Best Method?

What’s the best method to change home location / force new servers? I changed home location, rebooted console, yet still got same server with same “5ms” ping......pretty weird considering I moved home location a few hundred miles away?

And “how” exactly does this work.....as far as my location being different? May be a weird question but I’m still physically in the same location (Texas), along with my internet service, so what effect does/should moving my location on the map actually have?

• Administrators

Move location, adjust radius to include that area and nothing else. Strict Mode on, Ping Assist 0. 

Most likely Ping Assist caught it.

The game will detect what games you can connect to and then make a judgement on which game to put you in. Changing your location essentially shows them you can't connect to servers apart from these that you're responding to.

My ping assist was off at the time. 

So as far as home location goes, since I’m still “physically” located in the same place (Texas), wouldn’t the ping show different (assuming higher) due to that physical distance between where I’m actually at, versus where I set my home location?  So, for example, I set my home location in Michigan, but since I’m physically in Texas, I’ll get a much higher ping because it’s locking me onto a Michigan server?

Make sense?

• Administrators

Could you provide a screenshot then please of getting it outside your radius.

Yes that's exactly right. It's like travelling, the further away the destination the longer it takes to get there.

These guys at the Netduma team don’t get it....geofiltering on DumaOS just does not work. I would bet you my whole bank account that if you went and used the R1 with it’s firmware doing exactly as you describe, you would get the expected results. For instance, if I placed myself over the UK and strict on and ping assist off or not, I’d be getting those lobbies eventually once the US servers have been denied by the filtering. On DumaOS you could literally have strict mode on over the server in your same town if there was one with same settings applied and get kicked to anywhere randomly. I use ping assist to 30 and strict on and I get dedicated servers on R1 firmware flawlessly. I could set myself in the ocean with strict off and 30ms assist on and STILL get that same damn server. Sorry but geo just doesn’t work on DumaOS and there’s nothing you can do about it besides revert back if you can and expect the team to find a way to resolve the issue. Idk if the issue was before or after ping assist got implemented, but there’s tons of people all over this forum having the same issue with the same firmware and most of them being original firmware adopters, so we know how to use it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Sorry CrossFit 

• Netduma Staff
4 hours ago, bbursley said:

These guys at the Netduma team don’t get it....geofiltering on DumaOS just does not work. I would bet you my whole bank account that if you went and used the R1 with it’s firmware doing exactly as you describe, you would get the expected results. For instance, if I placed myself over the UK and strict on and ping assist off or not, I’d be getting those lobbies eventually once the US servers have been denied by the filtering. On DumaOS you could literally have strict mode on over the server in your same town if there was one with same settings applied and get kicked to anywhere randomly. I use ping assist to 30 and strict on and I get dedicated servers on R1 firmware flawlessly. I could set myself in the ocean with strict off and 30ms assist on and STILL get that same damn server. Sorry but geo just doesn’t work on DumaOS and there’s nothing you can do about it besides revert back if you can and expect the team to find a way to resolve the issue. Idk if the issue was before or after ping assist got implemented, but there’s tons of people all over this forum having the same issue with the same firmware and most of them being original firmware adopters, so we know how to use it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Sorry CrossFit 

It seems strange that you're getting these types of problems. DumaOS on all platforms uses the exact same cloud database - we now have over a hundred thousand users across Netgear platforms, and they aren't reporting this.

Are you certain your test conditions are the same when you attempt to use the Geo-Filter on both versions?

7 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

It seems strange that you're getting these types of problems. DumaOS on all platforms uses the exact same cloud database - we now have over a hundred thousand users across Netgear platforms, and they aren't reporting this.

Are you certain your test conditions are the same when you attempt to use the Geo-Filter on both versions?

But im not the only one getting those kinds of problems, just look through the forums with the title "geo filter not working" or "only getting host players" its everywhere. It doesnt work and im really not the only one. This post is only another example of it. When you use the old geo from thr original firmware it does exactly what you advertise, but on DumaOS many people have had complaints....IDK how you consider that working. Maybe you guys are just in denial and wont accept that fact. plenty of proof in the headlines.....I dont get any of these issues on the old firmware. so I dont know what you all are playing at....just look at how many geofilter related issues are there, want me to find more?  I can certainly compile a bunch of screenshots.

image.thumb.png.dec870e9881ac0a0e8c4750447fd8ed8.png

oh look some more....

image.thumb.png.92720714be45e000614399d83f6c87ef.png

oh look at that....its a wonder what you can do just by typing some key words in...and I am willing to bet these are all DumaOS related too....What crossfit posted is a clear inconsistency, something that DOES NOT happen on the R1 firmware. When will you guys stop being in denial of the issue and just be like okay, clearly the evidence outweighs your claims. If this was an American company you would get shut down or sued for something like this....the better business bureau would be all over it. I mean hey, I still have the old firmware so its whatever for me, but its not for the many users locked on newer hardware that dont have a choice. Idk what to say more than that. the proof is there. 

image.png

6 hours ago, bbursley said:

But im not the only one getting those kinds of problems, just look through the forums with the title "geo filter not working" or "only getting host players" its everywhere. It doesnt work and im really not the only one. This post is only another example of it. When you use the old geo from thr original firmware it does exactly what you advertise, but on DumaOS many people have had complaints....IDK how you consider that working. Maybe you guys are just in denial and wont accept that fact. plenty of proof in the headlines.....I dont get any of these issues on the old firmware. so I dont know what you all are playing at....just look at how many geofilter related issues are there, want me to find more?  I can certainly compile a bunch of screenshots.

image.thumb.png.dec870e9881ac0a0e8c4750447fd8ed8.png

oh look some more....

image.thumb.png.92720714be45e000614399d83f6c87ef.png

oh look at that....its a wonder what you can do just by typing some key words in...and I am willing to bet these are all DumaOS related too....What crossfit posted is a clear inconsistency, something that DOES NOT happen on the R1 firmware. When will you guys stop being in denial of the issue and just be like okay, clearly the evidence outweighs your claims. If this was an American company you would get shut down or sued for something like this....the better business bureau would be all over it. I mean hey, I still have the old firmware so its whatever for me, but its not for the many users locked on newer hardware that dont have a choice. Idk what to say more than that. the proof is there. 

image.png

Hey Bursly. I've had some issues with the geo on OS with bo4. But i'm kind of leaning thats its more a bo4 issue than a duma issue. Idk I think that duma team really does want to make this router awesome so everyone can have a good time playing games. You have to remember these guys are gamers too. They use the same equipment we do. I haven;t switched back to the old firmware and tried with this game at all. Mainly cause I'm too lazy. But for bo3 this router worked great but then again we had the old firmware.

• Administrators

@bbursley Try what I suggested in the other topic and let us know, but to also get this moving forward if that fails I will personally test my own R1 (that I've had pre launch 2014 so it's an old boy!) on DumaOS at the weekend with Blackout/WiFi in my home setting, not in the lab. I've copied this to your other post as well.

48 minutes ago, purpleandgold33 said:

Hey Bursly. I've had some issues with the geo on OS with bo4. But i'm kind of leaning thats its more a bo4 issue than a duma issue. Idk I think that duma team really does want to make this router awesome so everyone can have a good time playing games. You have to remember these guys are gamers too. They use the same equipment we do. I haven;t switched back to the old firmware and tried with this game at all. Mainly cause I'm too lazy. But for bo3 this router worked great but then again we had the old firmware.

It’s not black ops 4. On the old firmware the R1 handles all games just the same assuming the information about the servers are there from the cloud (and they are). The old firmware works with black ops 4 just the way you could expect it to. I dont get all these weird servers you guys keep talking about, give it a go if you are in doubt of my allegations. I get all the servers I want in the areas I would assume they are. It just doesn’t translate as well with the new firmware. I get that they are gamers but their hands have become fuller now that they have encompassed more users from the netgear side as well. Sure, I get that they play games and want to enjoy it and make it great, who would want their firmware to be bad? That would be silly. But I think blaming a specific game seems like nonsense. That doesn’t mean that it can’t cause issues on a different firmware that handles things differently perhaps. But if that’s the case then this makes DumaOS a lot less seamless that it’s predecessor.

38 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

@bbursley Try what I suggested in the other topic and let us know, but to also get this moving forward if that fails I will personally test my own R1 (that I've had pre launch 2014 so it's an old boy!) on DumaOS at the weekend with Blackout/WiFi in my home setting, not in the lab. I've copied this to your other post as well.

Yeah, when I get home I’ll def give it a shot. I’ll factory reset everything back to as default as possible. But when you tested R1s that had DumaOS were they factory wiped without the original firmware or did they have the old firmware still installed and upgraded over? Perhaps there’s better methods of upgrading that can cause corruptions in files? I just wonder if you could clear a device to its base software and then upgrade if that would be better? Or did you use some sort of software to push the upgrade to the routers? I know it shouldn’t matter. I know you guys test these before releasing the firmware. I mean I hope that you’re right and it’s really that simple, I’m just not sure why others would be afflicted by similar issues if it wasn’t a specific firmware issue itself. I haven’t had as many WiFi drop outs either from what I can tell, sure I’ll have to change the channel once in a while but before it was almost a daily issue, I don’t think I really experience it as much or at all anymore. Maybe my device is just glitched... 😕. I just feel like I’ve tried everything for the most part and I can’t find any use for the new firmware anymore. I assume the devs have thoroughly gone over issues dealing with the WiFi or geo? Or at least the suspected issues.

• Administrators

They were tested as though we were the user, upgrading from the original firmware straight to DumaOS. We didn't flash DumaOS on a new router (without R1 original) at all. Everything was tested from original to DumaOS. Including testing done when you de/select the options for upgrade on the original R1. If you haven't changed those options before upgrading I'd suggest you try that, specifically deselecting preserve settings. I shouldn't think so, the Netgear beta devices tested were done the same way we tested ours and production units are flashed fresh with no differences between them. 

Oh that's good to hear about the wifi!

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

They were tested as though we were the user, upgrading from the original firmware straight to DumaOS. We didn't flash DumaOS on a new router (without R1 original) at all. Everything was tested from original to DumaOS. Including testing done when you de/select the options for upgrade on the original R1. If you haven't changed those options before upgrading I'd suggest you try that, specifically deselecting preserve settings. I shouldn't think so, the Netgear beta devices tested were done the same way we tested ours and production units are flashed fresh with no differences between them. 

well, for some reason its stillllll taking me ages to find lobbies on black ops 3, I applied the cloud update and its not doing anything...sigh...On R1 firmware I would of found a lobby instantly. and I found this "peer" thats not even a peer, which must mean that cloud is simply not updating properly as ive tried it multiple times and on the old firmare it would all be applied flawlessly. On the router it said that was a peer and it wasnt. Tried strict with 30ms on like I would normally do on R1 firmware and I cant even find lobbies at all. Yes I did delete the adblocker as to ensure that I wouldn't have issues. I sometimes notice throughput on the speedtests tends to suck from time to time. those are just two issues that had pushed me away from DumaOS. If its not buggy and im using similar settings as id use on the R1 firmware then idk what gives. Im definitely network savvy enough to know how to set up these things as they are far much easier than anything ive ever seen on the market.

image.png.2b87c3d690cf80c0987ddb97bfb0f09a.png

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I feel like its just not properly updating the cloud or something, because it shouldn't be that hard to find a game. I know theres players near me as I used the R1 firmware and found lobbies instantly upon going into matches (bo4 as well). 

• Administrators

It could be that or one that hasn't been included in the cloud yet, although you may be on to something, the cloud update could be failing. Are you heavily throttling when trying to flush it? Is the R1 in the DMZ of the upstream router or connected to a modem? Is there any way ports could be being blocked? 

Today it seemed to work fine as far as changing my home location. So if I have strict mode on, ping assist set to let’s say 30, am I only supposed to get servers within my radius, or will it go outside the radius (if it’s under 30ms) even with strict mode on?

And.....I’ve seen you all talking about AdBlocker & not plugging the router into extenders, but directly into the wall, etc. I just use a MACbook laptop to run the Duma & PingPlotter along with having everything (modem, router, Xbox etc.) plugged into a high end entertainment surge protector.......Long story short, if my line is stable during gameplay, which it’s pretty close to perfect, I’m assuming I don’t have any issues from those two issues? I’d think I’d see spikes or something if something was weird with that. No weird issues that I’ve noticed.

Thoughts?

• Netduma Staff
9 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Today it seemed to work fine as far as changing my home location. So if I have strict mode on, ping assist set to let’s say 30, am I only supposed to get servers within my radius, or will it go outside the radius (if it’s under 30ms) even with strict mode on?

And.....I’ve seen you all talking about AdBlocker & not plugging the router into extenders, but directly into the wall, etc. I just use a MACbook laptop to run the Duma & PingPlotter along with having everything (modem, router, Xbox etc.) plugged into a high end entertainment surge protector.......Long story short, if my line is stable during gameplay, which it’s pretty close to perfect, I’m assuming I don’t have any issues from those two issues? I’d think I’d see spikes or something if something was weird with that. No weird issues that I’ve noticed.

Thoughts?

You'd still get Ping Assist connections outside the radius (below 30ms), but if they're over that amount and outside the radius they'll be blocked. Just to clarify it a bit - Strict Mode is built so that if a game is running on loads of Authentication / Background servers, and there's a risk of getting booted from the game, you can just disable any dedi blocking so there's no risk of accidentally blocking an important one. With it turned on it'll block all dedi's in the same way it blocks peers.

If you've got no issues on your line then you're all good. We recommend plugging into a wall socket not for line stability (it won't affect your network whatsoever) but in case someone has a dodgy setup and they're risking a power surge breaking their router. Sounds like you have that covered :)

9 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

You'd still get Ping Assist connections outside the radius (below 30ms), but if they're over that amount and outside the radius they'll be blocked. Just to clarify it a bit - Strict Mode is built so that if a game is running on loads of Authentication / Background servers, and there's a risk of getting booted from the game, you can just disable any dedi blocking so there's no risk of accidentally blocking an important one. With it turned on it'll block all dedi's in the same way it blocks peers.

If you've got no issues on your line then you're all good. We recommend plugging into a wall socket not for line stability (it won't affect your network whatsoever) but in case someone has a dodgy setup and they're risking a power surge breaking their router. Sounds like you have that covered :)

So you say if you have your pa set to 30 ms you should get servers under that amount or close to it? I have mine set at 30ms home location set at my house (approx). Rasdius set at 1100mi and get every server in b04 except ones outside of North America. Not sure whats up with that but it doesn't work for me or I'm doing it wrong. Cali server is 70-80 ms (I'm in MN) Atl server is at 60 ms. Why I'm I pulling these? For blackout if I play on these servers I'm toast. Also shouldn't tick rate for the host be higher than mine? 

Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 3.16.36 PM.png