Netduma Placebo effect?

Kirby9099

And another thing is it me or is it like the most ridiculous timing nowadays in bo3 where i literally get hit with one bullet before i die, but when i look at the killcam he hit me like three-four times before i even notice one shot?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically your very angry won't take advice or follow what anyone says. So nothing anyone explains will help and your just gonna bitch about it being horrible. OK Got you now sorry I tried to help. You obviously didn't try what I said.

And for the record FRASER set everything up remotely. So if it doesnt work from him setting it up ya i can be upset.

And for the record FRASER set everything up remotely. So if it doesnt work from him setting it up ya i can be upset.

So your just gonna be angry and not try what I said? There isn't any one cure all for anybody. I think Zennon set me up once but what works for him didn't work for me. You need to try people's suggestions . Most of the people here are just like you , people who bought a router to improve their gaming experience. But trust me, I used to be you, Bitching and moaning and getting angry doesn't help. I tried it! Ask anyone who's been here a while. My setup I'm sure is similar to some but still different. Their are many many people here willing to help if you give it a chance. Look at it this way, if you bought a car and frazier set the seat, radio, mirrors etc the way he likes or would use it would that work for you? No because you are different size, in this case I think the steering wheel may be in the wrong place etc etc. I would suggest just trying one thing at a time not switching everything. I don't know dude I'd hate to see you dissconnect it when it do work so well.

I am Mod Box was able to help me to confirm theres really nothing i can do and I pretty much cant benefit from the Netduma. Yet again burned by another $200 router that cant help. Thank you Mod Box for all the help.

I feel like I am in the same boat. I get maybe 3 -  5 decent games out of BO3 which is almost always connected to the Iowa server and I am in Illinois. Tried a bunch of settings and nothing seems to change that. Seems like if I play for more than 30 min to an hour, I am destined to get in laggy lobbies. So far Netduma has only confirmed which server I am connecting too which is nice to see but doesn't really help matters much. Initially I thought there was some benefit to it at first but even that was some what subtle. Money doesn't bother me, just want to get the best connection possible. Now I am leaning towards the fact there really is not much I can do to improve it on my end.

Netduma is all placebo, yeah totally.

http://twitter.com/a7legit/status/744415357679501313

http://twitter.com/a7legit/status/745379831584456704

http://twitter.com/a7legit/status/747793786969825281

I can tell you, as soon as I unplug the R1, this hardcore like hit detection in core turns off. #TeamDontGoNegative

I didn't start the post saying it was placebo, I just haven't noticed a huge difference with it. When I first got it, I thought I did but it was somewhat subtle and quite honestly, it could have simply been that I had a series of good non-laggy lobbies. I have had some really good games on and off of the R1. I was hoping it would help with the games that lagged prior to me getting the R1. Unfortunately the inconsistencies in the game still exist, I maybe get 4 or 5 good games and than it gets laggy again at least that seems to be the number. Glad your getting great results with it but our locations are different just like the OP. 

If you put it only around Illinois with strict mode on than you will get a garbage connection. I tried just Illinois and it took a few minutes to find a lobby than when I did the lag was the worst I have ever experienced. A guy crossed the map of Fringe and killed me and my cross hairs was on him the whole time shooting and missed almost every shot. I thought I was getting laggy games with the Iowa server but that was nothing compared to this. Not sure who I was connecting to or what I was connecting to, I suppose it could have been me. Backed out right away. 

I am in illinois and for the most part you have to do at least 800 to 1000 and typically you will end up with Iowa which is decent but I still end up with laggy games on that server. I don't know how to explain why it fluctuates so much either. One moment it is great, hit detection is spot on, next thing I know there is a minor lag and sometimes major.

I can tell you, as soon as I unplug the R1, this hardcore like hit detection in core turns off. #TeamDontGoNegative

How?

Actually its like you are one and two shotting everyone with a gun that isn't a two shot gun which makes me think you have some weird advantage on top of the netduma. Unless I'm seeing the wrong gun I did just wake up but even playing bots the game dosen't drop people like that.

Actually its like you are one and two shotting everyone with a gun that isn't a two shot gun which makes me think you have some weird advantage on top of the netduma. Unless I'm seeing the wrong gun I did just wake up but even playing bots the game dosen't drop people like that.

It is because there is no sound in the first video, the 3arc hit-marker sounds are out of sync and play behind the kill so it seems like it takes longer to kill.

Play with the sound off and things "seem" faster, it has been that way in all 3arc games.

That is why people think IW games have better so called hit detection because their hit-marker sounds are in sync.

If you put it only around Illinois with strict mode on than you will get a garbage connection. I tried just Illinois and it took a few minutes to find a lobby than when I did the lag was the worst I have ever experienced. A guy crossed the map of Fringe and killed me and my cross hairs was on him the whole time shooting and missed almost every shot. I thought I was getting laggy games with the Iowa server but that was nothing compared to this. Not sure who I was connecting to or what I was connecting to, I suppose it could have been me. Backed out right away. 

I am in illinois and for the most part you have to do at least 800 to 1000 and typically you will end up with Iowa which is decent but I still end up with laggy games on that server. I don't know how to explain why it fluctuates so much either. One moment it is great, hit detection is spot on, next thing I know there is a minor lag and sometimes major.

Yes this is the server that i connect to almost every time. Considering its physically only about 4-5 hours from where i live (middle of kansas) though i put my "home" location in the middle of missouri to include the Illinois server, but i almost always get put on the Iowa server. Or it will put me on Texas server which is so far away that of course im going to have delay.

So your just gonna be angry and not try what I said? There isn't any one cure all for anybody. I think Zennon set me up once but what works for him didn't work for me. You need to try people's suggestions . Most of the people here are just like you , people who bought a router to improve their gaming experience. But trust me, I used to be you, Bitching and moaning and getting angry doesn't help. I tried it! Ask anyone who's been here a while. My setup I'm sure is similar to some but still different. Their are many many people here willing to help if you give it a chance. Look at it this way, if you bought a car and frazier set the seat, radio, mirrors etc the way he likes or would use it would that work for you? No because you are different size, in this case I think the steering wheel may be in the wrong place etc etc. I would suggest just trying one thing at a time not switching everything. I don't know dude I'd hate to see you dissconnect it when it do work so well.

Purchasing a car and having him set the chair/etc up is way different. It's more so like having him setup the car for high performance, then i get in the car, it should drive exactly like it did for him.I am trying everything people offer, so im not ignoring the advise, because i spent $200 on this expecting to get a better connection, and im getting worse connections so you can see my frustrations. I am always open to suggestions. The biggest problem i have is I put my radius 600miles around. I temp ban the Iowa server and its literally the only one i continuously get put into it. So When i temp ban the server, i usually end up getting disconnected. Then i go back into finding a match and guess what?? IT PUTS ME RIGHT BACK INTO THE SAME SERVER, even though i just temp banned the server successfully. 

Ya thats nuts. You literally hit that guy in the first video with ONE bullet. I dont understand how your killing that way with a silencer. It seems like any gun i put on a silencer i cant ever get kills. It seems like between the time i shoot first and then they shoot I DIE first somehow. Its like his bullets are faster travelling than mine even with rapid fire on my gun and not on his.

. I think Zennon set me up once but what works for him didn't work for me.

That reason being that you had an ISP issue.

And you got upset when I told you such ;)

Thats what upsets me too. MODBOX remoted to me and tested my ping and looked at my settings and everything. Everything is good including my ISP. Nothing has helped and its the game :-(

Yes this is the server that i connect to almost every time. Considering its physically only about 4-5 hours from where i live (middle of kansas) though i put my "home" location in the middle of missouri to include the Illinois server, but i almost always get put on the Iowa server. Or it will put me on Texas server which is so far away that of course im going to have delay.

ia.png

I have no idea if this will help but late last night I reset my factory settings and inputted all my original settings and the lobbies have been much much better. Not sure if it is coincidence or if maybe something was going on that required me to do a factory setting. Don't have enough game time in since I reset it to put that as the possible solution but it was interesting how much better the games got late last night and today.

I also attached a png file to show you the area I typically connect. This has been the best server for me so far and since you are generally in the same region as me, perhaps this server will go OK for you. Go ahead and ask some of the more knowledgable guys in here if they think a factory reset will help. It's the second time I had to do it to cure an issue, last time was for a setting, that was stuck, this time it was out of frustration of getting such laggy lobbies and short of replacing my Comcast modem, I felt like that is all I could do.

Seems like my games are good at around 25ms to 35ms pings but even when they are at that, I do get really laggy games so it is hard for me to judge what is going on. I rarely get below 30ms though. Hopefully the factory reset is my end solution but time will tell.

Now even with all this, the hit detection is not perfect and I do get occasional skips and rubber banding but it seems to reduce that quite a bit. I am not 100% convinced R1 is a huge help but it is still early. I do love the fact for the most part, I can identify where I am connecting and although the price is steep for that benefit alone, to me it is worth it to be able to try and touble shoot the issues at least to the point I can control it on my end.

***** ADDED LATER AFTER PLAYING FOR AWHILE *****

Lag is back and it is really bad again. Haven't changed a single setting. Hopefully this is just a few games of this and I am not back to how things were before factory reset. If it is, I might do a 10 to 20 game test with R1 vs without to see if there is a noticeable difference but it is getting annoying. 

Actually, you got upset. Went off a little but I still love you. My isp was cured way before that. When you looked at my stuff I believe I had a blip in my internet and you pointed all to that.Not that my ISP is perfect but which one is?

Now at that time I was upset, not at you but everything. I still use a setup that you have stated makes no difference but it works for me. You are still my Zennon master though and I will always appreciate the help you and other have given me on here. I just needed to calm down and take my notes like us old people do until I figured what worked and didn't and then stick with it. Still have the note book if you want to see, its pretty funny , now, how frustrated, which I was trying to convey to poor Kirby here was me at one point. 

Love you Zennon 

It is because there is no sound in the first video, the 3arc hit-marker sounds are out of sync and play behind the kill so it seems like it takes longer to kill.

Play with the sound off and things "seem" faster, it has been that way in all 3arc games.

That is why people think IW games have better so called hit detection because their hit-marker sounds are in sync.

That is absolutely true but the second video has all sound in sync with my bullets as well. :)

The best bit for me is, I'm managing this with a cable internet connection whilst Fiber and DSL (fast path) IMO would give me better results.

That is absolutely true but the second video has all sound in sync with my bullets as well. :)

The best bit for me is, I'm managing this with a cable internet connection whilst Fiber and DSL (fast path) IMO would give me better results.

Again... How? Lol

I have no idea if this will help but late last night I reset my factory settings and inputted all my original settings and the lobbies have been much much better. Not sure if it is coincidence or if maybe something was going on that required me to do a factory setting. Don't have enough game time in since I reset it to put that as the possible solution but it was interesting how much better the games got late last night and today.

I also attached a png file to show you the area I typically connect. This has been the best server for me so far and since you are generally in the same region as me, perhaps this server will go OK for you. Go ahead and ask some of the more knowledgable guys in here if they think a factory reset will help. It's the second time I had to do it to cure an issue, last time was for a setting, that was stuck, this time it was out of frustration of getting such laggy lobbies and short of replacing my Comcast modem, I felt like that is all I could do.

Seems like my games are good at around 25ms to 35ms pings but even when they are at that, I do get really laggy games so it is hard for me to judge what is going on. I rarely get below 30ms though. Hopefully the factory reset is my end solution but time will tell.

Now even with all this, the hit detection is not perfect and I do get occasional skips and rubber banding but it seems to reduce that quite a bit. I am not 100% convinced R1 is a huge help but it is still early. I do love the fact for the most part, I can identify where I am connecting and although the price is steep for that benefit alone, to me it is worth it to be able to try and touble shoot the issues at least to the point I can control it on my end.

***** ADDED LATER AFTER PLAYING FOR AWHILE *****

Lag is back and it is really bad again. Haven't changed a single setting. Hopefully this is just a few games of this and I am not back to how things were before factory reset. If it is, I might do a 10 to 20 game test with R1 vs without to see if there is a noticeable difference but it is getting annoying. 

That's what frustrates me the most. I literally have my radius set to almost the entire Mid-west which includes multiple locations for Dedi-servers. You cant temp ban servers without strict mode on? that makes no sense. And when i do turn on strict mode to ban the Iowa server, i never connect to another dedicated server, not sure why, it like temp bans all of them, because i can see where i connect to and ping times are flatlining around 100 ms. 

I had better connections before the Netduma. And rubber banding never happened as much as it does WITH the netduma. Maybe thats what Netduma sells you on but doesnt tell you, that it intentionally lags you for a better connection. 

And due to a recent bug in the preview program of Xbox one, i have to power cycle my xbox every day because the controller wont wake the xbox up. So power cycles dont clear the connections. And do post pictures of Netduma saying showing your friends ping after you have a Netduma ..etc. etc..IS actually FALSE advertising in the US. Because it doesnt help your base ping like they say many times.

post-8876-0-39936800-1467291062_thumb.png

• Administrators

That's what frustrates me the most. I literally have my radius set to almost the entire Mid-west which includes multiple locations for Dedi-servers. You cant temp ban servers without strict mode on? that makes no sense. And when i do turn on strict mode to ban the Iowa server, i never connect to another dedicated server, not sure why, it like temp bans all of them, because i can see where i connect to and ping times are flatlining around 100 ms. 

I had better connections before the Netduma. And rubber banding never happened as much as it does WITH the netduma. Maybe thats what Netduma sells you on but doesnt tell you, that it intentionally lags you for a better connection. 

And due to a recent bug in the preview program of Xbox one, i have to power cycle my xbox every day because the controller wont wake the xbox up. So power cycles dont clear the connections. And do post pictures of Netduma saying showing your friends ping after you have a Netduma ..etc. etc..IS actually FALSE advertising in the US. Because it doesnt help your base ping like they say many times.

Put PA on and you'll find servers even if they're mis located which could well be what is occurring. The point of temp ban is to disable the one you're on and get another better game, if you had strict mode off you could connect to many others outside your radius which isn't ideal. What you want to be happening is temp banning a server in your radius that doesn't play well and get another better one in your radius so it's still a low ping.

Do you actually get low pings as shown by the duma? If so then it's doing its job. If that server is rubber banding then its not the fault of the duma, you have a low ping, that shouldn't be happening so there is likely another cause. I can tell you for a fact that we would never create artificial latency to sell units. I was the second ever beta tester. I joined the company because I used the product and I saw the differences. It works. 

That's not false advertising, we've never claimed to lower base ping. In fact if you have watched our network myths videos on YouTube we have been very explicit in saying theres nothing we can do for base ping. It's out of our control. Our advertising is pointed towards the drop in ping when utilising the Geo & congestion control combined, considering that console gamers are at the whim of matchmaking, until now. QoS exists but has never really made a dent in queuing/local congestion, until now. Those are the points we're getting across.

I understand you are frustrated that it may not be working well for you but implying we do false advertising and implementing artificial lag to sell units doesn't help get your issue resolved when this is a support thread. I am happy to do another 1 on 1 with you if you post in the 1 on 1 section :)

Put PA on and you'll find servers even if they're mis located which could well be what is occurring. The point of temp ban is to disable the one you're on and get another better game, if you had strict mode off you could connect to many others outside your radius which isn't ideal. What you want to be happening is temp banning a server in your radius that doesn't play well and get another better one in your radius so it's still a low ping.

Do you actually get low pings as shown by the duma? If so then it's doing its job. If that server is rubber banding then its not the fault of the duma, you have a low ping, that shouldn't be happening so there is likely another cause. I can tell you for a fact that we would never create artificial latency to sell units. I was the second ever beta tester. I joined the company because I used the product and I saw the differences. It works. 

That's not false advertising, we've never claimed to lower base ping. In fact if you have watched our network myths videos on YouTube we have been very explicit in saying theres nothing we can do for base ping. It's out of our control. Our advertising is pointed towards the drop in ping when utilising the Geo & congestion control combined, considering that console gamers are at the whim of matchmaking, until now. QoS exists but has never really made a dent in queuing/local congestion, until now. Those are the points we're getting across.

I understand you are frustrated that it may not be working well for you but implying we do false advertising and implementing artificial lag to sell units doesn't help get your issue resolved when this is a support thread. I am happy to do another 1 on 1 with you if you post in the 1 on 1 section :)

No thats what i was saying. You can't lower base ping << Thats what you do advertise. But All of the Twitter posts are like "look at my ping" But it doesnt lower your ping unless your ALWAYS getting hosts on the other coast. Is there a way to see where your Bo3 game host is located without having the host filter enabled? I'd like to see what hosts im connecting to without having host filtering enabled. Just to see where i connect all the time. Because i seem to always connect to the Iowa server most likely because its 3 hours away from my house. But I would like to temp ban that and still connect to ded servers. What happens is I go from instantly connecting to a lobby to taking 10-15 minutes to find a lobby. Its like it temp bans ALL the dedi servers. Because I live in the middle of three of them and all three are located within my radius, i should connect to another one of those dedi servers right?

Also how does your QOS work? Because other "gaming" routers QOS settings actually lower the amount of upload speed they give you. Wouldnt your QOS work better if you dedicated a % of upload to a certain device? I notice all the time my xbox is much more speedier and responsive when i used to QOS throttle my upload to 1 m. (I have 12 upload). But when you enable CC in the Netduma and do the 70up/70down % it doesnt lower my upload amount at all.

No thats what i was saying. You can't lower base ping << Thats what you do advertise. But All of the Twitter posts are like "look at my ping" But it doesnt lower your ping unless your ALWAYS getting hosts on the other coast. Is there a way to see where your Bo3 game host is located without having the host filter enabled? I'd like to see what hosts im connecting to without having host filtering enabled. Just to see where i connect all the time. Because i seem to always connect to the Iowa server most likely because its 3 hours away from my house. But I would like to temp ban that and still connect to ded servers. What happens is I go from instantly connecting to a lobby to taking 10-15 minutes to find a lobby. Its like it temp bans ALL the dedi servers. Because I live in the middle of three of them and all three are located within my radius, i should connect to another one of those dedi servers right?

Also how does your QOS work? Because other "gaming" routers QOS settings actually lower the amount of upload speed they give you. Wouldnt your QOS work better if you dedicated a % of upload to a certain device? I notice all the time my xbox is much more speedier and responsive when i used to QOS throttle my upload to 1 m. (I have 12 upload). But when you enable CC in the Netduma and do the 70up/70down % it doesnt lower my upload amount at all.

You obviously don't know how the router works and aren't listening to the suggestions people are giving you.

The duma has the features you mention with CC,it's called Device Prioritization (the flower) which lets you allocate any percentage of bandwidth to any device you want to.And if your running your sliders at 70/70 and your duma is set up right it will lower your bandwidth.Try running a speedtest with your sliders at 100 /100 and then 70/70 and the results will be different,unless you have Super Turbo Mode ticked in Miscellaneous Settings (which you shouldn't) as it disables CC.

As I've said before if you don't like the server your playing on MOVE YOUR HOME LOCATION and try a different set of servers,experiment a little bit on your own and find out which setup works best with your network.

And as far as the whole false advertising thing goes,again I will just say you don't understand how the duma works or gaming over the internet.If your other router works better for you then sell the duma and use your old router,problem solved.It's frustrating when people just bitch about their connecting being worse with the duma,which I don't buy (you have other factors involved)...common sense should tell you that if your connection and gaming was better with your old router then use that router.But I still say it's operator error and not being set up correctly.

• Administrators

No thats what i was saying. You can't lower base ping

We've never once advertised that it lowers your base ping. When we're saying look at the ping etc this is because people connect further away so have higher pings or they have congestion at home which raises their pings. If you disable the Geo-filter you can still see where you connect to. Allow the map to clear completely before searching with it off though. It definitely doesn't temp ban all the servers. At the end of the day it is restricting the search, if the game really wants to put you elsewhere it will try to. Shouldn't be taking that long though to search. 

It does actually lower your speeds. If it's not doing that you either have super turbo mode on or all your devices aren't connected to the duma. Also device prio means you can dedicate bandwidth to devices.

Archived