PS4 Fifa 17 sluggish gameplay/input delay

still been appalling on weekend league, did a trace to easo.ea.com and got these results 

Host Name                                   IP Address        Hop    Ping Time   Ping Avg   % Loss    Pkts r/s   Ping best/worst

R1.lan                                      192.168.88.1      1      0ms         0ms        0%        101 / 101  0ms / 4ms

* Unknown Host *                            10.147.40.1       2      7ms                    100%      0 / 101

pres-core-2a-xe-231-0.network.virginmedia.ne62.255.6.185      3      8ms         9ms        0%        101 / 101  7ms / 31ms

* Unknown Host *                            0.0.0.0           4      0ms

* Unknown Host *                            0.0.0.0           5      0ms

* Unknown Host *                            0.0.0.0           6      0ms

* Unknown Host *                            0.0.0.0           7      0ms

* Unknown Host *                            0.0.0.0           8      0ms

tclo-ic-3-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net     212.250.25.62     9      18ms        16ms       0%        101 / 101  15ms / 28ms

akamai.prolexic.com                         195.66.224.31     10     24ms                   100%      0 / 101

unknown.prolexic.com                        72.52.60.200      11     23ms        24ms       0%        101 / 101  22ms / 35ms

unknown.prolexic.com                        72.52.60.207      12     21ms        20ms       0%        101 / 101  19ms / 30ms

* Unknown Host *                            93.191.173.48     13     114ms                  100%      0 / 100

unknown.prolexic.com                        209.200.168.132   14     112ms       113ms      0%        100 / 100  111ms / 127ms

* Unknown Host *                            159.153.93.2      15     112ms                  100%      0 / 100

* Unknown Host *                            159.153.225.65    16     116ms       116ms      0%        100 / 100  114ms / 127ms

fert01.abn-iad.ea.com                       159.153.226.65    17     113ms                  100%      0 / 100

I don't know if it is true, but the EA Support told me that this one is not used for gaming-traffic. They said it's just used for the connection troubleshooting steps, to let the people make tracerouts to one of their servers.

Would be good to know the actual server I'm connecting to when my game boots up.

In my experience with the game on the PS4, I have noticed the button delay and sluggish gameplay is more prevalent on the weekends. So it leads me to believe that its the EA servers being really bad. Furthermore the game uses a ELO system so that you are matched with players with similar skill level (smaller player pool), couple this with the fact that the game will match you against a player anywhere in the world just compounds the issue.

The geo filter can alleviate some issues with the matchmaking, however you may have to wait a while to find an opponent and then you still can experience sluggishness due to poor lag compensation implementation. 

Another thing you could try is the new version of PS4 controllers (the light bar is also on the touchpad on these), these controllers allow you to charge and send button inputs through the charger cable, unlike the original PS4 controller, which could only charge and you would still be playing via bluetooth. Just make sure to go to settings>devices and change the the connection type of the PS4 controller to USB instead of bluetooth (you can still use the controller wirelessly if you wish but some additional features may be disabled).

This may solve some of the button delay you are experiencing. 

In my experience with the game on the PS4, I have noticed the button delay and sluggish gameplay is more prevalent on the weekends. So it leads me to believe that its the EA servers being really bad. Furthermore the game uses a ELO system so that you are matched with players with similar skill level (smaller player pool), couple this with the fact that the game will match you against a player anywhere in the world just compounds the issue.

The geo filter can alleviate some issues with the matchmaking, however you may have to wait a while to find an opponent and then you still can experience sluggishness due to poor lag compensation implementation. 

Another thing you could try is the new version of PS4 controllers (the light bar is also on the touchpad on these), these controllers allow you to charge and send button inputs through the charger cable, unlike the original PS4 controller, which could only charge and you would still be playing via bluetooth. Just make sure to go to settings>devices and change the the connection type of the PS4 controller to USB instead of bluetooth (you can still use the controller wirelessly if you wish but some additional features may be disabled).

This may solve some of the button delay you are experiencing. 

Thanks for your tips.

I already have this controllers and set them up properly. I just bought them because of this game.

I have to admit I also bought the Netduma only because of my problems with Fifa.

It is already embarrassing how much money I spent to change my equipment only because of this game.

I know that the Netduma is working fantastic. I experienced it in any other game. 

It is so strange for me that people have different experiences with the gameplay and mine is always same crap.

I mean there are times that it is slightly better, but never had one day that I could say "today was good".

And this is since the end of December. 

Before that day, I really played it everyday and everyday was perfect gameplay. I mean occasional network lags but I didn`t have a Netduma at this time :-)

And then, from one day to another the game went to crap for me. For me it doesn`t matter what time I play it or what day I play it or if I play p2p or on dedicated servers.

I do get matched up with people near my distance and the ping is always good but it doesn`t make a difference how the game feels.

It is so frustrating to me that I just can`t leave it and play other games but I know how good the game can be if it works properly.

Sorry for my bad english.

Unfortunately it is the game that is the issue, I have occasionally had the same problems with the game myself, however I am still managing a 5 win to loss ratio on FIFA, so its not too bad for me. I would recommend turning off the music in the audio section in settings (just move the slider to 0), also if you go into the online settings and then to matchmaking options you can turn on (or off) the 'approximate matchmaking location' try both settings to see if this helps. 

In honesty, the Netduma is great at what it does which is to minimise any delay/lag on your local network, however it cannot make up for poor game design, netcode and some matchmaking systems. Black ops 3 was amazing for me for the first 3 months, I was holding close to a 4 k/d on it, but they done something in a patch and from then on I was struggling to compete with players who had k/d ratios below 1 (settings remained the same on my side). Even now infinite warfare is garbage on my connection but Titanfall 2 runs flawlessly for me, so game design is where I believe the issue really lies if you have done everything right on your side. 

• Administrators

Hi, is there any news about the mislocated servers?

Sorry to ask again but I got a little improvement by blocking some servers.

That's good to hear! I'm waiting for a Dev to help with something that's preventing me do it so will move as soon as possible.

• Administrators

I'm happy to try a 1 on 1 but it does look like you have a good ping. Post in the 1 on 1 section: http://forum.netduma.com/forum/66-request-1-on-1/and I will have a look. Please note I need around a days notice.

Please read this first before making the post: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/11450-read-before-posting-a-1-on-1-request/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I was hoping that somebody could have a look over this pingplotter test.

The IP supposed to be a game server according to another forum.

Is there anything suspicious?

I don`t know if it´s ok or if there maybe is something I can confront my ISP with.

Thank you

1491292049-U11953.png

Looks normal apart from the odd spike but that could be your ISP, you would need to post a picture of a line test to twitter.com also for reference.

So this proves its either your modem or the ISP, I see you have a Fritzbox, do you have another modem to test the line with?

I say this as some modem/routers have CPU or firmware bugs that cause this.

You would have judder (Cod etc) or input delay as you call it (fifa) when the spikes occur, your packets are taking longer to send and receive in that moment.

I don't have another modem to test.

This is my own modem, not rented from the Cable ISP.

As far as I know, they have 3 different modems which they provide:

-Technicolor TC 7200,

-Fritzbox 6490

-Connect Box.

I would rent one of their's or buy another if this would solve the problem.

I don't know if all the cable modems can be used with my ISP (Unitymedia)

Is the whole test showing bad results or only the part with the big spikes?

Because a match of Fifa is 2x 6 minutes and I get this judder/delay the entire match and not only at certain points of the match.

I have to add, that I just started to play FPS games. I couldn't play this Fifa because of the delay.

I never get bad gameplay in Bf1, IW or MWR.

How can that be, that it doesn't happen in this games?

Ok. Thanks for that.

The fact that others don't have issues or just minor issues makes me wonder why I get this and why other games are fine.

Even 2 friends with the same isp who live nearby, don't get this.

I think I have to give up with this game. Makes me big headaches.

Don't know what else to test or to do.

Thank you all for your replies.

I reset my allow/blocked servers on the geo filter... What I don't get is that the weekend league servers all show in US (yes I know they are mislocated) but some it will not connect to as the warning icon shows up but other times it's will connect to the server even though I have not allowed it to.

Confuses me greatly.

New ISP (VM to TalkTalk) next month so hopefully that will improve anything for me

I also noticed the same sometimes.

When I clicked on the server in the geo filter I noticed that sometimes it had different IDs but was showing up on the exact same place.

When I start the game it is always connecting to a server on the west coast (on the map) It shows a ping around 120ms.

For me that means, I'm always connected to a server with a high ping, to sync my profile and other general stuff.

When I start a weekend League match, I connect to different servers with much lower ping. 25ms-50ms depends on which server. Many different IDs but always same place on the map.

• Administrators

I reset my allow/blocked servers on the geo filter... What I don't get is that the weekend league servers all show in US (yes I know they are mislocated) but some it will not connect to as the warning icon shows up but other times it's will connect to the server even though I have not allowed it to.

Confuses me greatly.

New ISP (VM to TalkTalk) next month so hopefully that will improve anything for me

Do you have strict mode off or ping assist on?