XR500 + Netgear X6S Mesh Network

• Administrators
6 hours ago, xr500user said:

I have an old R7000 in AP mode on my network - The wifi roaming on it works pretty seamlessly (no wifi drops) but once you roam onto it you can't be seen by device manager. You just drop off the online list.. The xr500 still sees you in the network monitor area when you are using bandwidth, but device manager is blind to you if you're behind the AP.. it doesn't create "unnamed devices" at all with AP connection points for me (this is extender behavior changing of the device macs)  it's just device manager blind to your online activity... hopefully it fixes this issue too?

xr500user

Yes, detecting Extenders / APs and the devices behind it have all been improved - hopefully you'll have fun testing this out when it's released.

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2018 at 12:29 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

We've fixed this issue so it will be present in the next firmware version.

Was this issue supposed to be fixed in the latest firmware update?  I'm on version V2.3.2.40 but it doesn't appear to be fixed.

seems like a very decent attempt to get it working, but it still has some bugs ..

i retired my r7000 over xmas for 2 ex8000s , so far the best most stable config i've found is using both with ethernet backhauls , but i am not 100% sure that by using ethernet backhaul with these extenders is taking any advantage over using the wifi backhaul  w.802.11k  -- i think 11k it being disabled and the extender is not sharing information with the router when using ethernet (or the router isn't able to negotiate this in AP mode) speed advantage yes, fast roaming, no if you follow me

but they may be talking to each other to load balance because they are aware of each other - but it could be a buggy thing, when the connected clients wants to work i can see it is keeping track of Db levels, and somehow one extender saw the Dbm levels of clients on the other one, but not sure if this was intended (could be an extender bug in AP mode for all I know, ex8000 seems like a work in progress too)

clients appear to roam on their own accord when they are in AP, sometimes quickly , sometimes after a few minutes but the roaming is creating a situation with the device managers ability to keep a good tracking of them, and once the situation goes fubar it starts to effect other dumaos features that rely on this information to be accurate at all times - qos / dpi etc

the advantage with ethernet backhaul is 2 5ghz bands with this extender  -since it uses the 1733M for the backhaul when using the wifi backhaul/extender mode-  but when in AP mode this 1733M band is available to incoming wifi clients

its up and running, just some devices that tend to roam  getting stuck offline right now, when it should be listed on the LAN side as online (as they are connected, but through the AP with ethernet backhaul) instead showing as Offline with active IP/MAC address attached to them.

as far as I can tell the router is handling everything correctly, it's duma that is losing this tracking..

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, TheDude2850 said:

Was this issue supposed to be fixed in the latest firmware update?  I'm on version V2.3.2.40 but it doesn't appear to be fixed.

Are you having the exact same issue? Could you describe what's happening in your case, maybe with screenshots as well?

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators
58 minutes ago, Cimsongriff said:

Has this issue ever been resolved for the XR500?  I am on the latest firmware and still seeing unnamed dev listed, some as offline, but if you try to remove you get the response that the device cannot be removed because it is online

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If a device still has an IP address then it will still be 'active', it should be removable after a few minutes. Otherwise a reboot will allow you to delete the device.

• 8 months later...

Hi,
Can anyone confirm that this issue has been resolved?
I seem to be having this exact issue with an XR500 and an EX7700 mesh extender running the same SSID.
When just using the XR500 all is good on the network map but when i turn on the EX7700 the extender always shows as offline and I begin to get devices appearing as duplicate unnamed devices across the network map. I can't delete the unnamed devices as they are still connected. So far the only way I have found to be able to remove them is turn off the extender and then reboot the XR500. Slowly the devices come back online and return to normal names. As soon as I turn the extender back on though the same thing happens with the duplicates appearing as unnamed devices. I'm running the latest firmware on both as far as I'm aware.
Would love to get this resolved as it is causing me headaches trying to monitor the home network and distribute or block certain things when needed.  

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It is quite hard from what I remember to determine whether these devices are online when connected to the extender. Make sure you're on the latest firmware first of all. This was something we looked at a while back and I believe was fixed but looks like we need to take another look.