Should I disable wifi from my main router, and use the r1's instead?

TheAnonAlly

Hi, so I just got my netduma, (mainly for cod iw and its insane packet loss / spikes) I went through the setup and all, and looked online to understand the misc settings. (I have a router by the way, and i plugged an ethernet cord in from that to the netduma) I have 100 down, 10 up, w/ Rogers Cable in Ontario, Canada. I've linked screenshots of my misc settings here: http://imgur.com/a/9EplW I then went to host filtering, did 30 ping and about 1500km, and found a match. It was amazing, now packet loss symbol at all. (The only device connected to my internet at the time was my computer and iphone, both of which werent being used, and i also had the device prioritization on 80 for my ps4) I played about 5-6 games with no lag, and the very rare lag spike. Throughout the day i tried several other settings to try and fine tune the settings as best as possible, but now im constantly getting the packet loss symbol in game and im skipping a little less than i used to without the net duma. I did a factory reset and used the original settings i used before, but same thing. The thing is, im using the original main router for everyones wifi in my house, instead of the net dumas wifi. So i assume that would mean the network speeds are being shared over these two routers, (they arent bridged, i tried to bridge earlier and nothing worked, so i had to factory reset my main router) and i  may be getting slower speeds on the duma, and it cant use the congestion control properly because the bandwidths too high? Is the solution to simply connect all devices and see what the game is like afterwards? I figured i would post this here incasethere could be other problems. Thanks! (cc was capped at 70 for the successful tests, reactive)

your main router is it a modem/router or a router connected to a seperate modem? 

If it is a router then make sure the netduma is connected to the modem and the router connected to the duma.

if it is a modem router then connect the duma as you have already by ethernet and disable all wifi functions and have everything connected to the duma.

although the 56hz wifi is much faster than 2.4 it has far less range. So just use the 2.4ghz on the duma and all your devices are running through the duma and you will be fine.

your main router is it a modem/router or a router connected to a seperate modem? 

If it is a router then make sure the netduma is connected to the modem and the router connected to the duma.

if it is a modem router then connect the duma as you have already by ethernet and disable all wifi functions and have everything connected to the duma.

although the 56hz wifi is much faster than 2.4 it has far less range. So just use the 2.4ghz on the duma and all your devices are running through the duma and you will be fine.

Will do! I'll post back with the results. Thanks.

First, if you're getting packet loss that needs to be fixed from your ISP. That's not something a router can fix, unless it was a bad ethernet cable or broken router and you're replacing it.

You can run a program on your wired PC called PingPlotter. This will ping any IP address or website you want and measure your ping, jitter, and packet loss. Or another good test is smokeping on https://www.dslreports.com/smokeping

Second, the ideal setup is to use a bridged modem so this way all your internet traffic passes through the Netduma so you can make use of the congestion control feature.

I'm currently on Comcast with 240 down and only 10 up like you. The download is fine, and I can have multiple people streaming without a problem... But with only 10 up, if someone sends a small video as an email attachment I instantly begin to lag. This is where congestion control helps big time. So if someone was connecting to your ISP's router wifi which bypasses congestion control on the Netduma then it could make you lag in game.... But, if you're saying you keep getting packet loss, then you need to have your ISP check your connection.

One other side note, if you absolutely need faster wifi than the Netduma can provide you can use a 2nd router with 5ghz AC wifi as an access point.

i have my own modem, my duma is connect to the modem and my nighthawk x8 is connected to my duma. My X8 is for the whole household and my ps4 and pc are connected to my duma by ethernet. Therefore all devices run through the duma which is the optimal configuration or the duma cannot control all devices which it needs to do.

First, if you're getting packet loss that needs to be fixed from your ISP. That's not something a router can fix, unless it was a bad ethernet cable or broken router and you're replacing it.

You can run a program on your wired PC called PingPlotter. This will ping any IP address or website you want and measure your ping, jitter, and packet loss. Or another good test is smokeping on https://www.dslreports.com/smokeping

Second, the ideal setup is to use a bridged modem so this way all your internet traffic passes through the Netduma so you can make use of the congestion control feature.

I'm currently on Comcast with 240 down and only 10 up like you. The download is fine, and I can have multiple people streaming without a problem... But with only 10 up, if someone sends a small video as an email attachment I instantly begin to lag. This is where congestion control helps big time. So if someone was connecting to your ISP's router wifi which bypasses congestion control on the Netduma then it could make you lag in game.... But, if you're saying you keep getting packet loss, then you need to have your ISP check your connection.

One other side note, if you absolutely need faster wifi than the Netduma can provide you can use a 2nd router with 5ghz AC wifi as an access point.

I've contacted by ISP 3 times in the last two weeks, -'d they've done tests for packet loss each time, told me there was nothing wrong with the signal or anything. I'm pretty sure it's IW's netcode, as many people have been complaining as of late about it. Also, all cords are new, also the router is their latest version, got it last week. So I guess it's just the terrible servers causing my packet loss, I believe it happens to my isp the most, from what I've seen on twitter at least. Will try connecting everything when I'm up, and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

I've contacted by ISP 3 times in the last two weeks, -'d they've done tests for packet loss each time, told me there was nothing wrong with the signal or anything. I'm pretty sure it's IW's netcode, as many people have been complaining as of late about it. Also, all cords are new, also the router is their latest version, got it last week. So I guess it's just the terrible idea servers causing my packet loss, I believe it happens to my isp the most, from what I've seen on twitter at least. Will try connecting everything when I'm up, and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

An ISP will NEVER blame themselves for your problems lol trust me... This is what Comcast told me was perfectly fine and no problems on their end...

The red is packet loss over 12 hours...

423a60e354184c85882f3cc6f0e4e157.png

And this was my ping to a COD server over 12 hours...

26d98c10c81b4ee58c0eba125450ec99.png

So if you want any kind of results you need to first figure out what the problem is, the game or your ISP. If it is your ISP then you need loads and loads of proof to show them and get them working on the problem.

An ISP will NEVER blame themselves for your problems lol trust me... This is what Comcast told me was perfectly fine and no problems on their end...

The red is packet loss over 12 hours...

423a60e354184c85882f3cc6f0e4e157.png

And this was my ping to a COD server over 12 hours...

26d98c10c81b4ee58c0eba125450ec99.png

So if you want any kind of results you need to first figure out what the problem is, the game or your ISP. If it is your ISP then you need loads and loads of proof to show them and get them working on the problem.

Good point. Will run some pingplotter tests throughout the day and come back with results

Good point. Will run some pingplotter tests throughout the day and come back with results

That second graph actually got a BO3 developer to contact me directly because it stirred up so much buzz on their reddit page and we figured out it was on my ISP's end not their end. I thank him for that and for providing me with detailed proof of it from his end as well.

If you need help with Pingplotter post back here. Make sure you run the test with a wired PC and also go for a full day if possible. I keep mine going 24/7/365 now just to keep monitoring my connection lol

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

With the way you have it setup currently you won't be able to use congestion control so the other devices in your home will be able to cause you to lag. So would recommend what others have said and connect all devices to the R1.

Would also be worth doing PingPlotter tests to see what the quality of your line is like. You should do this direct from the ISP modem/router and when no one is using the internet if possible.

Would just agree with what the others said, if your experiencing packet loss, that's not gonna be caused by a server but a more likely culprit would be your ISP.

And as MoD said there not going to admit to any fault without a ton of data from you showing the issue is on their end not yours.

Definitely download and run PP and post the graphs back here so we can help pinpoint the issue and get you on the right track to solve your issue.

And I have the same set up as Big Dog and it works great, best of both worlds 5g wifi speeds for the rest of your house and you have your console and laptop for gaming hard wired to the duma so you can use all it's features.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

With the way you have it setup currently you won't be able to use congestion control so the other devices in your home will be able to cause you to lag. So would recommend what others have said and connect all devices to the R1.

Would also be worth doing PingPlotter tests to see what the quality of your line is like. You should do this direct from the ISP modem/router and when no one is using the internet if possible.Connected everything, and did as you said, heres the results over 1 hour https://share.pingplotter.com/D3H47Xym6Tk https://share.pingplotter.com/3eEYG2ozD6z https://share.pingplotter.com/CpSWHNKiwS7 https://share.pingplotter.com/bQ4tr14WxhY https://share.pingplotter.com/FhsgqtTb3sW

heres the results over 1 hour 

https://share.pingplotter.com/D3H47Xym6Tk

https://share.pingplotter.com/3eEYG2ozD6z

https://share.pingplotter.com/CpSWHNKiwS7

https://share.pingplotter.com/bQ4tr14WxhY

https://share.pingplotter.com/FhsgqtTb3sW

Edited by Netduma Fraser
Fixed links

Hi I believe you can use two routers at once, but you have disable DHCP on the slave router so it can not generate any new Ips so that it can not conflict. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/2/2017 at 12:15 AM, BIG__DOG said:

i have my own modem, my duma is connect to the modem and my nighthawk x8 is connected to my duma. My X8 is for the whole household and my ps4 and pc are connected to my duma by ethernet. Therefore all devices run through the duma which is the optimal configuration or the duma cannot control all devices which it needs to do.

Hey sir I’m new here but I’ve had my netduma r1 and u have the same nighthawk x8 but I tried to connect my 1000 mgb internet modem arries sbb8200 into the Duma then to my nighthawk but then it won’t have any internet WiFi coming from my nighthawk weird I know. But if I do it reverse it works but I’m getting like a quarter of my speeds . If needed can you email me [email protected] wanted to play black ops 4 tonight 

Edited by Carbonghost

7 hours ago, Carbonghost said:

Hey sir I’m new here but I’ve had my netduma r1 and u have the same nighthawk x8 but I tried to connect my 1000 mgb internet modem arries sbb8200 into the Duma then to my nighthawk but then it won’t have any internet WiFi coming from my nighthawk weird I know. But if I do it reverse it works but I’m getting like a quarter of my speeds . If needed can you email me [email protected] wanted to play black ops 4 tonight 

if you connect your R1 directly to your arris modem without the X8 do you get internet access and do you get good speeds? Please note that the R1 cannot handle full gigabit speeds, it can manage a maximum of 800mbps.

I’m barley getting 280 mgb. If I go straight from arries to netduma .i mean if I could get it to 500 thru there I’d be happy but it seems to weaken the nighthawk when hooked form modem to Duma then to night hawk. What’s the Settings do I need to have to have the net Dumas fully open a high-speed do I have a have a open net type or port forwarding or just super mode or noth super modes ?

Ok should I use the port forwarding or whatever to make open nat  type for black ops 4. Also should I say my max download it 800 ish since I have the gigablast which this product cancel do. So lower it to 800 . Hell I’d love it if I was getting 500ish but I’m getting 280 ish. And seemed to reduce my download bad like I’m supposed to get 36-40 download but shows thru ps4 NOW 1-2 megabytes.but when I run a WiFi thru my nighthawk x8 shows corrrect upload 36-40 ? Confused something is slowing down speeds thru netduma r1🤷🏽‍♂️

• Administrators

It doesn't matter what you input into QoS as disabling it will render that unneccessary anyway. Yes you might as well turn WiFi off as well. You've got an open NAT on the console which is the main thing so up to you if you want to use port forwarding to try and open the in game NAT reading.