Jump to content
Creakken

XR300 or R1? Only interested in the Duma OS software, not a new router.

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I am playing a lot on my PS4 and I recently heard about Duma OS and the Geo-filter. I already have an ASUS RT-AC88u so I don’t need a new router. But to be able to use the power of Duma OS I thought that Netduma R1 would be a good alternative. Now, reading the forum the XR300 is the new alternative instead of the R1 if I understand it correctly. I understand that the XR500 is a good router, but I only want access to the Duma OS and the Geo-filter. I am going to connect it as follows:

Ethernet > Asus Router > XR300

I have a 500/50 Mbit/s connection, so I don’t need to think about the Bandwidth Allocation. If it will become a problem I can connect the XR300 directly to the Ethernet and after that my Asus. But for now, I am only interested in connecting it directly to my PS4.

  • What is the best alternative for me? Should I buy XR300 or is Netduma R1 a better option?
  • Will the Geo-filter work better on the XR500 or will it be the same?
  • Is there any other alternative that I am not thinking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Creakken said:

Hi,

I am playing a lot on my PS4 and I recently heard about Duma OS and the Geo-filter. I already have an ASUS RT-AC88u so I don’t need a new router. But to be able to use the power of Duma OS I thought that Netduma R1 would be a good alternative. Now, reading the forum the XR300 is the new alternative instead of the R1 if I understand it correctly. I understand that the XR500 is a good router, but I only want access to the Duma OS and the Geo-filter. I am going to connect it as follows:

Ethernet > Asus Router > XR300

I have a 500/50 Mbit/s connection, so I don’t need to think about the Bandwidth Allocation. If it will become a problem I can connect the XR300 directly to the Ethernet and after that my Asus. But for now, I am only interested in connecting it directly to my PS4.

  • What is the best alternative for me? Should I buy XR300 or is Netduma R1 a better option?
  • Will the Geo-filter work better on the XR500 or will it be the same?
  • Is there any other alternative that I am not thinking about?

Hi. The XR300 works very well and if you are asking is there any comparison between the XR300 and R1 then there is none as they are not in the same league.  The dumaOS on the XR300 has been performing well and I have not experienced any issues (apart from an issue with bitdefender which is rectified) and is a good buy for your money.  The R1 is a cracking little router but the XR300 is a bit more powerful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

Hi. The XR300 works very well and if you are asking is there any comparison between the XR300 and R1 then there is none as they are not in the same league.  The dumaOS on the XR300 has been performing well and I have not experienced any issues (apart from an issue with bitdefender which is rectified) and is a good buy for your money.  The R1 is a cracking little router but the XR300 is a bit more powerful.

Why is not the XR300 and the R1 in the same league? Is the XR300 the "new" R1 and all focus will be based on the XR-series? I don't want to buy the R1 if the focus will be on the XR-series. I think the cost will be almost the same for me comparing the XR300 and the R1 so if XR300 is the future than I will buy that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Creakken said:

Why is not the XR300 and the R1 in the same league? Is the XR300 the "new" R1 and all focus will be based on the XR-series? I don't want to buy the R1 if the focus will be on the XR-series. I think the cost will be almost the same for me comparing the XR300 and the R1 so if XR300 is the future than I will buy that one.

The R1 is a great router, but the XR300 is slightly more powerful and has dual wifi bands where as the R1 is 2.4ghz only. Out of the 2 I would go for the newer 1. As for is it a replacement for the R1 the answer is no they are separate as R1 is Netdumas router and the XR series of routers are Netgears in partnership with Netduma. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

The R1 is a great router, but the XR300 is slightly more powerful and has dual wifi bands where as the R1 is 2.4ghz only. Out of the 2 I would go for the newer 1. As for is it a replacement for the R1 the answer is no they are separate as R1 is Netdumas router and the XR series of routers are Netgears in partnership with Netduma. 

Thanks BIG__DOG!

I will go and buy the XR300 because I can buy it at the store right now and I will also get it cheaper due to no shipping cost and taxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Creakken said:

Thanks BIG__DOG!

I will go and buy the XR300 because I can buy it at the store right now and I will also get it cheaper due to no shipping cost and taxes.

Glad to be of assistance and if you need any help just create a thread and we as a forum will be happy to help you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 4:50 AM, Creakken said:

Hi,

I am playing a lot on my PS4 and I recently heard about Duma OS and the Geo-filter. I already have an ASUS RT-AC88u so I don’t need a new router. But to be able to use the power of Duma OS I thought that Netduma R1 would be a good alternative. Now, reading the forum the XR300 is the new alternative instead of the R1 if I understand it correctly. I understand that the XR500 is a good router, but I only want access to the Duma OS and the Geo-filter. I am going to connect it as follows:

Ethernet > Asus Router > XR300

I have a 500/50 Mbit/s connection, so I don’t need to think about the Bandwidth Allocation. If it will become a problem I can connect the XR300 directly to the Ethernet and after that my Asus. But for now, I am only interested in connecting it directly to my PS4.

  • What is the best alternative for me? Should I buy XR300 or is Netduma R1 a better option?
  • Will the Geo-filter work better on the XR500 or will it be the same?
  • Is there any other alternative that I am not thinking about?

Dont even bother getting the R1. As big dog said for the price youre paying the two are not in the same league. One single core of the XR300 already beats the R1, but there are in fact two. having this processing power is ESSENTIAL for creating a smooth experience, as the faster a router can process a packet, the lower latency the router will have even under load (think about how this benefits bufferbloat). Which means all of your features are going to work MUCH better than they would on the R1. The R1 is okay if you have low speeds, thats really about it. The others just meet the needs of a faster connection and will certainly help you take advantage of that. There is a SIGNIFICANT power increase from the XR300 to the XR450 and up class though. With your speeds, you might as well go big, its almost certainly better to future proof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×