Destiny - Questions before buying the R1

Lechku

Hi there, just on the verge of buying a R1 router. Although they are rather expensive considering the exchange rate, customs and postage for my country so I just want to make sure I'm at least getting majority of what I am paying for.

• Am I able to block certain IP's from the matchmaking pool so I will no longer be able to connect to them if I am the host of that fireteam? or is it even necessary to be fireteam host (if it is possible to block IP's from the matchmaking pool to begin with)?

• Am I able to set the locale of the area/country I want to be match-made with even if it is not close to my home?

• Does this device dramatically impact the matchmaking algorithm for Destiny? (SBMM/CBMM hybrid Bungie currently uses)

Also, are there any other tips from players who specifically play Destiny that they can offer? Thanks in advance. Merry Christmas  :D :D

I just picked one up the other day. I know that you can block users, and set the locale. I will say that since i have been using it, i still get some red bar games....but they are so much better than normal. I am a very competetive player and can say that there is a difference when using this product. My kd is typically a 1.3 - due to trading with shotguns, and playing laggers. With the Net-duma, i have been averaging a 1.75-2.0. It is worth is once you get it fine tuned. Since using it I have been getting error code beaver more than normal. Net-duma has been very responsive and helped to reduce the errors. I can say that it is worth it once you fine tune it.

Been using it for few years now on Destiny, and it works fine, but takes time to work out, it's not straight forward so patience needs to be on your side, as setups are all different, but it PvP makes a big difference, in lowering high ping games, geo cuts out alot of high ping games.

My opinion only tho, but I wouldn't be without it.

• Administrators

Hi there, just on the verge of buying a R1 router. Although they are rather expensive considering the exchange rate, customs and postage for my country so I just want to make sure I'm at least getting majority of what I am paying for.

• Am I able to block certain IP's from the matchmaking pool so I will no longer be able to connect to them if I am the host of that fireteam? or is it even necessary to be fireteam host (if it is possible to block IP's from the matchmaking pool to begin with)?

• Am I able to set the locale of the area/country I want to be match-made with even if it is not close to my home?

• Does this device dramatically impact the matchmaking algorithm for Destiny? (SBMM/CBMM hybrid Bungie currently uses)

Also, are there any other tips from players who specifically play Destiny that they can offer? Thanks in advance. Merry Christmas  :D :D

We don't give you IPs but the effect is the same. You can block individual players on the router i.e. if they have bad ping or you don't like them.

Yes you can do that. I also frequently force games in different countries when testing.

I can't speak to its affect on SBMM etc. We just focus on getting you the best game possible connection wise. 

Merry Christmas!!

I just picked one up the other day. I know that you can block users, and set the locale. I will say that since i have been using it, i still get some red bar games....but they are so much better than normal. I am a very competetive player and can say that there is a difference when using this product. My kd is typically a 1.3 - due to trading with shotguns, and playing laggers. With the Net-duma, i have been averaging a 1.75-2.0. It is worth is once you get it fine tuned. Since using it I have been getting error code beaver more than normal. Net-duma has been very responsive and helped to reduce the errors. I can say that it is worth it once you fine tune it.

Could you share your settings?  Congestion, host filtering, misc settings wan and lan?  I would really appreciate it as I am trying to fine tune the netduma for destiny but have not had too much luck yet,  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just to be sure there is a "Destiny" setting on the router. I have had luck blocking specific players etc. I also have played while monitoring and seen dramatic results in games where players outside of the geofilter were blocked.

The one thing I have noticed is that out of filter players do make it in every once and while. I don't know exactly why they make into the game but they do on occcassion. I would guess that they are partied up with someone else inside my geofilter and they aren't the host of that party...?

@XSXS I can post my settings a little later.

My theory for when people out side the GEO filter make it into your game, is that they are partied up with a player who is inside your region.  I see this a lot in Trials where one Australian (My region) will bring in two USA players.  

It is truly amazing to see some of the games Bungie tries to connect you to, it really can be world wide and people playing from tiny islands in the middle of the ocean

My theory for when people out side the GEO filter make it into your game, is that they are partied up with a player who is inside your region.  I see this a lot in Trials where one Australian (My region) will bring in two USA players.  

It is truly amazing to see some of the games Bungie tries to connect you to, it really can be world wide and people playing from tiny islands in the middle of the ocean

This is a little off topic but, perhaps either their matchmaking is that bad or there really isn't as many players as they claim...

I have had luck blocking specific players etc.

So you can block people? All this time I didn't think it was available for Destiny, I've ceased using the Duma setting for Destiny as I always ended up red barring. It didn't seem to impact my game-play too much though which I found odd, but still reverted back to my original settings to avoid being reported.

• Administrators

So you can block people? All this time I didn't think it was available for Destiny, I've ceased using the Duma setting for Destiny as I always ended up red barring. It didn't seem to impact my game-play too much though which I found odd, but still reverted back to my original settings to avoid being reported.

You can block players yes. Using the Geo-filter you shouldn't be getting too many red bar players but if you do encounter them you can block them, though currently it is hard to find the one with the highest ping to be able to block them.

You can block players yes. Using the Geo-filter you shouldn't be getting too many red bar players but if you do encounter them you can block them, though currently it is hard to find the one with the highest ping to be able to block them.

I had a look for this last night and couldn't figure out what I was meant to be looking for, I use the geofilter, and monitor the connections on the map and pings on the graph, but that's about all I see otherwise...

EDIT: reading through forums, I'm assuming I need to click (or 'press' on my ipad) on one of the circles. Had a grey padlock appear last night and was booted from Trials which was annoying. Padlock appeared in the US, I'm in Aus.

• Administrators

I had a look for this last night and couldn't figure out what I was meant to be looking for, I use the geofilter, and monitor the connections on the map and pings on the graph, but that's about all I see otherwise...

EDIT: reading through forums, I'm assuming I need to click (or 'press' on my ipad) on one of the circles. Had a grey padlock appear last night and was booted from Trials which was annoying. Padlock appeared in the US, I'm in Aus.

Yes you would need to click on a circle, give it a low rating then click update. Did you have strict mode off? Untick auto & bleeding edge cloud and use 30, 28, 28 cloud numbers instead please and see if you get booted again

Yes you would need to click on a circle, give it a low rating then click update. Did you have strict mode off? Untick auto & bleeding edge cloud and use 30, 28, 28 cloud numbers instead please and see if you get booted again

I never use strict with Destiny, learnt that lesson early. lol

Won't be playing Destiny again until the weekend, so will give those setting a go then. Cheers

Did some really interesting testing with pingplotter and dslreports.com, turns out setting my Congestion Control to 70% turned my connection to shit; bufferbloat and jitter off the charts. This might explain why I go full red-bar when I use the Destiny profile. Having it at 100% I noticed some pretty wild spikes here and there but no where near as bad. Upon testing the CC at 80%, my ping held low and had very little fluctuation. Will be interesting to try this on the weekend in trials. Wish I run these test a long time ago...

Did some really interesting testing with pingplotter and dslreports.com, turns out setting my Congestion Control to 70% turned my connection to shit; bufferbloat and jitter off the charts. This might explain why I go full red-bar when I use the Destiny profile. Having it at 100% I noticed some pretty wild spikes here and there but no where near as bad. Upon testing the CC at 80%, my ping held low and had very little fluctuation. Will be interesting to try this on the weekend in trials. Wish I run these test a long time ago...

I wouldn't hold your breath. Your data does not make sense. 80% should not be better than 70%. I think something else was going on when you were running your tests.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Your data does not make sense. 80% should not be better than 70%. I think something else was going on when you were running your tests.

Lol, I block all other connections when I perform testing and it was done over yesterday and today at different times of the day, all with the same result. I do intend on continuing to test further, but I was just sharing my results so far, regardless or not if they make sense. If you care to suggest any other specific outliers I may not have considered that may impact it, I'd love to hear. FYI; I only have a ~9.5Mbps down, 0.85Mbps up connection  :wacko:

Untick auto & bleeding edge cloud and use 30, 28, 28 cloud numbers instead please and see if you get booted again

Tried the settings you suggested, was not kicked from a match all night. I was removed from searching for a match a few times in a row though, and then removed from a fireteam while sitting idle in orbit, but only happened in a span of about 2 minutes and was fine again after that.

• Netduma Staff

Tried the settings you suggested, was not kicked from a match all night. I was removed from searching for a match a few times in a row though, and then removed from a fireteam while sitting idle in orbit, but only happened in a span of about 2 minutes and was fine again after that.

That sounds like it's worked out - let us know if you get booted again. There's not really a reason why using anti-flood at 70% should make your connection that much worse though unless not all devices are connected to the Netduma; most Netduma users go for that setting.

That sounds like it's worked out - let us know if you get booted again.

Was playing again last night and was booted from a match. It was right towards the end of the match though, so it could've been a Destiny error for all I know, nothing irregular showed up on the Geo map.

There's not really a reason why using anti-flood at 70% should make your connection that much worse though unless not all devices are connected to the Netduma; most Netduma users go for that setting.

I've been playing at 80% the last couple days (haven't performed anymore tests on the PC yet) and my connection has been the best I've ever experienced, I do intend on performing more tests to confirm though. Just curious, how long should I keep using the 30,28,28 cloud settings?

• Administrators

Was playing again last night and was booted from a match. It was right towards the end of the match though, so it could've been a Destiny error for all I know, nothing irregular showed up on the Geo map.

I've been playing at 80% the last couple days (haven't performed anymore tests on the PC yet) and my connection has been the best I've ever experienced, I do intend on performing more tests to confirm though. Just curious, how long should I keep using the 30,28,28 cloud settings?

Let us know if you see anything when you get kicked.

Keep using it, the reason I haven't put it to auto/bleeding edge is I'm not sure how it would affect Call of Duty so leaving them as test clouds for the time being. Once I have a better idea of how it affects other games I can put it to auto/bleeding edge.

Let us know if you see anything when you get kicked.

Keep using it, the reason I haven't put it to auto/bleeding edge is I'm not sure how it would affect Call of Duty so leaving them as test clouds for the time being. Once I have a better idea of how it affects other games I can put it to auto/bleeding edge.

Was using it over the weekend and was kicked from 1 match, which I believe was due to Destiny, not the Netduma (nothing irregular showed up on geo map). The next match we played the same guys and one of them were kicked.

• Netduma Staff

Was using it over the weekend and was kicked from 1 match, which I believe was due to Destiny, not the Netduma (nothing irregular showed up on geo map). The next match we played the same guys and one of them were kicked.

Sounds like it's working better now fortunately; Destiny sometimes does kick you albeit rarely. It doesn't seem like there's anything irregular going on though so you should be fine to play :)