TWC to Spectrum

Hey guys, have a weird problem that hopefully you can help me with.  I've had my Netduma from shortly after it came out, and have had it set up for the 20 Mbps or 30 Mbps that I've had with Time Warner Cable.  I mainly game on Xbox One and play Call of Duty.  Everything has been great. 

Well, TWC has switched to Spectrum, and now the speed I'm supposed to be getting is 60 Mbps.  Problem is, when I go do a speedtest on my computer (wireless), it has been showing low inconsistent numbers.  Like it'll say my download speed is 8 sometimes, or 15, or sometimes it'll say 30.  But it is inconsistent, and it has never said anything higher than 35 or so.  Before I switched, it would almost always be right around the advertised 30 Mbps that I was paying for. 

Now, when I do the speedtest on my Xbox One(wired)...it says 68 Mbps or 69Mbps...Which is more like it!  That leads me to think something is wrong or set up incorrectly on my router.  

So my question is, what do I need to do to get that speed to my wireless devices?  And, What are the things I'm supposed to switch on the router settings now for optimum gaming?...with the speed jump I made from 30mbps to 60mbps. 

Thanks. 

• Netduma Staff

Hey guys, have a weird problem that hopefully you can help me with.  I've had my Netduma from shortly after it came out, and have had it set up for the 20 Mbps or 30 Mbps that I've had with Time Warner Cable.  I mainly game on Xbox One and play Call of Duty.  Everything has been great. 

Well, TWC has switched to Spectrum, and now the speed I'm supposed to be getting is 60 Mbps.  Problem is, when I go do a speedtest on my computer (wireless), it has been showing low inconsistent numbers.  Like it'll say my download speed is 8 sometimes, or 15, or sometimes it'll say 30.  But it is inconsistent, and it has never said anything higher than 35 or so.  Before I switched, it would almost always be right around the advertised 30 Mbps that I was paying for. 

Now, when I do the speedtest on my Xbox One(wired)...it says 68 Mbps or 69Mbps...Which is more like it!  That leads me to think something is wrong or set up incorrectly on my router.  

So my question is, what do I need to do to get that speed to my wireless devices?  And, What are the things I'm supposed to switch on the router settings now for optimum gaming?...with the speed jump I made from 30mbps to 60mbps. 

Thanks. 

Please make sure you're using these settings for your speed.

- Reactive Algorithm
- 100% anti-flood
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
- Disable deep packet in misc

Hopefully Fazor,you have better luck with Charter / Spectrum than I do, the speeds are fine but in my neck of the woods they suffer from severe node overload as it's cable and it's oversold in most areas.I hope this isn't the situation with you and it could be just in my area but a line full of jitter is not much fun for gaming.I would (if you haven't already) swap out the modem from them as they are usually poor quality at least in my experience with ISP's.

If you start seeing odd things go on with your network and run ping plotter to check your line as you are now connected to all your neighbors and their networks,TV's etc.

But like I said hopefully it's just in my area not nationwide.

Hey. I live in MI and Chater is the worst internet provider in here. I was with Comcast for years but i moved to other area where only Chater cover this area. I upgraded my internet speed to 100D and 5U and it was so stupid idea. i was getting 90D and 4U. So i decided to go back to normal speed. new with my new modem I'm getting 65D and 6U. if you have the Motoral modem return it to them and they will give the new modem which is Cisco. it is much better and faster. also they will change it for free.

Hey Netduma Jack, I followed your instructions,  Thank you, quick question though...why disable IPv6?  And why disable deep packet?  Just curious as I haven't done that before.

Zennon...should I set my new speed to 68 MBPS since that's what I'm getting for speeds on my xbox?  or should I just do 60? 

Fuzzy...I use my own modem...motorola surfboard sb6141...but i did see the option to use theirs for free.  But I think that has a router in it too, so I didn't want to do that.  I'm in Wisconsin so I might experience the same as you, but so far infinite warfare has been pretty good for me.  BO3 was the worst of the CODs for me so far. 

But I really don't understand why my xbox speed says 68 consistently and my computer says like 32 ish.  I know wired is faster, but that's more than half the speed difference. 

Any other suggestions?   Thanks for the help guys. 

Zennon...should I set my new speed to 68 MBPS since that's what I'm getting for speeds on my xbox?  or should I just do 60? 

You should set it to the maximum you receive so 68, yes sorry I wrote 60 in an earlier post by mistake.

• Netduma Staff

Hey Netduma Jack, I followed your instructions,  Thank you, quick question though...why disable IPv6?  And why disable deep packet?  Just curious as I haven't done that before. 

Hey Fazor; we recommend that since most people are on IPv4 so enabling IPv6 can cause issues (such as speed loss) and Deep Packet Processing is mostly for PC games as far as I know, and can also cause speed drops if it's enabled when it isn't needed.

Fuzzy...I use my own modem...motorola surfboard sb6141...but i did see the option to use theirs for free.  But I think that has a router in it too, so I didn't want to do that.  I'm in Wisconsin so I might experience the same as you, but so far infinite warfare has been pretty good for me.  BO3 was the worst of the CODs for me so far. 

But I really don't understand why my xbox speed says 68 consistently and my computer says like 32 ish.  I know wired is faster, but that's more than half the speed difference. 

Any other suggestions?   Thanks for the help guys. 

Yeah good call on getting your own modem and I hope your service is better than what we get here, best go luck

Please make sure you're using these settings for your speed.

- Reactive Algorithm
- 100% anti-flood
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
- Disable deep packet in misc

Hey Netduma Jack. I too had the same problem as this guy. I did all the above and good now. One question after speed test do I leave the ipv6 off and deep packet unticked or do I go back and turn them back on. I mainly play cod and Ive been having major issues with the game with lag comp so I'm trying to get every setting correct. Thanks!

Definitely leave Ipv6 off and Deep packet unticked.

FYI:

Only enable IPv6 if your isp has IPv6 enabled.

Only enable deep packet processing if you are using the preemptive algorithm and primarily pc game. Not needed for console gaming because their packets are encrypted.