PingPlotter results not what I expected..

Hi all,

Ive been running some ping plotter tests and ive found some interesting results.827594622_ScreenShot2018-12-28at17_01_00.thumb.png.bb118d31578a19b40c402aefb4692329.png

Ive got my QOS set to 70/70 with the anti-bufferbloat as always on. 

As you can see the results aren't very promising. 

I've pinged multiple ip's with near enough same results.

Ive been running these tests throughout the day whilst other devices have been streaming content, surfing the web etc..  

From what I understand, the QOS should prevent all local congestion from allowing my ping to spike.

So why am I still getting this?

1197879085_ScreenShot2018-12-28at18_28_41.thumb.png.354875e229af41723622477f6b4794a4.pngAs per request fraser, but I cant understand why you want the 2.5 second intervals when the 1 second intervals are alot more accurate imo.

With a game like BO4 and other first person twitch shooters it only takes a 1 to 2 seconds to die. So a short drastic ping spike like you see on my initial graph will make all the differance.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Zennon might be able to back me up on this but I believe there was some issue using 1 over 2.5 on PingPlotter? 

Yes sometimes anything lower than a 2.5 can show packet loss when there is non in reality.

The difference is not massive from your idle line to when you are saturating it, you have around 5ms of jitter when it spikes while Idle that jitter is only moving to 10ms max when saturated, where if you had no congestion control in may be in the 40-50ms range or higher.

I personally think this looks ok for a line that has a bit of jitter to start with.

Are any of the devices that are using bandwidth in the traffic prioritisation? as this will make larger spikes as the packets are prioritised.

If you want I could team viewer in and run some tests for you tomorrow but I think you have nothing to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 10:11 PM, Zennon said:

Yes sometimes anything lower than a 2.5 can show packet loss when there is non in reality.

The difference is not massive from your idle line to when you are saturating it, you have around 5ms of jitter when it spikes while Idle that jitter is only moving to 10ms max when saturated, where if you had no congestion control in may be in the 40-50ms range or higher.

I personally think this looks ok for a line that has a bit of jitter to start with.

Are any of the devices that are using bandwidth in the traffic prioritisation? as this will make larger spikes as the packets are prioritised.

If you want I could team viewer in and run some tests for you tomorrow but I think you have nothing to worry about.

Hi Zen,

Apologies for the super delayed response. 

No devices at all being prioritised other than the ps4.

The 1sec intervals is not showing packet loss, only spikes. 

The graph is pretty much steady when im directly connected to the modem @ 1sec intervals, so evidently ping plotter seems to be working fine.

id be glad if you could take a look, let me know if your free sometime tomorrow or in the near future

Regards

22 minutes ago, Stealth_01 said:

Hi Zen,

Apologies for the super delayed response. 

No devices at all being prioritised other than the ps4.

The 1sec intervals is not showing packet loss, only spikes. 

The graph is pretty much steady when im directly connected to the modem @ 1sec intervals, so evidently ping plotter seems to be working fine.

id be glad if you could take a look, let me know if your free sometime tomorrow or in the near future

Regards

And you are running the speed tests / downloads / surfing from where?