Hello everyone!

JoshB

New member here from Arkansas in the US.

I first heard about the R1 on twitter from Drift0r and I've been going back and forth about it, so I decided to come here to seek advice from users. I mostly play COD or Destiny on Xbox One or 360, it's a struggle at times because my connection speeds are terrible. I'm stuck with 1.5Mb Down and around .2Mb Up with typically 80-100ms ping on speedtest.net. I know those speeds aren't great and I'm not looking for a miracle here, I'm just wondering if this purchase could help my connection out by keeping the host closer to me. 

I've looked around and seen many people that love the product, but most that I've seen have great connections to start with so any users here with slower connections that can weigh in? Thanks

4432438633.png

• Administrators

Hey Josh, welcome to the forum. Games do not use a lot of bandwidth, however your upload is very close to that threshold. If you were to get our router what you would need to do is give your xbox almost all of your upload bandwidth to ensure if it needs it all, it gets it. Using the Geo-filter to get local hosts would be essential for you to lower your ping and experience better games. Doing this would give you the best chance as possible and you would see an improvement. I'm sure there are others with similar connections that can chime in on their experience :)

That's exactly what I was thinking. The only other usage in my house when I'm gaming is my wife on facebook so I have no problem at all giving my console 100% of the bandwidth lol.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The only other usage in my house when I'm gaming is my wife on facebook so I have no problem at all giving my console 100% of the bandwidth lol.

Currently you can only assign upload bandwidth so unless your wife's uploading pictures she probably won't even notice :;

Josh,

You don't need much bandwidth to play videogames, that being said you are very near the lower limit of not being able to play. Also, your ping is abnormally high. The problem with your internet seems to almost entirely on your ISP. As much as I like the Netduma, I feel that it is honest to tell you that focusing on your router hardware/software won't help this problem much. You need to get a new ISP or upgrade the connection you have. Your ISP is 90% of your problem.

The Netduma R1 will indeed give you greater control over your internet connection. You can block distant hosts, prevent your wife from blowing up your connection on Facebook, and use the QoS to help smooth things out some too. However, it (probably) won't improve your ping much. Got with Netduma if upgrading your connection is not an option.

Yeah that's my biggest issue, I'm stuck with this ISP in my area. My options are this and satellite internet lol. I was just hoping that blocking distant hosts would help somewhat because  in general I can play COD decent enough until I get a host that makes it almost impossible to kill someone even from behind. 

My ISP issue is horrible, they've "oversold" the connections so my bandwidth suffers greatly. And they know the issue is there and said all they can do is not allow any new connections. Said my line can handle twice the bandwidth but because of it being oversold then I'm stuck. 

• Netduma Staff

My connection was never as slow as yours (mine was 5mbps down, 0.3 up) but I kind of understand your position.

As soon as I got the Netduma, I had no lag when congestion control was enabled as my main problem was congestion. But your problem might be your high base ping.

So I think in your case it depends on what is causing you to lag. If your wife is uploading/downloading photos then I would assume this would give you lag spikes. The Netduma should stop this kind of lag. If your connecting to US hosts and getting 200+ms games then the Netduma should stop that also. But your never going to get games below your base ping and as your base ping is quite high, you games will probably never be perfect.

I hope that helps you with your decision :)

I would run a command prompt ping test and tell your wife not to use the connection when you test as website speed tests are not the best way to gauge your ping.

On windows press start > run > type cmd > type in the pop out box    ping 8.8.8.8 -n 25

How to on different os

Thanks. I appreciate all the help.

Typically when I'm gaming I try to make sure that nothing is running at all because I don't need anything hindering my connection. I'm not expecting it to somehow make my connection better, I'm just wondering if it would "help" things by keeping connections closer to me to minimize everything. I'm just trying to find something to help since I'm stuck with this horrible ISP. Hopefully one day another provider will be in my area and I can dump this crap.

• Netduma Staff

Thanks. I appreciate all the help.

Typically when I'm gaming I try to make sure that nothing is running at all because I don't need anything hindering my connection. I'm not expecting it to somehow make my connection better, I'm just wondering if it would "help" things by keeping connections closer to me to minimize everything. I'm just trying to find something to help since I'm stuck with this horrible ISP. Hopefully one day another provider will be in my area and I can dump this crap.

It would help. It can sort out any congestion issues and keep the hosts as close to you as possible. It isn't going to work magic for you I don't think but I think you know that :)

I have never had a connection that slow when using a Netduma but i did have a quite slow adsl before upgrading using the netduma and it stopped my son lagging me out when he was using websites and streaming etc.

I would run a command prompt ping test and tell your wife not to use the connection when you test as website speed tests are not the best way to gauge your ping.

On windows press start > run > type cmd > type in the pop out box    ping 8.8.8.8 -n 25

How to on different os

minimum: 70ms  maximum: 164ms  average 82ms

Yeah my ISP sucks. I called to complain a while back because I was having alot of dropped packets and they wouldn't do anything because "the box is oversold" so that's their only reply to problems. Finally I complained enough and emailed a higher tier tech support and they sent a tech out and found out that one of the lines going in to their building was faulty and as soon as it was cut off my connection leveled out, but it took 2 months of junk internet to get that done.

Some serious jitter there, was this done with no other machines using the net? if so you need to complain to your isp.

A good tool to log problems is ping plotter.

https://www.pingplotter.com/

Add 8.8.8.8 to the trace window and ping for long stretches and save the logs.

Looks like I forgot to turn off wifi so my phone was probably running at the time of the first test, so I turned it off and ran it again and got this. 

minimum 70ms maximum 73ms average 71ms

I downloaded pingplotter and messed around with it some. Set the trace count to 24 and ran it, this is what I got.

Target Name: google-public-dns-a.google.com
         IP: 8.8.8.8
  Date/Time: 6/14/2015 4:03:13 PM to 6/14/2015 4:04:11 PM

Hop Sent Err   PL% Min Max Avg  Host Name / [iP]
 1    24   0   0.0   0   1   0  [192.168.1.2]
 2    24   0   0.0  41  44  42  173-202-83-1.dyn.centurytel.net [173.202.83.1]
 3    24   0   0.0  41  67  43  [162.104.255.252]
 4    24   0   0.0  51  79  57  [206.51.93.232]
 5    24   0   0.0  61  95  64  bb-kscbmonr-jx9-02-xe-11-1-0.core.centurytel.net [206.51.69.18]
 6    24   0   0.0  60 123  65  bb-kscbmonr-jx9-01-ae0.core.centurytel.net [206.51.69.5]
 7    24   0   0.0  67  99  72  bb-dllstx37-jx9-02-xe-11-1-0.core.centurytel.net [206.51.69.25]
 8    24  24 100.0   0   0   0   [-]
 9    24   0   0.0  68 124  74  dax-edge-04.inet.qwest.net [67.14.2.238]
10    24   0   0.0  68  74  70  65-120-128-134.cust.qwest.net [65.120.128.134]
11    24   0   0.0  69  77  70  [209.85.250.121]
12    24   0   0.0  68  70  69  google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Thats better 70 is quite high but it is stable the jitter was from your phone.

The duma will stop network congestion like that when you set up congestion control.

Your ping will still be 70ms but it will not jitter like it does now. when other machines are on the network.

Yeah, I'm hoping someday to have "real" internet like everyone else lol. But up til 4 years ago I was still on dial up, I was thrilled to get DSL for about 2 years, then I wanted more. The struggle of a gamer that lives in the woods I guess.

• Administrators

Hi Josh & welcome to the forum.

As Fraser said you're nearly at min bandwidth you need for gaming, so I'd say that the "device prioritisation" feature will be essential for you. We have a few customers who have connections like yourself, for example Clinton had a nearly identical connection to you.

Finally from a high level overview ping can be seen as:

Ping =  ( base ping ) + ( queuing delay ) + ( time to travel distance to host )

We can minimise the last two terms, but the base ping is entirely dependent on your connection.  BUT the key is you will be used to the other two terms being large so a reduction will make a big difference to you.

For example we have users in NYC who can lobbies with 8ms reguarly whereas we have users in Hawaii who get 60ms. The customers in Hawaii are nearly happier than NYC users because they are used to 120ms+ so 60ms to them feels amazing. However the NYC users would not be happy with 60ms at all.

Anyway hope that helps. If you have any further questions let me know 

Hi Josh & welcome to the forum.

As Fraser said you're nearly at min bandwidth you need for gaming, so I'd say that the "device prioritisation" feature will be essential for you. We have a few customers who have connections like yourself, for example Clinton had a nearly identical connection to you.

Finally from a high level overview ping can be seen as:

Ping =  ( base ping ) + ( queuing delay ) + ( time to travel distance to host )

We can minimise the last two terms, but the base ping is entirely dependent on your connection.  BUT the key is you will be used to the other two terms being large so a reduction will make a big difference to you.

For example we have users in NYC who can lobbies with 8ms reguarly whereas we have users in Hawaii who get 60ms. The customers in Hawaii are nearly happier than NYC users because they are used to 120ms+ so 60ms to them feels amazing. However the NYC users would not be happy with 60ms at all.

Anyway hope that helps. If you have any further questions let me know 

Yeah that's kind of how I was thinking. I've been playing COD for a few years now on this connection so I'm quite used to it in general, so I was thinking that keeping the host closer to me then I would have a better experience. Typically I can play decent for a few matches then suddenly get the most awful game where I can't kill. COD is very frustrating for that because of the speed, but Destiny is horrible on my connection. I usually shoot a guy then watch him kill me only to have him fall dead from my shot 3 seconds later. 

In short I have played pretty happily with my ping overall once you take out those games where I assume the host is far from me. So in my mind alot of my frustration could be solved by this router. From the replies I've gotten it seems like my thoughts were pretty close to reality so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and give it a shot. Thanks for the replies everyone!

• 1 month later...

Well life happened and I had to put my plans on hold for a while but I just placed my order! I'm excited to get it in and play with it some.

How's the wireless signal on it? Currently I'm using an old netgear N600, only phones and tablets on wireless. All gaming systems and my tv setup are wired. Running 2 Western Digital Live Streaming boxes to tvs and watch tv shows from episodes on pc. Really only need enough signal for the wife's phone to use facebook lol. 

Archived