PS4 Works with R1, XBox One Does Not. Help!

JConnor

I recently received the Netduma R1 and have it setup (below). It works great with the PS4, but when trying to login to Xbox Live, it always times out.

Here are the relevant facts:

-ISP -- Time Warner Cable (US)

-Arris TG852 (TW provided Router / Modem)

-Netduma R1

I have it set up as follows:

Arris TG852 ---> Netduma R1 ---> PS4, XB1, PC.

When I use the R1 when Geo Filtering games for CoD: Advanced Warfare on the PS4, everything runs flawlessly.

However, when I try and log onto XB Live from within the AW menu, it times out and says, "The CoD Service is not available at this time". 

The current settings for the XB internal networking (wired) are...

IP Address: 169.254.130.78

Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 0.0.0.0

Primary DNS : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

Secondary DNS: fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

I know this can't be right. I compared the settings to the PS4, and they are more in line with what I expect:

IP Address: 192.168.88:144

Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 0.0.0.0

Primary DNS : 192.168.88.1

Secondary DNS: 192.168.88.1

I tried to manually input similar settings for the XB1, but then get errors like "DNS cannot resolve Xbox Severs", or "Cannot connect to DCHP", etc. All of these things are enabled in my modem and I also disabled the IPv6 settings in the Netduma control panel.

Help, please :)  

• Netduma Staff

Your right, those Network settings on the Xb don't look correct.

First of all could you go to the Netduma Settings >> LAN and disable IPv6. Also to the same in WAN and disable IPv6 multilink in Miscellaneous settings.

You've probably already tried this, but can you also try switching off the Xb, leaving it off for about 5 mins then turning it back on. Please also make sure you are using Automatic as the network configuration and you are not setting a static IP as this can cause problems.

Does the Xb show up on the Netduma device manager? Also, if it has and you've added the Xb to the GeoFilter can you turn the GeoFilter off when trying to log in. I don't think this is the issue though as it doesn't look like the Xb is connecting to the Netduma properly. :)

Let us know how you get on with this.

I had nothing but trouble with the Arris combo from twc. In fact it was so bad I returned it and downgraded my internet. I was on the phone with them for hours trying to bridge my router to comply with theirs. Actually a phone call to Microsoft may help. Just a suggestion. You can try twc too but the settings are strange.

What did MS do Cranium?

Port forwarded specifics. They also ran some tests on my Xbox and tweaked some settings. The guy even actually called me back when we got disconnected. My jaw dropped because usually the customer service is mediocre. This guy was awesome. I think he was in Oregon or San Francisco. Good stuff.

Thanks for the fast replies  :D

I did all of the prescribed things, but still no joy.

As a control, I plugged the XB1 directly into the Arris, and of course, it worked normally. 

So, it looks like there is a conflict with how the Netduma interfaces with XBL when it goes through the Arris and then to the Netduma? The strange thing is the PS4 works just fine. I know they are on different network protocols, but you would think if one didn't work, neither would the other? Oh, well.

Instead of trying to fight with this all night (and then some)...

Do any of you have any recommendations for cable modems that are 100% compatible with the Netduma, and XBL?

I know the Nighthawk is "the" gaming modem / router, but I wouldn't even mind just a nice Netgear, or other brand name router as long as it works.

Once again, thanks, for all of your help.

Was there a previous router before the Netduma or did you use only the Arris combo (router/modem)?  Because I had the same Arris but I was with Comcast.  I had the Arris connected to an Asus router and before I called Comcast and got them bridge the Arris I had connection/nat issues.  Basically what they did was turned off the router component in the Arris combo.  i am not sure if this is your problem but I would definitely check to see if either the Netduma is going to have to be placed in the DMZ in the Arris or the Arris is going to have to be placed in bridge mode.  Hope this makes sense.  

I've tried to put the Arris into bridged mode, but it just locks up (I have to reboot it, but when I go into the control panel, it's still "RoutedWithNAT").

I'm gonna try again later tonight when nobody is using the net, so if I have to reboot it, it won't inconvenience anybody. 

If that doesn't work, like I said, I've been wanting to use a better modem since the start, so this would be a good time to make that change.

As a consumer I could access the web interface and enter devices into the Dmz but only Comcast could place my router in bridge mode. I don't know about Time Warner. Is there a customer service number you can call whereby they can dial into your router and place it into bridge mode. Just a suggestion. Hope it helps some how. If not I like the Arris Surfboard SB6183 but if you also have VOIP services this device does not do this it is only a modem.

• Netduma Staff

If the PS4 is working fine then would it definitely be a modem issue? I wouldn't have thought that the Xb would even interact with the modem when its's going through the Netduma.

Could you try connecting wirelessly and see if this happens.

If connecting wirelessly works then can you try another ethernet cable :)

I've tried to put the Arris into bridged mode, but it just locks up (I have to reboot it, but when I go into the control panel, it's still "RoutedWithNAT").aid, I've been wanting to use a better modem since the start, so this would be a good time to make that change.

I know it's tough, but once you figure it all out you'll be very happy. I'd really try to get twc on the phone today and bridge that. It's not necessarily going to 100% work but then you'll know. I have to keep an eye on my netgear mac address all the time. If the power goes out or I reboot it, it changes. 

I had a similar issue when I got my netduma but can for the life of me remember what it was in the end? I think it was an issue with my Xbox, I had loads of problems with my Xbox a while ago, wiped it and everything was fine but I am in no suggesting you should do that unless you have all games on an external hard drive and only as a last resort!

• Administrators

ok this is a bit of a silly question. But based on the output either:

• you're connected to wrong router via wired or wireless
  • you have a static IP on the xbox, make sure to make it automatic IP

can you try that please :)

Hi, Iain.

Great product  :)

Second, I sorted it out... Kind of... Because I am able to connect to XBL via wireless while logged onto the Netduma.

I couldn't when it was wired.

So, it could be the cable... Although, I just bought two brand new Cat6 cables specifically for the Netduma's arrival for the PS4, and XB1. PS4 works fine and they both worked fine with the same cables when going directly into the Arris.

Now, the big question is do I just keep it like it is... Because, correct me if I am wrong... The latency between wireless and wired (from R1 to XB1) is negligible, right? The XB1 is sitting right next to the Netduma. Literally. So, does it matter all the much if it is plugged in?

Regardless, I am going replace the Arris because like most of you, company modems are cheap POS that don't do anybody any good except the ISP who can lease it to you each month. If I'm paying for it, why not just get a good one and be done with it?

Thanks, for all your help and loving the product and community so far  :D

• Netduma Staff

Hi, Iain.

Great product  :)

Second, I sorted it out... Kind of... Because I am able to connect to XBL via wireless while logged onto the Netduma.

I couldn't when it was wired.

So, it could be the cable... Although, I just bought two brand new Cat6 cables specifically for the Netduma's arrival for the PS4, and XB1. PS4 works fine and they both worked fine with the same cables when going directly into the Arris.

Now, the big question is do I just keep it like it is... Because, correct me if I am wrong... The latency between wireless and wired (from R1 to XB1) is negligible, right? The XB1 is sitting right next to the Netduma. Literally. So, does it matter all the much if it is plugged in?

Regardless, I am going replace the Arris because like most of you, company modems are cheap POS that don't do anybody any good except the ISP who can lease it to you each month. If I'm paying for it, why not just get a good one and be done with it?

Thanks, for all your help and loving the product and community so far  :D

The latency is not negligible. There are also other factors that come into plays when using Wifi such as jitter. I would strongly recommend using wired.

Could you try using the same wire as the PS4 uses and see if you can connect via wired then :)

• Administrators

I would highly recommend wired everytime. Problem with wifi is if two devices communicate at once it gets corrupted and they need to resend. That can cause big problems.

Please try the original wire please.

when logged on xbox live and trying to connect multiplayer via AW, is your geo filer covering a white listed server?  If not, try covering your geo filter over a white listed server.  That should solve your problem.  When mines not covering a white listed server, I have the same issue.   

Have you unplugged your Xbox? Mine will lock up into a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address sometimes and only way to fix it is by physically unplugging it for a few minutes. Most bizarre thing ever with it.

Well, this is going to sound strange... Well, then again, maybe not to you R1 vets.

So, I did what Ian said and that is switch the Cat6 cables going from the R1 to the XB1 and PS4 respectively... And now I can log in to XBL while wired.

So, apparently, from what I observed, XBL needs the first port on the R1, but everything after that doesn't work? It could be just my R1, or it could be how XBL communicates through Arris and then to the R1... Who knows?

Point is, it works now the way it should.

Also, thanks, for all the tips. It makes learning things a lot easier when they are presented in helpful ways instead of having to go and search for each and every one.

I'll keep you guys updated if I decide to scrap the Arris and get a "real" modem, but for now, everything is working as it should. If I do get another modem, it will be this weekend. This is why I asked for suggestions on good cable modems that play well with the R1 out of the box.

:D

• Netduma Staff

Well, this is going to sound strange... Well, then again, maybe not to you R1 vets.

So, I did what Ian said and that is switch the Cat6 cables going from the R1 to the XB1 and PS4 respectively... And now I can log in to XBL while wired.

So, apparently, from what I observed, XBL needs the first port on the R1, but everything after that doesn't work? It could be just my R1, or it could be how XBL communicates through Arris and then to the R1... Who knows?

Point is, it works now the way it should.

Also, thanks, for all the tips. It makes learning things a lot easier when they are presented in helpful ways instead of having to go and search for each and every one.

I'll keep you guys updated if I decide to scrap the Arris and get a "real" modem, but for now, everything is working as it should. If I do get another modem, it will be this weekend. This is why I asked for suggestions on good cable modems that play well with the R1 out of the box.

:D

It could be that the cables are different. Maybe one was crossover or something like that... :)

• Administrators

Hi Connor,

As Crossy said it sounds like its the cable is incompatible. 

Also when you said port 1 of the duma did you mean the first LAN port? Because your are meant to connect the modem into port 1 not any of your home devices(like the xbox in your example).

Hi Connor,

As Crossy said it sounds like its the cable is incompatible. 

Also when you said port 1 of the duma did you mean the first LAN port? Because your are meant to connect the modem into port 1 not any of your home devices(like the xbox in your example).

No, I meant the second port after the LAN port.

My question (out of pure curiosity) is if the cables are incompatible, why did they both work flawlessly when the PS4 and XB1 were connected directly to the modem? Why do they work now when I switch them?

I think there may be something more going on...

• Netduma Staff

No, I meant the second port after the LAN port.

My question (out of pure curiosity) is if the cables are incompatible, why did they both work flawlessly when the PS4 and XB1 were connected directly to the modem? Why do they work now when I switch them?

I think there may be something more going on...

Its different hardware so there are going to be incompatibilities. It could be something to do with auto-crossover etc. Were the cables identical?

Archived