Possible or no??

So, weird thing happened.......my settings have been working great with my sliders set to give me about 10mb down & 10mb up (8% / 98%). For whatever reason, this is where I have the most stable line when running PingPlotter. Anyways, my setup is Modem - Duma - then wireless router & Xbox hardwired to the Duma. I suddenly had massive jitter that wouldn’t go away no matter where I put my settings. Rebooted Duma & still no go. Here’s the weird thing (& question)......is it possible for the wireless router to somehow backfeed to the Duma & wig it out? I wouldn’t have thought so until I did a factory reset on the wireless router & my problem went away! The wireless router is only used for wireless but it’s “after” the Duma in the setup. 

2 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

So, weird thing happened.......my settings have been working great with my sliders set to give me about 10mb down & 10mb up (8% / 98%). For whatever reason, this is where I have the most stable line when running PingPlotter. Anyways, my setup is Modem - Duma - then wireless router & Xbox hardwired to the Duma. I suddenly had massive jitter that wouldn’t go away no matter where I put my settings. Rebooted Duma & still no go. Here’s the weird thing (& question)......is it possible for the wireless router to somehow backfeed to the Duma & wig it out? I wouldn’t have thought so until I did a factory reset on the wireless router & my problem went away! The wireless router is only used for wireless but it’s “after” the Duma in the setup. 

Hello CrossFitKila717,

I wouldn't think that the wireless radio would cause such a problem, other than maybe one of your devices that might have been connected to the wifi to cause such ping spikes. It's been a known factor that mobile devices, especially apple products, tend to have an ill effect on wifi bands, but can sometimes be sorted out within this case using the QOS to reduce the bandwidth of the mobile or questionable devices that may perhaps eating up the bandwidth (maybe just had a ongoing update in the background of the device/client in question).  You mentioned wigging out and factory reset, which again leaves me to believe that a client may have been utilizing the wifi and causing the jitter or ping spikes. Thanks for bringing this up, I know the devs will have more on this.

- Tray

36 minutes ago, TrayDay said:

Hello CrossFitKila717,

I wouldn't think that the wireless radio would cause such a problem, other than maybe one of your devices that might have been connected to the wifi to cause such ping spikes. It's been a known factor that mobile devices, especially apple products, tend to have an ill effect on wifi bands, but can sometimes be sorted out within this case using the QOS to reduce the bandwidth of the mobile or questionable devices that may perhaps eating up the bandwidth (maybe just had a ongoing update in the background of the device/client in question).  You mentioned wigging out and factory reset, which again leaves me to believe that a client may have been utilizing the wifi and causing the jitter or ping spikes. Thanks for bringing this up, I know the devs will have more on this.

- Tray

Thanks for your input. That does seem likely but my wife had just gotten off Netflix “before” this started happening. There was absolutely nothing that “should’ve been” drawing Bandwidth from the WiFi unless as you said, maybe the router itself was updating secretly? My Xbox was the only thing on playing the game, yet under the “device usage” section of the Duma, my wireless router was pulling a lot of bandwidth?! So something was definitely happening somewhere, somehow. 

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Thanks for your input. That does seem likely but my wife had just gotten off Netflix “before” this started happening. There was absolutely nothing that “should’ve been” drawing Bandwidth from the WiFi unless as you said, maybe the router itself was updating secretly? My Xbox was the only thing on playing the game, yet under the “device usage” section of the Duma, my wireless router was pulling a lot of bandwidth?! So something was definitely happening somewhere, somehow. 

I'm not sure about the whole 'backfeed' theory, I don't see that being possible. I reckon maybe the Xbox was doing something it shouldn't have been doing, or the jitter was coming from further upstream and rebooting your other router aligned with the jitter stopping. I think that's more likely - I don't think rebooting the other router actually 'solved' it, rather the issue (caused further upstream, maybe an ISP issue) went away around about the same time.

well....I have heard of routers being able to backfeed into networks...like at our college were prohibited form using routers in the rooms because they have been known to backfeed into the network and assign private IP addresses and it causes a host of weird issues. I dont really know why that would happen, but I wouldnt think on a home enviroment that would likely be the case since the school is more of an enterprise setup. Still, anything is possible and I would just use that router going into the netduma as an AP rather than as another router. I know the R1 wifi is kinda meh compared to most, but def use an AP if thats why you are doing it lol. I think what youre talking about just causes network confusion perhaps even if they are on the same subnet and competing for traffic. Im really not sure how that works, but if you were to leave it that way I would change the subnet at least (if AP mode isnt possible) as to separate them into two networks instead, that way they are less likely to communicate together. The thing is, that router is being assigned an IP as if the netduma were its modem and then that router assigns IPs for its own private LAN. When you think about it, all a modem really is, is a router that modulates signals analog>digital and then digital>analog. This of course depends on what you have for service but essentially thats what it is, a bunch of routers all connected together, only the modem is more wide open for the purpose of having a router connected to it.