Having problems with street fighter 5 AE with netduma R1

Hi, im playing street fighter  AE on PS4, with 80 down and 20 upload and a ping of 7 mi sec.I live in london. Im having problems getting matches and when i do. countries such as spain, italy, sweden and germany are the coutries i feqently get matche up with and this is with my geo filter off, all ipv 6 disable. cc set @ 70/70. hyper taffic on. upnp port forwarding able and applyed. And when i do turn on the geo fliter, i dont get no game for @ least 20 minutes or none @ all.. please help

• Netduma Staff

i have tryed and try it again and ever time i turn on the geo filter all the host disappear, i wait and i still get nothing after 20 minutes

This will likely be a case of your location versus the location of the server. If the servers are all being blocked by your Geo-Filter then you won't be able to connect to the game.

Every game works differently server-wise, it's just a matter of learning how best to use the Geo-Filter. Reckon you could screenshot your Geo-Filter and show us what's going on? Where are the servers located in relation to you?

Thanks for the quick reply. And I think your Wright in what you was saying. In the screen shot above, I have the geo filter enable and strict mode on, and it seem like the sever is in the United States. Maybe that's why my geo filter won't pick up any games. Even when it off, I don't get game like how I use too, I use to get a lot of game from England and America. Any way, I hope you can solve my problem..

• Netduma Staff

It's worth noting that when the Geo-Filter is turned off, the Netduma acts like a standard router (and doesn't affect your connection to game hosts).

If it's disabled but you aren't connecting like you used to, the issue is very likely to be with the game itself. The only other real possibility is your NAT. Do you have an open NAT?

If you do then you could even disconnect the Netduma to prove it to yourself. The game will be at fault - perhaps their Europe servers are down, or perhaps their net-code has changed and resulted in you being incorrectly put on a US server.

Could you click on that US server and just check your distance to it? It might even be incorrectly located, in which case there might be something we can do.

• Netduma Staff

Nat type 2, distance 4989 miles. Disconnected netduma and it still the same. Hope you can help.

I've seen others complaining about SFV after the latest update as well - looks like they've done something to their net-code. I'm not sure why they've changed things, but unfortunately you've proven to yourself that the Netduma isn't causing the issue. If the issue still happens - Netduma or no Netduma - then unfortunately there's not a whole lot you'll be able to do.

If you have the Geo-Filter radius over your location with Strict Mode, Ping Assist at 0ms and an open NAT, and the game STILL chooses to try to connect you to the US, then something is seriously wrong on their end - not yours.

I'd recommend raising this complaint with them personally.

• Netduma Staff

Thanks for your help. I did look into the net codeing and found that there are problem on capcom side of things. Thanks again for your time..

No problem - we hope Capcom sort out these issues soon so SFV can get back to normal. You should be able to force the closest server to you once it's back up!

Netduma doesn't really work with SFV. The reason is there's a centralized server that connects everyone worldwide and what it does it pairs you up to another player by having both of you ping each other to play peer 2 peer. If you try to force a localized area with the geo filter the servers will take over and try to connect you through the server itself. You'll see three dots when a game starts vs two dots and the person on the geo filter will be shown as the triangle (the game will play terribly as its through the server rather than peer 2 peer).

Here is how I got it to work on the night hawk. It's probably different than your R1 but it might give you some ideas to test. In the Geo Filter for PS4 add device and select PS4. For your PC go to device manager and change it to xbox, then go back to geo filter and add device and select your PC and it will add it as a console. This is the only way I could get it show who it was pinging on the PC through Steam. After that change the geo filter settings to filtering mode, turn off strict mode and auto ping host (essentially you are disabling it).  Then set your fight request to 5 bars only and ask. Then on the geo filter you can set a radius if you want (just for visual purposes). I find 1000 miles is pretty good for fighting games, and then visually look to see where the game pings players. You'll usually see a person pinged and then you'll hear a new fight is coming your way. You can then ping that person to confirm the ping is good and if they are in the country you want to play against. 

As for the netcode being changed. It hasn't as far as I can tell, but Capcom did change to Amazon servers like a year and half ago due to disconnecting issues they were having with the original servers. I'm kind of shocked at how quick the admins went to blame the developer without testing this themselves. They say SFV is supported but there isn't even a profile for it, so it makes you question if they've even tested the game at all. 

• Administrators

Netduma doesn't really work with SFV. The reason is there's a centralized server that connects everyone worldwide and what it does it pairs you up to another player by having both of you ping each other to play peer 2 peer. If you try to force a localized area with the geo filter the servers will take over and try to connect you through the server itself. You'll see three dots when a game starts vs two dots and the person on the geo filter will be shown as the triangle (the game will play terribly as its through the server rather than peer 2 peer).

Here is how I got it to work on the night hawk. It's probably different than your R1 but it might give you some ideas to test. In the Geo Filter for PS4 add device and select PS4. For your PC go to device manager and change it to xbox, then go back to geo filter and add device and select your PC and it will add it as a console. This is the only way I could get it show who it was pinging on the PC through Steam. After that change the geo filter settings to filtering mode, turn off strict mode and auto ping host (essentially you are disabling it).  Then set your fight request to 5 bars only and ask. Then on the geo filter you can set a radius if you want (just for visual purposes). I find 1000 miles is pretty good for fighting games, and then visually look to see where the game pings players. You'll usually see a person pinged and then you'll hear a new fight is coming your way. You can then ping that person to confirm the ping is good and if they are in the country you want to play against. 

As for the netcode being changed. It hasn't as far as I can tell, but Capcom did change to Amazon servers like a year and half ago due to disconnecting issues they were having with the original servers. I'm kind of shocked at how quick the admins went to blame the developer without testing this themselves. They say SFV is supported but there isn't even a profile for it, so it makes you question if they've even tested the game at all. 

Awesome summary, thank you for sharing. Good thinking on switching your PC to a console on the Device Manager - this is actually what we would recommend you do in these situations where your PC game is either on an engine we don't yet have in our DPI or it's a game usually found on consoles.

As for the netcode and approach you are taking - it looks like we are just at the mercy of the game. It's obviously much better if the game let's the Geo-Filter do its thing and automatically finds you a better match, but given that's not possible here your solution looks to the be the best option.

this is actually what we would recommend you do in these situations where your PC game is either on an engine we don't yet have in our DPI or it's a game usually found on consoles.

So why is SFV listed as a fully supported game if it's not in your DPI or initially read by the geo filter without some tweaks? Shouldn't you have a profile that has an assigned list of servers that are allowed for SFV and approximate range to get good matches if it's fully supported? To suggest it is would mean you'd turn SFV and geo filter on and it would get you a match within that geo filter location and only that location, but that is not what happens. The geo filter can be used to find where people are at and their ping and that's it. It cannot filter out bad connections or players from remote distances as the server will bypass any blocked ports and direct the game through it which makes the game worse than it would have been otherwise.

I bought this router after I read SFV was fully supported because I thought it was optimized for SFV to get better matches, but when I got it I figured out I had to basically disable everything to get it to work and I still had to do the filtering myself. I get why you guys are at the whim of the game matchmaking, but to say it's fully supported and gets you the best possible match is a stretch and can be viewed to some as false advertising.  Please look into this and either get this game fully supported or remove it. 

I should also mention I'm getting pings showing players in Oklahoma, but the ping is giving me a domain name in Southern California (socal.res.rr.com). Is the geo filter misreading the IP or is something else going on here? If this isn't showing accurately is it possible the geo filter is wrong when it's showing people on the map in south america and africa? If that is the case then the geo filter map isn't helpful with this SFV at all.

post-31104-0-73076200-1532817051_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

That’s fair feedback and we will look into it. We tested it at launch on console and back then, iirc, it was working similarly to MKX (mainly P2P) so we had it up and running.

We’ll look to get the game tested again soon and will update our compatibility list accordingly.

Thank you. In the meantime I'm going to hold off on my testing of how match making works with SFV since the geo filter ping locations are now in question. I originally thought the game was pinging worldwide, but now that I've confirmed a ping in Oklahoma is registering to So Cal I can not longer use netduma to confirm the servers are searching worldwide for matches. 

You should be able to use the same game from when you originally tested if you still have it. The Arcade Edition update is free. Just has to be downloaded. There's no need to buy arcade edition unless you want the season 1 and 2 passes which is just characters.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I just got back from EVO 2018. Any update on testing SFV?

Can reproduce the issue you were having. Have identified a few servers that need whitelisting, will need to do a bit more testing on it but believe once we've got all the servers whitelisted you'll be able to Geo-Filter correctly

That's great news. Will you also be adding a profile for SFV that is compatible with a PC device? I currently have to set my PC in devices to an xbox to get it to work as a steam game otherwise it won't show servers or pinged players in the geo filter. PS4 console appears to be working correctly however. 

• Netduma Staff

That's great news. Will you also be adding a profile for SFV that is compatible with a PC device? I currently have to set my PC in devices to an xbox to get it to work as a steam game otherwise it won't show servers or pinged players in the geo filter. PS4 console appears to be working correctly however. 

The whole 'changing your PC to an Xbox' thing will probably be different soon enough. Anything non-intuitive on DumaOS will be stamped out or remedied over time as we streamline the whole experience. I hope you enjoy future changes to DumaOS :D

• 3 weeks later...

I hope streamlined doesn't mean options will be removed like I noticed with host analysis not being in DumaOS (being able to see jitter, etc is a huge plus especially when it comes to fighting games). I personally will still want to be able to adjust device settings if the need arises. Also any update on the SFV testing? Did you get the servers whitelisted?

• Netduma Staff

I hope streamlined doesn't mean options will be removed like I noticed with host analysis not being in DumaOS (being able to see jitter, etc is a huge plus especially when it comes to fighting games). I personally will still want to be able to adjust device settings if the need arises. Also any update on the SFV testing? Did you get the servers whitelisted?

I'm not sure on the SFV testing, I'll have to ask Fraser when he's back in the office.

I believe Host Analysis was removed since it was inaccurate and rarely used. In fact, I think you're the first person I've seen in my 2.5 years of working here who has mentioned it being useful, believe it or not!

Don't worry about quantity of features. We built DumaOS specifically to be the foundation for a quantity of features never before seen on routers. DumaOS allows for the installing / uninstalling or Router 'Apps', which is something no router has done before. This means we can upgrade it so easily and frequently that it'll make your head spin, but we're not at the upgrading stage just yet.

What would be the most useful thing for you in SFV? If there's anything you'd like to see let us know and we'll add it to our roadmap!