Collaboration Time #DumaArmy? I need a graphics guy

Dillinger

Greetings all - JD here again with yet another tale of my inability to make cool shit in a digital realm.... :huh:

We have a metric ton of new members & customers, about 95% of which do not understand physical networks and how signals get from Point A (their house) to Point Z (the game host) and back.

Now in another life, about 100 years ago, I used to build a lot of the plant that is out there carrying all these ones and zeros, so I am in an advantageous position of being able to help explain how these networks function.  

Questions like: "What makes some ISP's (like Cable TV) perform so poorly for gaming while others (like DSL/ADSL/FTTC) perform much better" can be easily explained, but pictures are ALWAYS easier to understand.

This is where I need some help to get the information I have into a customer friendly and easy to read graphical format.  Because that is NOT in my wheelhouse at all.  :ph34r:

I don't need anything flashy, or moving items, to get the point across, but this is an area where I just always say "I defer to the artist".

So here's the pitch:  Full credit on the thread with me and you can use the final images & info for your YT, etc.  You take my information and get me some graphics that make it clear, then we publish and help the community raise their common knowledge.  People will then be naming their pets after you and you become another go to guy in the #DumaArmy ranks.

From there it's just a drive to world fame/infamy where we do shaving ads and get fabulously hot models throwing themselves at us... but I digress.

Anyone interested in helping a brother out?

Thanks in advance!

JD

I love this idea. If I had more time I would help. Maybe if someone drew this on a piece of paper and scanned it to me I could find some time to make a cad drawing of it. (this way I don't have to think just use cad.)

I'm a legend at drawing stick figures,any help..? Yeah probably not but love the idea JD and I'm sure someone has the required skills on here to get the job done.

Lots of talented folks here,but my skill set applies to something other than your application... :(

Excellent.  Lots of views and likes, so it would appear there is interest and I have a couple of guys willing to chip in.

i'm thinking I will try to draw up some basics of what I am thinking, and I may as well post them here for discussion.  Maybe those interested can call dibs on something and we can work in more of an  "Open for Ideas" | "In Progress" | "Time for Review"?

That way if people get busy or it isn't in their wheel house, they can still stay involved without being the lone lynch pin to the operation?

First order of business.  The Street overview of a neighborhood.  We need to show the potential of combined signals and how a problem at your neighbor's house CAN influence your gaming.  No kids, it's not the Duma, nor can the Duma fix this type of issue.  

First order of business.  The Street overview of a neighborhood.  We need to show the potential of combined signals and how a problem at your neighbor's house CAN influence your gaming.  No kids, it's not the Duma, nor can the Duma fix this type of issue.  

You mean something like the illustration from this website showing the houses?

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Communication_Networks/Cable

or this

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/internet.htm

You mean something like the illustration from this website showing the houses?

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Communication_Networks/Cable

or this

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/internet.htm

Yes and no.

While I appreciate the full view like that, I think it will confuse the first issue I want to tackle.  I think the first order of business is to take a simple street view and explain the differences (in the plant and how it operates) between PEAK and OFF-PEAK times.  This will tie into why we have people run (2) sample sets with Ping Plotter and "when" do we need to call in the technicians from the Cable/Phone/ISP Provider.

This is a very interesting article with lots of good links.  While it does not fit your graphical need, it does provide some good information to understanding the issues regarding the internet.

http://gizmodo.com/why-americas-internet-is-so-shitty-and-slow-1686173744

This is a very interesting article with lots of good links.  While it does not fit your graphical need, it does provide some good information to understanding the issues regarding the internet.

http://gizmodo.com/why-americas-internet-is-so-shitty-and-slow-1686173744

Thanks for that, I read several paragraphs and it's quality information, so we should definitely keep this for links in case some folks want to dive a bit deeper.  

I actually have a lot of experience with physical network construction and troubleshooting, so I want to leverage some real world, hands-on things that I have seen and try to explain them.

For the first step, do you mean a diagram more like this one for the top right side only of the image?  Replacing "optic node" with just "node"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fibre-coaxial#/media/File:HFC_Network_Diagram.svg

Another article with representative graph that is a good illustration of neighborhood congestion effects on bandwidth.

http://andrewseybold.com/3560-put-everything-on-the-internet-cancel-all-other-services

Yes, that is kind of what I am thinking.  But I would like to blow up the street view to cut down on confusion and make it Sesame Street simple.  Maybe have (3-5) homes, with space in-between the houses for some notes.  We also want to be able to give a user count, per house (like 4 people here use their internet, this house has 2, that house has 7) to show how times of the day (when people are home) and how that will affect performance.

I want to be able to show (2) pathways.  The Downstream, which is less prone to a lot of the problems that cause gaming to go south, and the Upstream, which is a mixed bag of shit.

I would like to show a Node location (Large Triangle) and then one or two smaller triangles to represent in line active devices like Amplifiers/Line extenders.

I am about to grab a bite to eat, so I will grab some graph paper at the store and sketch up kind of what I am thinking, then scan it in here to help for the picture.

Alright Stop!

Collaborate and Listen

Dill is back with a brand new edition!

Something grabs a hold of him tightly

Then he wants to show all of us rightly

Will he ever stop?

Yo that's a NO!

Don't turn off your mics or we'll know

To the extreme he rocks a mouse like a vandal

Help him light up the screen and show us all what he can do

Okay, afternoon work just picked right up on a Friday. :(

I'll see about getting something together this weekend.

Thanks for all the support thus far guys!

You are going to have a few different things to work out, UK and the US etc have different infrastructure's then there is the many types of broadband with different  implementations.

Yeah, right now Cable is the most widely seen problem, and it's the worst design, so I want to concentrate on information based on that model.  From there, I am hoping I can enlist others such as yourself for UK applications.

Alright Stop!

Collaborate and Listen

Dill is back with a brand new edition!

Something grabs a hold of him tightly

Then he wants to show all of us rightly

Will he ever stop?

Yo that's a NO!

Don't turn off your mics or we'll know

To the extreme he rocks a mouse like a vandal

Help him light up the screen and show us all what he can do

I think a ban is in order for major just for posting the lyrics to that f**king song,damn Vanilla Ice...  :angry:

But then again I might need to be banned for knowing the lyrics and artist... :o

Test text in relation to above image:  Guys - Does this make sense to those NOT familiar with what I am talking about?

DOWNSTREAM:  This is also known as “Broadcast” in older terminology.  This can be easily thought of as a Bullhorn/Loudspeaker or Public Address System.  For example:  the BEGINNING of any Press Briefing or Public Statement.  One person (the Node) is speaking to many people (homes in the service area) and the same message is being conveyed, at the same time, to each person listening (or customers of that Node).  In the case of this thread, right now I am acting as the Node and you as the reader are the downstream recipient.  When your favorite TV show comes on, or you fire up YT/Netflix/other streaming services and the video begins to stream, it is being provided to your house by the downstream signal.

I think a ban is in order for major just for posting the lyrics to that f**king song,damn Vanilla Ice...  :angry:

But then again I might need to be banned for knowing the lyrics and artist... :o

i can't help it. anytime I hear the word 'collaborate' it takes me back to that stupid song. A self imposed ban may be in order

Archived