iAmMoDBoX

I no longer reply to ignorant people who don't understand that this thread is about how modems work with the Netduma, not how the modem works on it's own. What good is a modem that has 1 ms less jitter but breaks features on our router? If anyone is looking to buy a cable modem and wants to guarantee the best gaming experience, don't listen to what other people have posted here. Refer to the first post in this thread.

If anyone wants to find out how bad their modem really is, just go to this website - http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6, let it find a server closest to you, then when your line is idle and no one is using it, hit start. It will ping a server in rapid succession. If you see any RED appear in the results, the modem you're using is affected by a bad chipset design. You will have issues playing any online game. 

Don't test just once though. Test a couple times and enter different server numbers in the Server box. Sometimes the server it chose to use has issues. 

This is a photo of both the bad and good results:

1498220913-U1511.jpg

You shouldn't see any RED

If you only see a couple dots of RED then try a different server. 

This is a photo of my TP Link TC-7610 modem test results:

1498221123-U1511.jpg

The puma 6 test is for Intel Puma 6 based modems:

https://www.dslreports.com/testsearch?fy=1999&q=puma6&ty=2016&typ=hardware

It's only the problem of the Intel puma 6 based modems that this problem exists. 

All other non-Intel based modems will and or should be green of course. 

The puma 6 test is for Intel Puma 6 based modems:

https://www.dslreports.com/testsearch?fy=1999&q=puma6&ty=2016&typ=hardware

It's only the problem of the Intel puma 6 based modems that this problem exists.

All other non-Intel based modems will and or should be green of course.

Yes it was designed with Puma 6 chipsets in mind but you can run it with any modem.

I run it with every modem i have and if I see red consistently then i replace the modem because it obviously has a problem.

Just because some modems don't have the Puma 6 chipset doesn't mean that it will pass the test.

May also be a ISP service issue as well. Not only a modem issue if red shows up.

True.

If i get all green with one modem then switch to another and rerun the test, it should be green as well. If not, the modem is bad.

Of course you must restart all equipment before testing the new modem.

Yep. ISP signal is important for sure. People sometimes fail and over look this and don't see pass the router or modem and blame those items mostly when troubleshooting. ISP signal should be check always first off. Then go from there. 

I believe the TC-7610 will work just fine for those speeds. I'd check with your ISP to ensure it's fully supported.

Ensure your signals are good for any mode you get connected.

Even the Most 8x4 modems can handle up to 300Mb each way. Beyond that you'll need a 16x4 modem and upwards if your isp speeds get faster then 300Mb. The Arris 6183 is 16x4 along with the TC-7620 and Motorola's MB7420.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/20681-compatibleincompatible-modems/page-5?do=findComment&comment=151622

Keep away from the Arris SB6190 and any Intel based modem.
There's a list here to be aware of:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31134484-

I've done my own testing with the R1 and Motorola's SB6121, 6180 and Arris 6183 work just fine with the R1 router. If your ISP supports TPLink, then by all means check it out. I won't be biased against it as others may think. :D

Any advice on a good modem for Xfinity with 200mbs download. I see the to link 7610 is only 150 mbps for cable. Or is the 7610 still better than what else is out there

Any advice on a good modem for Xfinity with 200mbs download. I see the to link 7610 is only 150 mbps for cable. Or is the 7610 still better than what else is out there?

I've have the 7610 and can get 240 down easily.

It will work fine for you.

Any advice on a good modem for Xfinity with 200mbs download. I see the to link 7610 is only 150 mbps for cable. Or is the 7610 still better than what else is out there?

I use the 7610 on Comcast with those speeds fine. I wouldn't go with any other modem.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I agree with bimmer but keep. In mind if you do go with an 8x4 modem and have speed bandwidth issues your isp will blame your modem even if they are at fault.

This a interesting list... Im not sure I follow all the reasoning. Im fairly deep on this subject. Your aware right that inside these various modems the modem mfgr literally uses the same components exactly so each modem makers easily passes DOCSIS certification ? Each chip, like the Broadcom 3390, has virtually the same parts no matter who makes the modem ? The changes in firmware modem maker to modem maker never ever involves changes to the chip drivers so they all perform the same way. I know this because ive done A LOT of performance testing.

In general, for gaming, almost any Broadcom based device is going to perform exactly the same no matter whos name is on the box because the electronics inside are the same.

As you have rightly called out. The Intel chip is where the trouble lies. Also the TI Puma 5 before it is also a slight issue. So the Puma 5/6/7 should be completely discarded and avoided for gaming.

Broadcom in all models will work pretty much exactly the same.

Whats FAR more of a issue for gamers is wifi. Wifi is horrendous for gaming. Its far more important to PLUG IN A WIRE then worry about what broadcom modem your on.

In general for latency, more channels is better. So a gamer wants a DOCSIS 3.1 modem like the CM1000 or SB8200 etc.. Also consumer routers all pretty much suck, so getting a Mikrotik or Ubuqiti is a good move. However these routers require config and skillz to master them. Every network should consist of 4 things.

1 Modem

2. Router

3 PoE Switch

4 Access Point powered by PoE switch

A router today should be able to use port aggragation ( more then one WAN port tied together ) so you can reach speeds beyond 1Gbps. The router should also be capable of sustaining 1Gbps thru NAT and Firewall even with small packets. A million packets per second is a reasonable minimum target. No consumer routers can do that performance. You need a multicore CPU in a router to do that. The wifi point should be a low latency 802.11AC wave 2 device.

The best way to do all this the best way on earth currently is  IMHO:

SB8200 or any Broadcom 3390 based modem with 2 ports

https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1072-1G-8Splus stuffed with 2 SFP modules for gigabit ethernet in port aggregation for the modems dule ports

a SFP+ Direct Connect cable to a SFP+ Netgear switch

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/managed/m4200.aspx

a access point from Aruba http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/802-11ac/

Also think 10Gbps. Not for the speed, but for the lowered latency.

The above is like $7K. I install these setups in homes. I have gamer clients. I know what im talking about. You can get a budget version for like $1K or even maybe $500. My point is that focusing on the modem as the only weak point is missing a lot of other issues.

Mikrotik makes great REALLY affordable routers. Get one. Ubiquiti makes affordable access points that are low latency. BUT PLUG IN A WIRE IF YOU GAME..

Multigig is about to become a reality this year in a lot of major cities. So this requires a much higher level of network performance that no consumer router can currently do.

For gaming, a broadcom modem like even a SB6183 + a basic Mikrotik router https://mikrotik.com/product/RB2011UiAS-2HnD-INand a plugged in computer will provide killer low latency. This wont do real life speeds over 300-400mbps, but, will provide great latency and a solid 300-400 Mbps all the time.

I assume that since the NetDuma is based on Mikrotik, that maybe, whatever settings or firmware used in the Mikrotik being rebranded by Netduma could also be used on the more powerful routers ?

Im also a bit confuzed. Whats the difference between the Mikrotik and the Netduma rebranding ?

The router the Netduma is based on is single core and pretty dated now. Its for sure not capable of gigabit speeds and with 64byte packets can only do 32Mbps. https://mikrotik.com/product/RB951G-2HnD

I would think that you guys could do whatever settings your doing to any mikrotik router and off better performance devices ?

I would be interested if you could stuff your tweaks into a cloud core router. ANY router now for consumer use needs to do 2Gbps with NAT and Firewall as a design requirement, even with all your tweaks turned on with small packets ( DNS ). This means SFP+ on the LAN side and/or port aggregation on the WAN/LAN sides.

Multigig is here. Its time to step up to the plate with a router for that use.

I believe the HW maybe the same as MT however NetDuma has compiled and developed there own SW for it. Developed mostly around regional gaming controls and controlling how gamers connect to others, servers and ping and latency environments. Fairly complex imo. There developing the next OS and is currently in beta. Ya, since the hw and ports on most routers today are only 1gb supporting. Home class routers will need the ~10gb hw approval and included in all of the next generation hw. We're hitting the ceiling withnwhat we have now. Will be interesting to see what comes up past 1gb.

Its *possible* to develop firmware, but more likely its a good set of configuration settings. RouterOS is very configurable and could do everything listed by NetDuma with just clever config.

That DOES NOT TAKE AWAY FROM ITS USEFULNESS. and a good router setup is tricky so no doubt hard to develop.

If its a RouterOS config tho, it could literally be just loaded into ANY Mikrotik router. Thats REALLY powerful as you could apply the same Netduma skillz to a 72 core $3000 router.

Cox in my area plans 2 Gbps by the end of 2018. 1Gbps in the next few months.

Its *possible* to develop firmware, but more likely its a good set of configuration settings. RouterOS is very configurable and could do everything listed by NetDuma with just clever config.

That DOES NOT TAKE AWAY FROM ITS USEFULNESS. and a good router setup is tricky so no doubt hard to develop.

If its a RouterOS config tho, it could literally be just loaded into ANY Mikrotik router. Thats REALLY powerful as you could apply the same Netduma skillz to a 72 core $3000 router.

Cox in my area plans 2 Gbps by the end of 2018. 1Gbps in the next few months.

They made their own firmware which is lightly based on an older OpenWRT build, not the Mikrotik Router OS.

They made their own firmware which is lightly based on an older OpenWRT build, not the Mikrotik Router OS.

awwww... I was hoping to get NetDuma in a multicore router :(

Im not sure you really need firmware to do the things it can do.

So that also means they are locked into that hardware. Awwww...

You know. That has to change actually. Multigig is here. That hardware wont do it.

Hmm.. I see OpenWRT supports that Mikrotik product.. https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/mikrotik/mikrotik_rb951g-2hndBut OpenWRT is not supported on any of the modern Mikrotik platforms that are multicore.

Well... and this is important.. Gaming is really not about bandwidth, its all about latency. So a gamer really should not need speed. So the NetDuma should be fine as long as you dont do other things while gaming.

The Ubiquity might be a good platform as its opensource and is OK powerful.

But change needs to occur in the NetDuma, its a multigig world now and you need at least 1M pps. maybe 10M.

I have the SB6190 with the N firmware.

Anyone want me to test something let me know, I can say that the netduma router works as it should with the SB6190. I have also tested the router with two other cable modems.