Netduma speed cut in half/disconnecting problem after speedtest(TWCmaxx)

Hey Guys, Proud Netduma owner here. Well newly addition to DUMA Army fresh boots of two weeks. Anyways, I've been checking out some of the guys on youtube and browse through the forums for solutions and tips and each soldier(A7legit, simjc74, killerkevo, nfxcr3w) always helps. I love it. My problem is that, i read that some guys had this problem of disconnecting or speeds slowing down extremely slow. I dont know why it does it when I do speedtest, mainly when trying to check bufferbloat on dslreports.com/speedtest. I could do maybe two speedtest and then I would have to reset modem and router. Sometimes factory reseting. I read about EEE(energy efficient ethernet) of my previous sb6183 modem. So I went out today to purchase a CM600 since I seen two DUMA Soldiers have success One of the two was using the EXACT same internet package as me (TIME WARNER CABLE 300/20). But the issue still happens. I don't know what to do, I dont know if it's my DUMA router or just my ISP not letting me use the DUMA router. I'm loss for words now. By the way I also have a Nighthawk 7500v2 but i never use it because I want to use the Congestion control. So I don't have it between the modem and DUMA router. I want to use DUMA straight to my modem CM600. 

I've done the lain steps and steps the issue stands.

Factory Reset is always my number one along with rebooting modem. Any have any ideas what may be the cause or how I can get modem>duma working correctly without having the use a bridge(nighthawk)? 

Other than that anything with net gear in the name. Run for the hills. Garbage. Hopefully that's not ur case. Should have got tp link tc-7620 way better, way cheaper..... Or arris

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/5115839.png

A+is what u want

I'm beginning to think that now. I seen the TP-Link to purchase but I seen success those using the cm600. So I got it instead. if I cant find a fi within' 24 hours. I believe I'm going to return the Netgeat CM600 and purchase the TP Link tomorrow. I had an ARRIS but it too was doing the same thing. But the ARRIS both ISP rental and my ARRIS Surfboard 6183 did the same thing with the disconnects when doing speedtests. 

Yes, I have turbo checked. ipv6 disabled and CC at 100%. My speeds decrease or disables immediately after three to four speedtests.

I dont have twc. So can't say much for them but no problems at all with modem on xfinity. Had it for a week now. Very happy and easy to set up. Read Amazon on net gear. Same for Nighthawk. Positive reviews are ppl who usually not knowledgeable on networking.

But try this. Download downloadthemall. Google it extension for Firefox. Then go download Microsoft visual Studio it's free 4gigs. See if ur getting ur speeds. I was getting 22MB per second on my connection. Took 3 mins. If it takes longer than 2 mins for u. . . Ur Shit fucked up. Shows ur avg and Max speeds. Mine never moved up or down from 22MB. Most accurate I've seen for downloads

Wish u luck. There are ppl on Amazon with same model running twc jus fine and getting over 300megs. Only complaint I've seen is possibly getting a refurbished or some bs. Who knows maybe that's amazon. Mine came new and no problems.

Jus remember when hooking up new modem. Power on and let set for a min then. Power on netduma. Took me a hour to figure this out. Thought netduma was being dumb or broken. Jus slow at talking to modem for first-time

Ah boo, my store didn't have the tp link. So looks like in going to have to order it offline. So I'm back to square one. Sb6183 modem and netduma and my nighthawk on the side disconnected collecting dust lol.

• Administrators

Make sure you have these settings enabled:

• ALL devices connected to the R1
  • Reactive Algorithm
  • 100% anti-flood
  • Share excess enabled
  • Reset device prioritisation & apply
  • Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
  • Disable deep packet in misc
  • Enable turbo mode
  • Enable super turbo mode (keep in mind this will disable congestion control but will get you your 300down)
  • Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
  • Do a wired speed test from a PC

Theres also asus which i highly rate.....netgear are rubbish.

Thanks man, I didn't see any asus modems at my local electronics store. Also did a search on both bestbuy and the electronic store website and both dont carry the modem compatibile with my ISP. ASUS CM-16. But thanks man. Appreciate it.

I got mine in Amazon for 80 us dollars. Idk about where you are at. Sorry man. Honestly didn't know anyone to to carry tp link in store. Most stores got their brands. And that's it. Honestly think if u jus get a different modem that's 16x4 or 24 if u think u need 1gig up n down. You should be fine... Keep us updated

Hey, I ordered the modem last night and got same day shipping and should receive the TP-Link 7620(16x4) in a few hours today from amazon. No you're right no one carries the modem in stores. I will definitely keep you guys updated. Love the netduma man, when it works correctly. it's magical in my gaming experience. Just today when it works for a couple games in different games I play. The lag is nearly gone I love it. So i can't wait to get the TP-Link to have that experience constantly without the drop in speeds and latency problems. (fingers crossed for TP-Link).

Make sure you have these settings enabled:

• ALL devices connected to the R1
  • Reactive Algorithm
  • 100% anti-flood
  • Share excess enabled
  • Reset device prioritisation & apply
  • Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
  • Disable deep packet in misc
  • Enable turbo mode
  • Enable super turbo mode (keep in mind this will disable congestion control but will get you your 300down)
  • Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
  • Do a wired speed test from a PC

Hey Fraser, I did these steps and with my new TP-Link modem. I do one speedtest on dslreports and after one test it completely kills my internet. I did the test numerous times without the duma. Just the TPLink and PC and 10/10 everything was fine. I set my speeds in the Duma to 300/20 and I also did the 200/200 auto and inputted my speeds in without clicking auto. No matter what my internet is completely killed to only less than 100kbps being sent out and receive as it crawls slowly to load webpage and the speedtest reults. I also used cat7 cables and cat6 and cat5. new cables i purchased along with the TPLink today and it doesnt work. Was amazing seeing how STEADY the ping was on the dslreports speedtest graph... LOVE SEEING THAT FLAT STEADY LINE on both DOWNLOAD AND UPLOAD for one speedtest only each time I reset my modem each time. 

Definitely would like to know for future reference for other ppl with same net as you. I notice night n day on comcast with it. So we wait for updates.

Hey Slipknot, Yeah buddy it's still not working. I have reason to believe it's just my DUMA which kind of sucks because I love my DUMA. Just hope be some way to get it working without dying on me when trying to check my bufferbloat(speedtest). Because I've even done it where I reset modem and don't do any speedtest... BUT even the connect ps4 network>easy>test internet speed. It will do the same. It will drop my speeds extremely below 4-5 mbps. And get this, I just found out the my ISP up'ed my speeds from 300/20 to 400/30 because of their buyout from comcast(spectrum). I'm not sure if that have anything to do with it. But like I said, previously to Fraser. Everything is fine modem alone. Just can't get my DUMA to be friends with MR.Modem. 

UPDATE

I'm noticing any speeds inputting in the bandwidth control of 120mbps+ WITH "100%" CC kills my connection. If I slide the CC on download to 99% it sticks to the 120 inputted. But if I put slider to 100% it exceeds and try to use my ISP download speeds(300down) and then thats when immediately I will lose/drop in connection down to below 150kbps download. Anything with "100%" will exceed the limit i set on download. 99% keeps it at or below the limit I set download. but as stated, anything setting above 120mbps is no good. 

Wow man that's strange. I know the router has a cap of 900 in and out cuz of mikrotic.

I know comcast used to fluctuate bad using blast. . It not that bad. One day ud get 90 then 75 then 80 down. So c either done away with blast and went to extreme. Bandwidth doesn't fluctuate but 1 Meg. Always 179/25 or 180.

Maybe twc prevents ppl from speed testing?

Sorry I thought modem would fix your issues. I've seen ppl O. Here with higher speeds than yours tho never said anything about that speed test issue

Very strange, I've never heard of it cutting the internet after doing a speed test. Can you post in the 1 on 1 section please with dates/times you would be available and I'll take a look.

Yeah it is strange, I posted the time and date available in the 1 on 1. Thanks Fraser.

HFKing.  I have TWCMaxx with 300/20 with CM600 modem.  I use Fraser's settings above with cc at 80%.  I can say that I have noticed issues when I put CC at 100%.  I don't know if it is the Netduma or TWC.  It is not consistent.  Sometimes it works and other times it does not.  The results may not be as drastic  you are getting but it does seem to have an effect at times.   

Wow man that's strange. I know the router has a cap of 900 in and out cuz of mikrotic.

I know comcast used to fluctuate bad using blast. . It not that bad. One day ud get 90 then 75 then 80 down. So c either done away with blast and went to extreme. Bandwidth doesn't fluctuate but 1 Meg. Always 179/25 or 180.

Maybe twc prevents ppl from speed testing?

Sorry I thought modem would fix your issues. I've seen ppl O. Here with higher speeds than yours tho never said anything about that speed test issue

It's all good man no problems, still better than using SB6183 modem that is without a doubt an issue with the Duma. So it's cool. I don't know, I can do speedtest fine with the PC directly connected to Modem perfectly fine multiple times. Also tried back to back with a cat 5 and cat 7 cable on my isp speedtest site and dslreport speedtest 

2ytv6s1.png

2ze0but.png

igj1v8.png

27xmlix.png

Cat5 top/cat7 bottom cables 

HFKing.  I have TWCMaxx with 300/20 with CM600 modem.  I use Fraser's settings above with cc at 80%.  I can say that I have noticed issues when I put CC at 100%.  I don't know if it is the Netduma or TWC.  It is not consistent.  Sometimes it works and other times it does not.  The results may not be as drastic  you are getting but it does seem to have an effect at times.   

Yeah man, I can't even use CC at 80%, right now I have it below 50%(48% both CC) and it works. Like, If my speedtest go over 200mbps it will kill my net. But if it's below 200, which is a consistent  160mbps down I'm fine. but if it tend to go over or close to that 200 mark it will mess things up. Crazy thing is, I read one of your post before(when searching compatible modems here) and was the reason I had picked up the CM600 earlier this week, before taking it back to the store when it didn't work. I'm at a loss, don't know what to do now. Just hoping everything goes smoothly when Fraser checks it out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi not to crash your thread but did you get this resolved? I have the exact same issue. I had a 1on1 with Fraser and we couldn't figure it out bc my Duma kept crashing the net. I have the 300 20 twc ultimate with TPLINK7620. Speeds die after a few minutes and I have to constantly reset both.

Sounds like that old EEE bug to me where the connection goes to crap and the only way to get it working properly again is to reboot both router and modem. It's the Broadcom chip that is the problem. When you say speeds die does the ping spike to some crazy values? Only fix is a firmware update from ISP for modem but who knows when that will come. I had a similar issue and had to replace my modem. One other issue is you can have different model modems from the same company where some are fine and others have the same issue. For instance i have the tplink 7610 and do not have any issues. I won't tell you how many modems I have been through :)

Hi not to crash your thread but did you get this resolved? I have the exact same issue. I had a 1on1 with Fraser and we couldn't figure it out bc my Duma kept crashing the net. I have the 300 20 twc ultimate with TPLINK7620. Speeds die after a few minutes and I have to constantly reset both.

Hey Bro, Yeah I had the same problem. What i did was in "miscellaneous" settings. I (unchecked) "Enable Auto Cloud" and "Bleeding Edge" and clicked "apply cloud settings" underneath them both. Sorry didn't know you replied to my thread. Apologies for getting back late. I don't know why TWC and Netduma dont play nice with those ticked/checked. But I can assure you, the geo-filter still works fine. Everything works fine and I get the speeds without the disconnects. May these settings help you as well.

Sounds like that old EEE bug to me where the connection goes to crap and the only way to get it working properly again is to reboot both router and modem. It's the Broadcom chip that is the problem. When you say speeds die does the ping spike to some crazy values? Only fix is a firmware update from ISP for modem but who knows when that will come. I had a similar issue and had to replace my modem. One other issue is you can have different model modems from the same company where some are fine and others have the same issue. For instance i have the tplink 7610 and do not have any issues. I won't tell you how many modems I have been through  :)

Hey Buck Nasssty, Yeah that EEE bug is annoying and I was thinking it could possible that the modem need a firmware update as well. I'm not sure exactly what the new firmware is for the TP-Link 7620 is. BUT I do know the firmware for SB6183, and my city haven't received the update though a few counties over they do. No telling when they will roll it out seeing as the year is just about up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks HFKing.  Sorry I was out of town.  I'll give it a shot.  Appreciate the tip.  Right now, I've got the bandwidth set at 300/20 but I have to run DL at 45% on Congestion Control.  Otherwise, it goes nuts.  Will try to turn those off to see if that helps.  

Thanks HFKing.  Sorry I was out of town.  I'll give it a shot.  Appreciate the tip.  Right now, I've got the bandwidth set at 300/20 but I have to run DL at 45% on Congestion Control.  Otherwise, it goes nuts.  Will try to turn those off to see if that helps.  

Pretty sure the TP-LINK 7620 and the SB6183 both use the same chips which have the EEE bug and that's what you are seeing here.

I'm still searching for a working modem.

Archived