortunately but it can help you make the best of the connection you have. In that case then you would definitely benefit from the AC WiFi and extended range.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's really down to you, it depends what you want from a router. If you want a router that has higher specs that can handle your traffic and features of the router then yes. If you want intelligent AC WiFi then yes again. Only you can really decide whether the benefits are worth the extra cost.

You basically just said the XR500 outperforms the R1 in every aspect?! Lol 😂 

4 hours ago, liveandletdie34 said:

Je songe à passer du r1 au Xr500. Cela vaut-il le coût de la mise à niveau merci beaucoup

Niveau matériel ( le WiFi et il est capable de diffuser 1gb ) oui il y a une différence maintenant est ce que vous en avez vraiment besoin ? Niveaux logiciel aucune différence... 

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

You basically just said the XR500 outperforms the R1 in every aspect?! Lol 😂 

The software is the same but of course the hardware on the XR500 is better than the R1 hardware, that's not a secret!

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The software is the same but of course the hardware on the XR500 is better than the R1 hardware, that's not a secret!

So does this hardware enhance the gameplay in any way? So side by side comparison, if I hardwire both the R1 & XR500, will I notice a difference in gameplay? And if so, why? I was under the impression that gameplay yields the same result on both since they’re both running DumaOS? I’m aware the wireless is better on XR500 but I’m talking just straight hardwired gameplay here. 

I’m just trying to learn, not being argumentative.......we all like to know how our products benefit us & why. Especially if we put the time & money into it  

Thanks!

• Administrators

No I wouldn't say that, they should both run just as well in that scenario as running the same software as you said. The WiFi is of course one of the biggest reasons for upgrading. I'm not a developer so don't take my word for it but when the software gets crammed with features I imagine the XR500 would run better than the R1 due to better hardware, gameplay wise would be the same but the features would run better on the XR500 I would think.

Doesn't make a difference if you just use it as a gaming router.

There is only some situations where the XR500 has the upper hand:

1. When you need PPPoE / VLan tagging

2. When you have a lot of wifi devices and use QoS on them.

3. When you have a lot of bandwidth available over 400ish Mbps and you use it so heavily that you need to use QoS.

The wifi is much better on the XR500 but if budget is an issue, this is easily solved by simply buying a Wifi AP and using that with the R1. Before I had a XR500 I used the R1 and had one of my old ISP routers configured as AP and that worked just fine. Not supporting 5GHz wifi is one of the R1's biggest drawbacks IMHO.

On my XR500 in Asia I generally have my wifi turned off and only have a PC and PS4 connected wired and both the XR500 and R1 perform identical. The only thing is that I need a PPPoE setup and that's why my XR500 stays, otherwise I would have left the R1 in there and let my XR500 run my home wifi net. If I wanted to use the R1 there I could simply get a Edgerouter and run my R1 behind that though so loads of options.

Your games won't run better on a XR500 assuming you're wired but it simply does everything else better.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Doesn't make a difference if you just use it as a gaming router.

There is only some situations where the XR500 has the upper hand:

1. When you need PPPoE / VLan tagging

2. When you have a lot of wifi devices and use QoS on them.

3. When you have a lot of bandwidth available over 400ish Mbps and you use it so heavily that you need to use QoS.

The wifi is much better on the XR500 but if budget is an issue, this is easily solved by simply buying a Wifi AP and using that with the R1. Before I had a XR500 I used the R1 and had one of my old ISP routers configured as AP and that worked just fine. Not supporting 5GHz wifi is one of the R1's biggest drawbacks IMHO.

On my XR500 in Asia I generally have my wifi turned off and only have a PC and PS4 connected wired and both the XR500 and R1 perform identical. The only thing is that I need a PPPoE setup and that's why my XR500 stays, otherwise I would have left the R1 in there and let my XR500 run my home wifi net. If I wanted to use the R1 there I could simply get a Edgerouter and run my R1 behind that though so loads of options.

Your games won't run better on a XR500 assuming you're wired but it simply does everything else better.

I PM’d you. 

• 3 weeks later...