Destiny 2 private instance.

Monty

On 7/28/2019 at 2:13 PM, Monty said:

No, i was at work when it happened and he sent me a message, when i got home i installed the previous os.

Monty, what was the last firmware version that you managed to get a private instance?

It would appear it isn't possible to do this on dumaos. None of the firmware versions seemingly allow it. Always get matched with someone.

Is there a way to turn stop the servers being automatically whitelisted?

I believe that if you manually add a server to the ALLOW list and then ping that server from the list, you will then have access to the BLOCK button. Not 100% on this but I believe it worked before.

I think it's a bug so you didn't hear it from me.

In future it might be cool if we were to make the preset whitelist optional.

I actually stumbled across that last night. Even with them blocked it was still doing it. Would I need to wait a few minutes before manually blocking the servers worked? Or block them then hard reset Xbox?

So, if I understand it correctly, having strict mode off means that if it can't find a decent connection, then it overrides your search parameters and allows connections outside your radius and above your ping assist value.

My question, is how long does it wait? Does it wait for a set time, or a set number of connection attempts?

I only ask because this could go some way to understanding some of the destiny problems that are cropping up.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, HOLGATES HERE said:

So, if I understand it correctly, having strict mode off means that if it can't find a decent connection, then it overrides your search parameters and allows connections outside your radius and above your ping assist value.

My question, is how long does it wait? Does it wait for a set time, or a set number of connection attempts?

I only ask because this could go some way to understanding some of the destiny problems that are cropping up.

If you can't get a game within the radius, usually because Destinys hybrid system requires a server to be connected to then it will allow a connection outside your radius. Theres no set time/amount of attempts - if the game cannot get you a game within the radius then it will look outside the radius, this can happen very quickly which is why its recommended strict off.

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you can't get a game within the radius, usually because Destinys hybrid system requires a server to be connected to then it will allow a connection outside your radius. Theres no set time/amount of attempts - if the game cannot get you a game within the radius then it will look outside the radius, this can happen very quickly which is why its recommended strict off.

Thanks Fraser, I think this is why people are having issues with connecting to people outside their radius. Whatever is the factor that decides when to extend your radius must happen quickly in some cases. For example when matching strikes you see hundreds of disallowed connections. As far as your router can tell, this hasn't met the conditions of finding a game, so extends your range/ping assist.

Did the last version on the R1 before dumaos have strict mode as a thing? I only ask as I was talking to someone running that firmware who isn't having any of these problems.

• Administrators

The original firmware did have strict mode as well, the only reason we have that feature is for Destiny basically. With it on you can get good games but have a higher chance of being booted.

So this is what I get when I load in to strikes with strict mode enabled, I am loaded in with these two players.  I have been blocking each server when they appear and I haven't connected to one I've blocked.  But there are lots.  Each time I block a server, it seems to take longer.  The server only appears once I've matched in game.

image.thumb.png.ea9672d867a9ea2d757d046456f7a3f1.png

I have been talking to someone on discord who has the XR500.  He is able to load into games without any other player connected.  He doesn't use strict mode, just small radius and 0 ping assist.  Could this be a problem with the XR300?

Wow... This is really fascinating, although it does make me wonder how Geo-Filter could help with this...

I guess one functionality could be to block any and all peers so that dedicated servers are always used, if you wanted that.

Or perhaps it could try and force you and one of your friends into a cloud together?

As usual, Destiny is so unique in this regard that it'll probably need lots of tweaking.

1 minute ago, Netduma Alex said:

Wow... This is really fascinating, although it does make me wonder how Geo-Filter could help with this..

As usual, Destiny is so unique in this regard that it'll probably need lots of tweaking.

It certainly isn't straight forwards. I mean in normal terms I think it's actually a good design.

The problem is that somehow it's letting through those high distance, high ping players that should be blocked. The router is detecting them, but somehow they're piggy backing a server perhaps.

The other problem is I have a couple of other players that claim this isn't an issue on the xr500.

I've ordered an XR500 as a replacement through Amazon to test it. If that works, I'll send the xr300 back and will at least have identified that as the issue. If the XR500 doesn't work, I'll send that back and keep the cheaper one (who am I kidding, I'll keep the 500 🤣🤣).

I don't understand how such a high ping player could end up on a server you're connected to. Surely they should end up on a server near them? Unless they're downloading stuff in the background and their ping is just that high.

I mean if I was Bungie i'd set a minimum ping limit but I guess you need to welcome all to your HOUSE OF SLOWNESS

Lol, no idea, I wonder if it's blocking all of the peer to peer connections. So I'm actually ending up with worse connections through a server?

This is I think the same problem as Dmaune was originally having where he seemingly matched when he shouldn't have been able to.

11 hours ago, HOLGATES HERE said:

I have been talking to someone on discord who has the XR500.  He is able to load into games without any other player connected.  He doesn't use strict mode, just small radius and 0 ping assist.  Could this be a problem with the XR300?

I've done this on the R1 before. Had my geo location over Antartica, then ping assist on 0 and strict mode was off. It gave me instances for just me, so I could run Escalation Protocol solo to get the grenade and melee kills for each class triumph.

5 minutes ago, Azlios said:

I've done this on the R1 before. Had my geo location over Antartica, then ping assist on 0 and strict mode was off. It gave me instances for just me, so I could run Escalation Protocol solo to get the grenade and melee kills for each class triumph.

If you get chance, could you confirm if this still works on dumaos?

1 minute ago, HOLGATES HERE said:

If you get chance, could you confirm if this still works on dumaos?

I can try this weekend sometime, I don't have mine plugged in anymore due to wifi drops constantly. But I'll give it a go.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, HOLGATES HERE said:

I have been through an denied every server I've connected to.  I still connect to players outside of my geo range.

The servers that are showing up when this happens, do they have a white solid circle around them? If so they're whitelisted and will be the reason why that happens. Destiny uses a server/P2P hybrid system so players can connect to you through that server, theres not much you can do about that. As long as the server is close to you then you're still have the advantage.