Console Bandwidth Settings Survey

PharmDawgg

1. What download bandwidth settings are most appropriate for console gaming?

512 Kbit/s
1Mbit/s
2Mbit/s
4Mbit/s
8Mbit/s
16Mbit/s
32Mbit/s
64Mbit/s
128Mbit/s
256Mbit/s
512Mbit/s
No Limit

2. What upload bandwidth settings are most appropriate for console gaming?

512 Kbit/s
1Mbit/s
2Mbit/s
4Mbit/s
8Mbit/s
16Mbit/s
32Mbit/s
64Mbit/s
128Mbit/s
256Mbit/s
512Mbit/s
No Limit

3 hours ago, PharmDawgg said:

I was just wondering if I set my upload/download to 4Mbit/s what kind of experience would I get. Just experimenting. Loving the S8000 Nighthawk switch. 

from what I have read and heard about the S8000 switch they do suggest that you disable QOS completely on the router and let the switch do the QOS.

I was just curious because I have my Xbox One X connected to a switch which I can set bandwidth limits for manually.  Was wondering if there was a sweet spot? I know I have seen on Microsoft's website minimum settings of Download 3.5Mbit/s - Upload 0.5Mbit/s.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:06 PM, PharmDawgg said:

I was just curious because I have my Xbox One X connected to a switch which I can set bandwidth limits for manually.  Was wondering if there was a sweet spot? I know I have seen on Microsoft's website minimum settings of Download 3.5Mbit/s - Upload 0.5Mbit/s.

For any game with decent netcode i would say bandwidth doesnt matter as long as its sufficient to play without lagging and you have taken care of local congestion etc but imo for cod and games with bad netcode everyone's connection varies so you need to experiment with what works best for your line and ping (which is a massive factor in this whole equation). Sometimes tho making your connection slightly sub par (Not A+'s on dslreports lol)  can actually improve the gameplay which is pretty sad really. You need to experiment like do max download with say 0.5mb upload and vice versa, the possibilities are endless and it can drive you bonkers lol. So if you're just a casual gamer just stick with the 70/70 spiel and save yourself hrs of tweaking for possibly marginal results. Unfortunately there is still no guaranteed magic formula for bad netcode, cough cough @Netduma devs 😉. On your switch if it was me i would try 0.5mb down and 0.25mb up as a base limit and tweak up from there.

• Netduma Staff

It's a great question - I agree with Zennon as a general guide. You can get placebo effects from throttling in obscure ways, it's best to keep it simple and base it on how much bandwidth the game is using on average.