XR500 Internet Disconnects on Latest 2.3.2.40 Firmware

I recently started getting random internet disconnects on my XR500.  I am running the latest 2.3.2.40 firmware.  It happens every couple of days.  Most of the time I can reboot the router and get the internet back, but tonight I had to do a complete router reset to get it back.  It may be the Xbox One that was added to my network about 3 weeks ago, but I have turned off Instant On on the Xbox One and it is still happening.  It seems to be worse on the latest firmware.  After tonight's disconnect, I have put the Xbox One behind a network switch.  We will see if that helps.  Any other suggestions? Or is there another firmware that addresses this issue?

• Administrators

Hi Dilly - it's possible the Xbox One was the cause. You have the very latest build, so there's no newer firmware we can recommend.

Let us know if it's better via a switch - would be very interested to know if this helps. Given you have disabled the Instant On option though and the issue was still happening I fear this issue is probably elsewhere.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I am running the router directly with PPPoE connection. Every 2-3 days the internet disconnects, connects again and I get a new IP. Sometimes it also the case that in 10 minutes it disconnects 2-3 times. In the log file I you only see internet disconnected/internet connected. I am running the xr5000 since launch and this was never a problem (guess since the last 1 or 2 fw versions this started to happen)

I have already replaced the xr500 with a new one and it's still the same problem. As I thought it's a problem with my ISP, I contacted them and they have already checked everything but couldn't find a problem on their side.

I am now running the xr500 in AP mode with my old router before and it's running fine since 2 weeks.

Regards,

eXi

• Administrators

I'd first check that the PPPoE connection on the XR500 is set to Always Connected in Internet Setup. Then make sure any consoles you have are not in rest mode/instant on and you turn them off fully. Would also suggest setting a static WAN IP in Internet Setup.

Been having the same issue for a while too. At first I thought it was the modem but after checking the modem logs it's clear.  About every 2 days the Xr500 will randomly disconnect all devices and then reconnect. A reboot is necessary after that happens

• Netduma Staff

Thanks for sharing this info guys, it'll be super helpful. Would any of you object to Netgear contacting you directly through the email you've used to sign up on the forum? We'll look into this case further, so they might need to contact you for further steps :)