XR500 Losing setting after reboot

And i've never seen this issue before on a Nighthawk Pro Gaming router outside of this thread. We need to figure out if this is a hardware problem or a software problem. If it's a hardware problem then you might need to contact NETGEAR about it.

16 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

And i've never seen this issue before on a Nighthawk Pro Gaming router outside of this thread. We need to figure out if this is a hardware problem or a software problem. If it's a hardware problem then you might need to contact NETGEAR about it.

I don't know whether its hardware or the DumaOS. I cant imagine Hardware retaining software config outside RAM. I am available if you need specs/config or some kind log export to review (if possible). 

Well yeah I was wondering if there was a problem with the storage on the router, but if there was a problem with that I assume no firmware at all would be retained.

Maybe it's a situation where we need to completely reinstall everything. The only way I can think of to do that would be to downgrade back to the initial firmware and then upgrade to the most recent firmware again. Not sure if that's worth doing here.

Guest Killhippie
47 minutes ago, peterocc said:

I don't know whether its hardware or the DumaOS. I cant imagine Hardware retaining software config outside RAM. I am available if you need specs/config or some kind log export to review (if possible). 

I have a few routers laying about and they all have kept their settings when not used, there is a capacitor on the board so anything stored in ram or flash NAND should be fine. I would imagine tbh its hardware, as I had a old R7800 and a beta RAX120 (RIP) for a while and they kept their settings for weeks in fact they never they lost them, and even though I have a UPS to power my modem, router and iMac etc i can pull power from the XR500 with no loss of information at all. I would say this is hardware, not DumaOS as the router should also keeps Netgear settings as well. A dodgy capacitor or poor soldering to it would mimic these issues.

24 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Well yeah I was wondering if there was a problem with the storage on the router, but if there was a problem with that I assume no firmware at all would be retained.

Maybe it's a situation where we need to completely reinstall everything. The only way I can think of to do that would be to downgrade back to the initial firmware and then upgrade to the most recent firmware again. Not sure if that's worth doing here.

Not worth doing in my opinion. Having gone through this process the last day and a half... is not enticing. I've half the mind to just chuck it over the railing and get a different router tbh. 

Guest Killhippie
5 minutes ago, peterocc said:

Not worth doing in my opinion. Having gone through this process the last day and a half... is not enticing. I've half the mind to just chuck it over the railing and get a different router tbh. 

Its possible the router has bypassed the startup configuration stored in NVRAM when it loses power as well if there are issues with the configuration register that many routers have, it really does sound like hardware or a power supply issue tbh. Have you tried it on a different power supply?

• Administrators

I would understand if you don't want to but a small video of changing settings, refreshing the interface to show they've applied and then clicking the reboot button and showing what happens afterwards could help us to understand. If not no worries, as KH has said it is most likely a hardware issue as this seems to be an isolated issue - I have not heard of this at all since the launch of the router until this topic, also throughout all the testing I've performed on the router I've never once encountered it myself either. As you were given a review unit I would suggest sending an email to your contact at Netgear and I'm sure they will be happy to replace the router for you.