Possible Bricked NetDuma R1 | How Can I Cascade Asus RT-N56U To NetDuma R1 From U-Verse Gigabit 5268AC Modem?

Hello Everyone,

I am stoked about joining the NetDuma family.

I received my NetDuma R1 yesterday and attempted to set it up as my primary router and utilize my Asus as an access point.  However, I was disappointed to achieve only 500 MB/s Down | 450 Mb/s Up with my PC directly connected to the NetDuma.  I understand I should not be complaining at all with this amount of throughput, but it is being throttled or going through a bottleneck somewhere within the NetDuma.  I would like to resolve the issue with any help that could be afforded to me.  I am also aware that my primary outlet for multiplayer gaming, Xbox One: Call of Duty III, does not require much at all in respect to throughput.  Alas, I want to flex the full capability of the NetDuma along with the full throughput of my Gigabit connection, if at all possible.

Here are examples of my various attempted configurations:

Original Fully Functional Configuration:

AT&T U-verse Gigabit Modem: Pace Plc | Model: 5268AC | HW Version: 260-2173300 | SW Version: 10.5.3.527171-att |

Hardwired CAT 6 Connection From Modem To: Router: Asus | Model: RT-N56U | FW Version: 3.0.0.4.378_6065 |

Hardwired CAT 6 Connection From Router To: Digital Storm PC | Ethernet Card: Realtek PCIe GBE |

With this configuration I obtain this Speed Test:

5532312373.png

I had my network configured with the Asus QoS settings optimizing my connection to the XBox One and honestly gaming was great, but I wanted the best.  That's why I turned to the NetDuma.  I wanted to present the above configuration to convey that the NetDuma addition to the network infrastructure has changed my throughput.

New NetDuma Configuration:

AT&T U-verse Gigabit Modem: Pace Plc | Model: 5268AC | HW Version: 260-2173300 | SW Version: 10.5.3.527171-att

Hardwired CAT 6 Connection From Modem To: Router: NetDuma R1 | MikroTik | HW Version: RB951g-2HnD | FW: 1.03.6h |

Hardwired CAT 6 Connection From Router To: Digital Storm PC | Ethernet Card: Realtek PCIe GBE |

With this configuration I obtained this Speed Test:

(I didn't obtain an image)

San Antonio OOKLA Speedtest Server:

450 Mb/s Download

550 Mb/s Upload

15 ms Latency

I performed this test multiple times and acquired similar results.  Rebooted all devices multiple times, unplugged, replugged, power cycled, etc...

I even referenced this excellent how to video:

https://youtu.be/p85xwZ_OLX0

:D

I have already followed all articles I can find to optimize the NetDuma for my throughput.  Please reference the following articles I used:

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=fine_tune_netduma

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=setup_gt_500

(Ran SpeedTest, Results Still Far Below Throughput Obtained Prior To NetDuma Deployment)

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=tuning_anti_flood 

(Ran SpeedTest, Results Still Far Below Throughput Obtained Prior To NetDuma Deployment)

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=fine_tune_nat 

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=adding_geofilter_device 

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=why_is_my_speed_lower 

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000023979-optimal-settings-guide#Speed

- I went through the "Auto-Setup" 

- I manually configured the NetDuma, following he protocol outlined in the article.

- I also allocated 100% of traffic to go to the PC via NetDuma configurations to acquire a true test.  I unchecked share as well.

(Ran SpeedTest, Results Still Far Below Throughput Obtained Prior To NetDuma Deployment)

I attempted to tweak a few more things on the NetDuma.  Unfortunately, my impatience got the best of me and I stopped a configuration application in the middle of its process on the Chrome web browser.  Yes, I am a n00b and should have known better.  It seems as though I am completely unable to connect to the NetDuma at all at this point.  I hope I wasn't able to Brick it by just hitting the stop button on my browser...  Subsequently, I am in need of an additional remediation protocol for my mistake.

Ideally, if not bricked, I wish to have this configuration:

AT&T U-verse Gigabit Modem: Pace Plc | Model: 5268AC | HW Version: 260-2173300 | SW Version: 10.5.3.527171-att |

Hardwired CAT 6 Connection From Modem To: Router: Asus | Model: RT-N56U | FW Version: 3.0.0.4.378_6065 |

Hardwired CAT 6 Connection From Asus Router To: Digital Storm PC | Ethernet Card: Realtek PCIe GBE |

Hardwired CAT 6 Connection From Asus Router Cascaded To: NetDuma R1 | MikroTik | HW Version: RB951g-2HnD | FW: 1.03.6h |

Hardwired CAT 6 Connection From NetDuma Router To: Xbox One (NetDuma To Be Configured Specifically For COD: BO III, I hope :D)

I would prefer cascading LAN to WAN for NAT remediation with DMZ enabled for the NetDuma designated IP on the Asus.  However, I understand that LAN to LAN may be required in order for me to access the NetDuma from my PC, while the PC is connected to the Asus router.

If it is possible to obtain max throughput (950-ish Mb/s | 950-ish Mb/s) with the NetDuma as the primary router, I will proceed with that type of deployment.  However, I am fine with allocating a specific amount of throughput via QoS settings to be dedicated to the NetDuma/XB1 connection after it is cascaded from the Asus router.

I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable person at all in respect to networking.  I hope my information supplied is sufficient to obtain some assistance in this matter.  If I missed something simple, I apologize for my ignorance.

Please Help!  Thank you in advance for your assistance!

What a post!

I have the RT-N56U and I've had my fair share of issues with it playing nicely with the netduma... Although, I do believe the netduma should be able to hit about 900Mbps if it's setup correct. Sounds like you did everything right to me, so I'm not sure what could be the issue...

Would you try to factory reset it with the button on the back to see if you can get into it again? Very unlikely that it is bricked.

Wow Man You So Much!

I'll try the reset when I wake up. Brain is slightly fried and angry at the situation since I just purchased the NetDuma and received the shipment today.

I was so excited......

Need some rest to recoup my troubleshooting tactics.

Thanks again!

I hope more people can read this and see if there may have more insight on the matter.

Cheers!

Wow Man You So Much!

I'll try the reset when I wake up. Brain is slightly fried and angry at the situation since I just purchased the NetDuma and received the shipment today.

I was so excited......

Need some rest to recoup my troubleshooting tactics.

Thanks again!

I hope more people can read this and see if there may have more insight on the matter.

Cheers!

Someone from Netduma should be seeing this shortly and you'll get some official support

Wow Man You So Much!

Wow...I have some awesome grammar at 04:00 in the morning, lol.... So, so sad.  Correction: "Wow! Thank You Man So Much Man!"

i would sell my soul for speeds like you have and a 1 ms ping!

It's amazing!  Sometimes, I'll load into a XB1 BO III game as if I had an SSD hard drive. I haven't figured out exactly why, but it's AWESOME.  A bit frustrating to my clan mates /  teammates, but it gives me SSD game load time performance, lol.  Additionally, I only pay a similar monthly bill here in SATX to the one I paid in Bumblef*c*, Egypt when I used to live in Rural Georgia for a 12 DOWN | 3 UP connection.  About $80 for TRUE Gigabit Fiber.  I am truly blessed!  Apparently, I did my time and now I'm being rewarded, lol.

However, I don't often get that Gigabit throughput from various D/L locations.  Additionally, MS XBL definitely does not award you with that level of throughput.  However, I get anywhere from 150-600 D/L and 90-400 U/L via the XBL Network Test.  Odd how it's so inconsistent.  Get throttled like hell consistently in general though, generic internet or XBL.  But, 40%-50% of the time I get AMAZING D/L times.

Nah he's getting lag comp fucked I bet lol

You are correct!  That is why I hope to fix and tweak my NetDuma for CoD: BO on the XB1.  However, to compensate for any inconsistencies, I have become am a consummate 205 Brecci + Overdrive DOUCHE BAG.  2.0+ K/D and 650 SPM in Dom , ALL with the Brecci.  30.0 Win Loss too.  Pubs of course.  But still, I am extremely lame for my class setup.  Get trolled via messages ALL the time.  But alas, I do deserve it!  But, its SOOOOO FUN! :D

Someone from Netduma should be seeing this shortly and you'll get some official support

I certainly hope so!  I can't wait for the insight of the pros!  I Founded and Co-Command a decent XB CoD Comp and Pubs clan.  I plan on promoting the HELL out of this product if I can get things configured properly.  I hope to buy multiple units to help out and award our UMG Top 5 Ranked TL Squad members, some of our Pubstompers, and a few of our other Comp Squads.

Please assist me with a proper config with my current hardware and Fiber Gigabit connection!  NetDuma was highly recommended to me by quite a few people.  Please prove them right! :D

Help Me Obi-NetDuma-Wan, You Are My Only Hope!

Loved the itcrowd troubleshooting technique. I can't belive it didn't work. I think you may have the skill's to build your own router designed specifically for you.

Sorry I can't help you as based on your post it seems like you followed all the set up rules required. I'm sure they will be able to sort you out.

Good luck

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum! 

Congratulations on the most thorough support post ever, it will definitely speed things up. In terms of speed:

• Reactive Algorithm
  • 100% anti-flood
  • Share excess enabled
  • Reset device prioritisation & apply
  • Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
  • Disable deep packet in misc
  • Enable turbo mode
  • Enable super turbo mode
  • Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
  • Do a wired speed test from a PC

If you're unable to reach any higher with this setup then that will unfortunately be the max you can hit. 

Are you able to access the interface now after doing the reset?

You could go modem > asus > R1 and put the R1 in the Asus DMZ, that would be fine. Considering your speeds local congestion won't be much of an issue for you anyway. You're correct in saying that the PC connected to the Asus wouldn't be able to access the interface unless LAN to LAN. However, you could enable the access from WAN option in settings > miscellaneous, that may be a nice workaround.

Archived