Qos is not working for me on the downloading side. how do I fix this?

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Zippy said:

I totally understand that.. I think you guys have been doing your part.. And doing it well.. And I think you said it best on another thread.. That the real testing is when we the users get it because its in the real type environment.. An environment that is different with each user..

Thanks for the feedback here. Fwiw, and I don't want to risk making an empty promise so I say this tentatively: but both NG and ourselves were aware the gap from launching on R1 vs Nighthawk was too long last time, so several things are being done to try and make it faster this time with Milestone 1.4. And we will do our best to keep improving the roll out speed with each milestone. 

By the way - thanks for all your help on this forum, very appreciated by us 👍

20 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks for the feedback here. Fwiw, and I don't want to risk making an empty promise so I say this tentatively: but both NG and ourselves were aware the gap from launching on R1 vs Nighthawk was too long last time, so several things are being done to try and make it faster this time with Milestone 1.4. And we will do our best to keep improving the roll out speed with each milestone. 

By the way - thanks for all your help on this forum, very appreciated by us 👍

I can totally understand.. I wouldn't ever want you guys at Netduma to be put in a situation on making empty promises.. Things come up beyond any ones control at times and usually at the worst times..Im sure things will get better over time with roll outs.. Its a learning process for both really.. Just keep up the good work! And thanks so much for the recognition! That was totally unexpected but very appreciative. :) I do like to try and help when I can and when I see others struggling with something I may be able to help with.. Or just simply to share info.. Its all good and I enjoy it..

Thanks again! 

Zippy.

On 3/7/2019 at 2:43 AM, Zippy said:

I can totally understand.. I wouldn't ever want you guys at Netduma to be put in a situation on making empty promises.. Things come up beyond any ones control at times and usually at the worst times..Im sure things will get better over time with roll outs.. Its a learning process for both really.. Just keep up the good work! And thanks so much for the recognition! That was totally unexpected but very appreciative. :) I do like to try and help when I can and when I see others struggling with something I may be able to help with.. Or just simply to share info.. Its all good and I enjoy it..

Thanks again! 

Zippy.

I have a question, would a quad core cpu on a router make a better qos? 

3 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

I have a question, would a quad core cpu on a router make a better qos? 

Imo fpsabe a good QoS on a router is whats key.. Sure will a good cpu help yes one can say that also.. You want good hardware.. But even with that said a good firmware that does a fantastic job at QoS is key.. No matter how good a cpu is means nothing if the firmware that is on it doesn't hold up or give you the results your looking for.. I must ask what router are you looking at that brings up this question? Or whats your plan?

Zippy.

3 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Imo fpsabe a good QoS on a router is whats key.. Sure will a good cpu help yes one can say that also.. You want good hardware.. But even with that said a good firmware that does a fantastic job at QoS is key.. No matter how good a cpu is means nothing if the firmware that is on it doesn't hold up or give you the results your looking for.. I must ask what router are you looking at that brings up this question? Or whats your plan?

Zippy.

I was looking at Archer C5400X Cause it's on sale right now on amazon.  

2 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

I was looking at Archer C5400X Cause it's on sale right now on amazon.  

That is a beast of a router!  Would you plan on using third party firmware on it? Or stick with the stock firmware..   A friend of mine has one.. He seems to like it! 

1 minute ago, Zippy said:

That is a beast of a router!  Would you plan on using third party firmware on it? Or stick with the stock firmware..   A friend of mine has one.. He seems to like it! 

probably stock firmware, if the qos on it doesn't work better than what I got currently, probably will return it right aways. 

3 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

probably stock firmware, if the qos on it doesn't work better than what I got currently, probably will return it right aways. 

It never would hurt to try it! Sounds like it has good fast throughput!  And if you didn't like it and the QoS doesn't give you what your looking for then just return it..  I just noticed in an article they were comparing it to the ASUS ROG AC5300.. That's impressive really.. I have the ASUS ROG.. Give it a try fpsabe! And if you do get it.. Let me know how it all goes for you. :) 

2 minutes ago, Zippy said:

It never would hurt to try it! Sounds like it has good fast throughput!  And if you didn't like it and the QoS doesn't give you what your looking for then just return it..  I just noticed in an article they were comparing it to the ASUS ROG AC5300.. That's impressive really.. I have the ASUS ROG.. Give it a try fpsabe! And if you do get it.. Let me know how it all goes for you. :) 

well I just ordered it, so I guess we will see how it goes in 2 days. :D

4 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

well I just ordered it, so I guess we will see how it goes in 2 days. :D

Congrates! :D  Its a beast!! Sounds like it has some good QoS features so you should be able to obtain some good results! 

When you setup QoS and adjust things do it in little steps.. I usually focus on download first then move to upload.. Then compare them when they are both set together.. The reason I mention this is because DOCSIS type networks are more sensitive to QoS.. Again good luck and let me know how it all turns out for you! 

Zippy..

On 3/13/2019 at 2:29 AM, Zippy said:

Congrates! :D  Its a beast!! Sounds like it has some good QoS features so you should be able to obtain some good results! 

When you setup QoS and adjust things do it in little steps.. I usually focus on download first then move to upload.. Then compare them when they are both set together.. The reason I mention this is because DOCSIS type networks are more sensitive to QoS.. Again good luck and let me know how it all turns out for you! 

Zippy..

got the router, played around with it for an hour  and it's pretty good. need to do more testing.  

2 hours ago, fpsabe said:

got the router, played around with it for an hour  and it's pretty good. need to do more testing.  

Sounds good! I am curious to see if you can obtain better results with the QoS on this router vs the XR500.. Different routers sometimes implement QoS in a different manner.. Or sometimes work better for whatever the reason being.. But please keep us posted.. Also if you can remember did you happen to have tried to downgrade back to a different firmware when using the XR500? If you recall.. Like if you were using the most current firmware and tried to downgrade back to the .32. Im not sure if at the time we tried that.. Im curious if you recall that or not.. Thanks again!

Zippy. 

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

Sounds good! I am curious to see if you can obtain better results with the QoS on this router vs the XR500.. Different routers sometimes implement QoS in a different manner.. Or sometimes work better for whatever the reason being.. But please keep us posted.. Also if you can remember did you happen to have tried to downgrade back to a different firmware when using the XR500? If you recall.. Like if you were using the most current firmware and tried to downgrade back to the .32. Im not sure if at the time we tried that.. Im curious if you recall that or not.. Thanks again!

Zippy. 

well this is my experience of  around 4 hours of going back and forth with old to the new router to spot the differences and if it's even worth it. and I think i'm going to keep this router.  This router is a legit beast, qos works really good, better than all the routers i've tried. Only thing that will create extra lag is if someone is downloading a file, everything else works perfectly.   And I don't know if it's because of the quad cpu in the new router, but gameplay is way more smoother.  Hit detection seems to be way more consistent even when the ping is the same as before? I don't know how that works, but it seems like the game legit runs smoother, and better, than the older router.  It feels like the game is updating faster on my screen, before with the old router it felt like I was behind everybody else in real time, so it felt like everyone sees me first and felt like I was always in a disadvantage jumping around corners in call of duty. New router has a whole different feeling to the game.  hit detection feels better, gameplay is smoother, aiming and killing is a lot easier, even though it seems like my ping is the same?  I don't know if that's placebo, But I went back and forth with the old router to the new router,  and every time I started playing on the old router, I can feel it being clunky compared to the new router. and every time I went to the new router, gameplay is super smooth,  call of duty characters  that i'm trying to shoot is smoother,  and hit detection is smoother.  Also on the xr500 I had the latest software. 

• Administrators

You said that the QoS is really good but it fails when someone is downloading? QoS is supposed to prevent additional lag when extra downloads happen. If your ping is the same then theres literally no difference there as far as I can tell, try previous firmware on the XR500 as Zippy suggested

21 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You said that the QoS is really good but it fails when someone is downloading? QoS is supposed to prevent additional lag when extra downloads happen. If your ping is the same then theres literally no difference there as far as I can tell, try previous firmware on the XR500 as Zippy suggested

I don't have the xr500 anymore, I returned it.  NO qos of any router I tried got rid of the additional lag when someone is downloading, but my new router does it the best that i've seen.  

• Administrators

Sorry to hear that, whatever the issue was seems specific to your connection/settings as for literally everyone else the QoS is far superior to any other. I'm sure we could have resolved the issue with more time. Don't hesitate to consider us again in the future!

As you've returned the router you no longer need support so I'll close this topic.