Understanding New Features With Latetest Firmware Update

Hello everyone! I have a strange question regarding info shown on the Geo filter screen. I see now we have extra info like tick rate and also receive and send of Kbps.. Heres where things I feel get starnge.. My Tick Rate looks good and stays consistent 60-61 both my client and the server. What I have found strange was that im receiving about 516-580 kbps. But my send rate is only between 35-55 kbps..  Is my send rate suppose to be this low? I would think it should be almost matching my receive rate not? The reason I ask this is because the game really performs very strangely and I have a funny feeling this is my problem..  Anyone have any thoughts on this? I find this very odd and it shouldn't be that low.. Thanks!

• Administrators

Hi Zippy - which game are you playing? And that difference is normal and makes sense. Say you’re in a game with 9 other players. You just need to send to the host your actions (e.g. throwing a remade, shooting, running etc). Whilst the game has to send you the actions of all the other 9 players, plus any other things happening in the game

2 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi Zippy - which game are you playing? And that difference is normal and makes sense. Say you’re in a game with 9 other players. You just need to send to the host your actions (e.g. throwing a remade, shooting, running etc). Whilst the game has to send you the actions of all the other 9 players, plus any other things happening in the game

Hey Thanks for your reply! The game im playing is Halo5. So what you are saying is that is perfectly normal for me to receive roughly 516 kbps and only send 35-55 kbps? I just figured those numbers would have been very close to one another. My base ping to that server is 28ms. I just cant understand why it performs so oddly. So my reasoning was what I stated above. Thinking my send kbps was way to low.. I just cant figure out why this game performs like this.. Wouldn't you think a ping of 28ms is respectable to a server? Im stumped to be honest..

Thanks again for your reply!

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

Hey Thanks for your reply! The game im playing is Halo5. So what you are saying is that is perfectly normal for me to receive roughly 516 kbps and only send 35-55 kbps? I just figured those numbers would have been very close to one another. My base ping to that server is 28ms. I just cant understand why it performs so oddly. So my reasoning was what I stated above. Thinking my send kbps was way to low.. I just cant figure out why this game performs like this.. Wouldn't you think a ping of 28ms is respectable to a server? Im stumped to be honest..

Thanks again for your reply!

Just as the other response, it is normal. In multiplayer games there is more data to receive than there is to send out.

You really haven't given us any info to go on as far as what problems you are having. Saying "performs very strangely" isn't very descriptive. Tell us what the issue is with detail.

• Administrators

Hi Zippy - thanks for the update. To confirm, that’s normal for Halo 5. 

What do you mean by performing ‘oddly’. It might be other players in the game - the game is geared towards that whatever happens on your screen Ian the truth. So if you have a player with a very high ping on the other team they can shoot you through walls etc. 

Thanks everyone for your replies.. Ive played a lot of online games over the years but have never experienced what I have with any game before except Halo5. So this makes it very difficult to explain. But here is what happens.. When playing H5 something takes place where one gets this slowing effect. Things become very sluggish and it feels like your spartan has lead shoes. It really effects the whole mechanics of the game. Spartan mobility is sluggish, rate of fire is slower, hit registration is very poor, basically everything in the game is effected in some form or fashion.. It doesn't show itself as lag but yet one could say it is a form of it but again it doesn't fit the traditional form of lag.. There is never two games that play alike and why I cant understand this whole oddity is because ive never experienced this before..  Maybe its bad net code idk.. But im going to dig into this a bit more and ask Josh over at 343 about this and see what he has to say..  But if other players ping can effect others in the game then this is very troubling specially if its giving me this effect.. If anyone has any thoughts please feel free to share.. Again thanks!

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, Bmann said:

Sounds like my experience with Destiny 2 and Destiny 1 also. The P2P hybrid setup Destiny uses feels sluggish in most of my PVP games and in competitive it feels worse.

Destiny 2 PVP is messy at the best of times. Heck, even on Mayhem you get people who've managed to hack the game or learn exploits. There's plenty of lag-switchers as well. I find the best PVP can be found in Gambit these days, since for the most part you aren't dealing with actual opponents!

I could try to upload a couple of games.. I will have to figure out how to do that though and when I have some free time.. Ive been focusing on a couple factors though and one in particular. I know MS uses msn.net for all there routing. And I did notice a hop between two MS servers/routers and what a peers to be with in the same location or even at the data center level. Between these two hops the latency is very unstable.. It is naturally higher and even seems to spike! I have a funny feeling that maybe the cause of my issues. The only reason I feel this to be the cause is because Josh from 343 explained to me what takes place when  lag spikes are detected while playing a game. He mentioned that when a spike is detected ones upload gets throttled down to about nothing and slowly brought back up until another is detected..  Ive dug into this even a bit further and noticed that players north of this data center hit that same bad hop and the game play results tend to be the same.. My only question is who would one talk to about this? I think I could give them the id's/addresses of the server or router that is causing this.. It would never hurt to have them check this.. But something tells me I would get the run around... Anyone have any thoughts?  Thanks again for your time!

• Administrators

I would probably say that if the issue lies that far up the line that you will probably not get very far with them fixing that. They likely do not want to mess with that system too much. I'm not sure who you'd start the conversation with to be honest. Perhaps you could try Xbox support.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I would probably say that if the issue lies that far up the line that you will probably not get very far with them fixing that. They likely do not want to mess with that system too much. I'm not sure who you'd start the conversation with to be honest. Perhaps you could try Xbox support.

Thanks Fraser I understand what you mean. When I seen msn.net I knew this likely wasn't going to be easy to get fixed. And I still am going to double checking a few things just to be absolutely sure there isn't another cause. Last thing I want to do is say something without certainty.. With that said I also need to make another post about my XR500. For some reason if I reboot my router it never reconnects. And when doing a factory reset/hard reset it does the same thing. Another very odd thing.. Seems im having some very bad luck thus far. I want to have my ISP to come over and double check everything but I know if my XR500 is acting up that's going to be the first thing they point too.. Thanks again for your time..

• Administrators

Are you using PPPoE for the XR500 by any chance? If so it needs to be changed to connection mode always connected and that should resolve it. If what I said before is true then it may be that it can't detect that connection for some reason and you'll just need to get all the way through and setup manually.

You can still get your ISP over but unplug the XR500 and hide it, if they even see it they will blame it, regardless if the issue lies there or not

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you using PPPoE for the XR500 by any chance? If so it needs to be changed to connection mode always connected and that should resolve it. If what I said before is true then it may be that it can't detect that connection for some reason and you'll just need to get all the way through and setup manually.

You can still get your ISP over but unplug the XR500 and hide it, if they even see it they will blame it, regardless if the issue lies there or not

Hey Fraser, No PPPoE. I just plug n play. No credentials needed in the router for my ISP.. This is the only router ive ever had this issue with before..If I plug my ASUS back in it connects right away with no issue.. And I can reboot it without issue as well. But cant do that at all with the XR500.. Ive always liked to reboot my router once in awhile to refresh things.. I dare not do that with this gem. 

I agree.. Im going to hide this router when I have my ISP over. Thats good advice there.. Its a shame that's the first thing they look at..Im having them over to update my modem and check my cable.. They said it was time to upgrade my modem to the new DOCSIS 3.1. I just want to make sure this new modem has nothing to do with the Puma chipset.. That's a no go!

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, Zippy said:

Hey Fraser, No PPPoE. I just plug n play. No credentials needed in the router for my ISP.. This is the only router ive ever had this issue with before..If I plug my ASUS back in it connects right away with no issue.. And I can reboot it without issue as well. But cant do that at all with the XR500.. Ive always liked to reboot my router once in awhile to refresh things.. I dare not do that with this gem. 

I agree.. Im going to hide this router when I have my ISP over. Thats good advice there.. Its a shame that's the first thing they look at..Im having them over to update my modem and check my cable.. They said it was time to upgrade my modem to the new DOCSIS 3.1. I just want to make sure this new modem has nothing to do with the Puma chipset.. That's a no go!

Yeh it is a shame. For ISP's though, I'm sure their engineers have plenty of experiences where the router is to blame rather than them - it's probably annoying every time. I'm not surprised they jump on the chance to blame anything but themselves since it's profitable and less time consuming for the engineers.

Let us know how it goes with your ISP!