XR500 Losing setting after reboot

My Netgear XR500 lost it's configuration settings after a reboot today. I have installed the latest FW 2.2.1.10 last week and did a factory reset then configured the XR500 and made a backup. However after having a brief power outage today when the power came back on the router rebooted with default factory settings. Had to restore configuration settings from a backup. 

• Administrators

The power outage may have caused the factory reset due to the sudden nature of turning off. It's not something we can really test for but if it hasn't happening before and only occurred when the power outage occurred I think it should be fine, do keep and eye out though.

I will and thanks for the reply. I haven't had this happen with any other router that I had from Netgear other routers that power off suddenly due to power loss  always came back with configuration o.k. on router. This is the only router that I have had from Netgear that this has happened with. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fraser,

Had the same issue again last night..lost power and when the power was restored modem restarted and XR500 reverted back to factory defaults. I tried to restore from a backup and it wouldn't restore from backup. I had to manually enter all the settings. Any idea as to why this happens when it loses power abruptly? I have had other routers from Netgear in the past and never had this issue with any other router. 

• Administrators

Hi Neo - sorry to hear this has reoccurred. It would be best if a NETGEAR engineer looked into this.

Could you email us your details at [email protected] and we can take it from there. 

Thanks.

• 11 months later...

Did you ever get a resolution for this?  I have an xr500 I bought last fall that just started doing this.  Netgear replaced it under warranty.  Now, after 1 week, my new one just started doing the same thing.  It is rebooting on its own and resetting back to factory when it does.  I have not called Netgear back yet as the device is at home and I am still at work.  I am/was running the latest firmware available from the DL site.  

Yes my issue was temporarily fixed after the router was replaced under warranty by Netgear, however this past weekend 

after a vehicle hit a utility pole and when the router rebooted it was back to it's default settings.

Seems that the issue with the router resetting itself to factory defaults after a power outage has returned..

Unfortunately my router is out of warranty and cannot be swapped for a new one.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, rhettw said:

Did you ever get a resolution for this?  I have an xr500 I bought last fall that just started doing this.  Netgear replaced it under warranty.  Now, after 1 week, my new one just started doing the same thing.  It is rebooting on its own and resetting back to factory when it does.  I have not called Netgear back yet as the device is at home and I am still at work.  I am/was running the latest firmware available from the DL site.  

I’d highly recommend getting a swap on this. Not normal behaviour at all and likely to be hardware related. 

Update to my previous reply..I lost power this weekend after a vehicle hit a utility pole and when the router rebooted it was back to it's default settings.

Seems that the issue with the router resetting itself to factory defaults after a power outage has returned..

• Netduma Staff
20 hours ago, neo2070 said:

Update to my previous reply..I lost power this weekend after a vehicle hit a utility pole and when the router rebooted it was back to it's default settings.

I'm not sure if there's anything Netgear can do for you if you're outside your warranty. Does it lose power often? There's always a chance that the power adapter is the real culprit, and replacing that could solve your problem.

Check the stats on your power adapter provided by Netgear. You should be able to buy one with the exact same stats (voltage, amps etc). DO NOT buy a power adapter unless it matches exactly. You'll put your own safety at risk, never mind the router.

• 1 month later...

My XR500 does the exact same thing. Any time the router reboots either manually or through power loss, I have to start the setup wizard for my WAN connection to come back up. 

If this was an isolated incident, I could understand but if several people are being affected by this, then its a more widespread issue. 

Firmware version    XR500 V2.3.2.40

I received this router as a review product from Netgear and the Power adapter is the same that came in the box. My equipment sits behind an APC UPS 1200W. 

• Administrators
On 5/13/2019 at 1:34 PM, peterocc said:

My XR500 does the exact same thing. Any time the router reboots either manually or through power loss, I have to start the setup wizard for my WAN connection to come back up. 

If this was an isolated incident, I could understand but if several people are being affected by this, then its a more widespread issue. 

Firmware version    XR500 V2.3.2.40

I received this router as a review product from Netgear and the Power adapter is the same that came in the box. My equipment sits behind an APC UPS 1200W. 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Power loss I can kind of understand but a reboot shouldn't cause this. Are you unplugging the router by any chance to do a reboot? If so if you do it via the interface does it reboot correctly without having to go through the setup again?

• 3 months later...
Guest Killhippie
17 minutes ago, peterocc said:

Apologies for the delay in replying. Yes it happens regardless of whether a reboot is done via GUI or depressing the power button in the rear. 

Thats really odd, I can power mine down remove the power adaptor and leave it say 15 minutes and power up and all my settings remain there, I don't have to start again using the wizard. I wonder if the NAND is corrupt? The router should obviously not loose its settings and its not something I've seen mentioned a lot. I know this will sound really silly but after applying each of your settings you did press apply? (I had to ask, sorry)

2 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Thats really odd, I can power mine down remove the power adaptor and leave it say 15 minutes and power up and all my settings remain there, I don't have to start again using the wizard. I wonder if the NAND is corrupt? The router should obviously not loose its settings and its not something I've seen mentioned a lot. I know this will sound really silly but after applying each of your settings you did press apply? (I had to ask, sorry)

I have. As a network engineer I have an ingrained habit of constantly saving my work. 

Its just really annoying to have to go through 45-60 minutes of reconnecting and setup attempts after a reboot. Especially when the reboot process hangs the router and prevents you from completing the setup process on occasion. I have to end up going through the setup wizard 4-5 times before the connection and reboot actually work. 

21 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

There is a new update that was released on Friday. Could you update to this new version and see if the problem still occurs?

I’ll try it once I can actually get online again. I’ve had to go through the setup process 5 times now and only once was I was able to get through to the point where it prompted me to install the newest firmware. Then the reboot process hung and I had to start over again. 

Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

What browser/OS are you using and are you trying to connect to the interface via HTTPS?

Google Chrome (latest version). I can try Internet Exploder if necessary. 

Connection is as follows:

Netgear CM400 — Netgear SE3005 Switch — Netgear ProSafe108 Switch — Netgear XR500 

ISP shows green across the board. Even bypassing the switches and going direct, I am unable to rejoin the network now. 

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you prevent saving of cookies and cache on your browser? Are you accessing via routerlogin.net or the LAN IP and do you notice a difference if you make changes on each of these whether they save or not?

Normally via IP address. I ended up having to restore the router to factory default, then connect each component one by one before everything started working. Have not rebooted it for fear of having to go through this again. 

I was able to successfully update the firmware to the one released last week. I will reboot the router tomorrow am when it has the least impact and report back. 

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you prevent saving of cookies and cache on your browser? Are you accessing via routerlogin.net or the LAN IP and do you notice a difference if you make changes on each of these whether they save or not?

I rebooted my NG XR500 and got the exact same result as before. Settings are lost and does not automatically reconnect to Internet. I have to go through the same Setup Wizard. Yet it recalls my previous settings. 

Hard to imagine a device loosing partial config during reboots. Especially when performed via GUI. I’ve never had this issue with Asus, Xyzel or Linksys SOHO routers.